Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

ONEGoal November 2007 tradeshow

I definitely scored a 68.1 on it, and JR's flex shot's WAY better. Probably didn't help that i used the AK-27 110 flex.

I definitely scored a 68.1 on it, and JR's flex shot's WAY better. Probably didn't help that i used the AK-27 110 flex.

The only RH thing I could find was a Gagne that came up to my nipples. Damn thing didn't flex at all.

Show recap is a work in Progress, feel free to ask any questions as I get this finished off.

Show recap

Overview: This is the worst attended show that I have seen, both from the vendors as well as the dealers. I think this shows that nobody really wants a show this early in the season. Having a trade show without the three biggest names in the industry would be like making something without something. The fact that all three of those companies are members of the association that put on the show is even more damning.

Blackstone:

The new “spinner” system for dressing a wheel is the biggest advancement in sharpening skates in a long time. It will make dressing the wheel much easier for the less experienced and will still benefit experts by reducing the amount of wheel that is lost every time you need to change the radius or even when you just clean up the radius you are using. Reducing consumables and improving the quality of the sharpening at the same time, it's a huge improvement. If you sharpen skates, you need to talk to Blackstone about this system.

Mission:

I liked the new Fuel 130 gloves, a major step up over the 120s. I was disappointed in the Intake VN and the new sticks though. While the puck feel of the Fuel Ti was nice the shooting performance was less than impressive for me. I couldn't get the 85 to load up at all on a wrist shot and had to put a lot of weight on it to even feel any flex at all. I was told that some had the flexes mis-marked but this would have had to be a 110+ for that to be the case. The helmet was nice and light but the VN isn't the traditional style padding. It feels a lot more slick and there was still movement on my head despite having it very snug. I'm guessing the material won't absorb sweat and will remain softer for a longer period of time than traditional VN pads, but it feels a bit odd.

Warrior:

I checked out the new MIA-look gloves and they seemed really cheap. They were light but the padding was almost nonexistent and the workmanship was really sub-par. I believe these were the import version that will be available and certainly not even close to the quality that I have seen on MIA branded gloves. I saw the new sticks but without using them, it's hard to really learn anything useful about them.

Sher-wood:

Finally got a chance to see their composite sticks as nobody local carries them. I found them to be more than a little bottom heavy, regardless of the curve. I was really impressed by their new gloves. The new SDP-style (didn't get the name) gloves were comfortable and fairly light with a lot of movement. The Rhythm style was pretty poor in comparison.

Fury:

I'm not a fan of the gloves with crocs-lite. The rolls in the padding actually run against the back of your hand and it's an odd feeling. It may work for some people, but not for me. I'm really interested in trying the shins at some point, I think it's a great idea to use crocs-lite to line and pad shins and elbows. I think it's going to be possible to use it on shoulder pads and even a girdle down the road.

Christian/Harrow:

Lots of options with the new custom program and the sticks look good. I was disappointed that the custom shafts were all taped up on the wall and not available to actually hold though. With any luck we'll get more info on this program soon.

did you get a chance to check out the rebellion booth? i was very impressed with the top of the line composite stick, but other than that it looked like garbage. also got a chance to see ballistick for the first time, not impressed. i was told the caliber 52 was retailing for $299? if thats true it takes balls to put out a "no name" stick as the most expensive stick on the market and have it be a run of the mill composite "onepiece"

Sounds like it was a good thing MissC and I ended up having to miss the show. Short of having the opportunity to meet up with JR again (which is always a blast :D ) doesn't sound like we missed anything...

Warrior:

I saw the new sticks but without using them, it's hard to really learn anything useful about them.

What is the new line up?

Ross wanted to see ya, I think in the near future we need to go to London and sit down and talk about the goal pads.

I didn't even know Eagle was there. I didn't recall seeing them in the vendor list... :huh:

At any rate I have a mini side review coming in this week. After I modified up the pads to a point where they were at least playable I met up with my friend Mike again (yes another goalie Mike) and asked him if he would wear 'em for a bit and do a write up as well. He's supposed to be dropping them back off at my house tonight with his thoughts on them. I'll just have to transfer his write up from paper to type :)... Should be interesting. He's more a hybrid/stand up goalie (aka Brodeur) and he'll be comparing the Eagles to his newish Brian Heaton Goalie (BHG) pads. I'm looking forward to his thoughts. More so than mine anyways... ;)

Should have a big update posted before the weekend...then, we'll have my return to the Eagles after a period of time back in my trusty Velos, stay tuned, should be some good reading.

Fury:

I'm not a fan of the gloves with crocs-lite. The rolls in the padding actually run against the back of your hand and it's an odd feeling. It may work for some people, but not for me. I'm really interested in trying the shins at some point, I think it's a great idea to use crocs-lite to line and pad shins and elbows.

I think their gloves are too stiff, although I don't think that's due to the croslite -- they need better palms. However, I really liked the elbow pads with the croslite. The croslite seemed much more comfortable than typical materials, although I think the middle velcro strap needs to be longer. I tried to continually talk up the pads with their Director of Sales, but he wasn't getting the hint.....

29 Sports will try to post some of the interviews we videotaped this week, but their media guy also has to work on the HHOF Induction weekend. Kerry, Mike and I conducted interviews at the Legends Game and Induction Ceremony, which should be up throughout the week. However, the video guy is going on vacation next week, so only a few of the clips from the tradeshow will be up this week, while the rest would be posted two weeks from now.

By the way, here's my interesting Detroit story.

A number of us were remarking that Detroit didn't seem as bad as we were expecting. For instance, I had taken the bus from the airport and passed neighborhoods that were cleaner than the reputation they have. Downtown Detroit has a number of good-looking taller buildings.

Fast forward to Saturday night. We had bought speakers at Guitar Center for the booth, but couldn't get them to work, so I drove out to Southfield to return them. I hadn't eaten at the show, so I stopped off at Wendy's at Exit 12 (7 Mile Road) on 10N. I had been talking to Chadd because he had to leave the show unexpectedly, when I joked with him that I needed to get a move on, since I was sitting in Wendy's parking lot and "nobody looks like me."

I walked into the restaurant and had an immediate "Whoa!" moment. The ordering area was completely enclosed by glass, with two microphones and a 8" by 18" opening for them to slide the food through. They said it was bulletproof. I can't lie, it's pretty intimidating to walk into a fast food restaurant and see bulletproof glass covering the register area. Let's just say I didn't bother to buckle my seat belt as I left the parking lot....

I walked into the restaurant and had an immediate "Whoa!" moment. The ordering area was completely enclosed by glass, with two microphones and a 8" by 18" opening for them to slide the food through. They said it was bulletproof. I can't lie, it's pretty intimidating to walk into a fast food restaurant and see bulletproof glass covering the register area. Let's just say I didn't bother to buckle my seat belt as I left the parking lot....

First time in D-town, eh? Almost all of the fast food joints are like that. The city isn't as dirty and run-down as you might think, but the poorer suburbs are really dragging, and certain parts of the city that you would never go to are the parts with the bad reputation. Try getting a footlong Subway through that stupid sliding box!

I'd love to see pics of all of this great new stuff. Unfortunately, my LHS carries about 5 different sets of gloves that they haven't sold in 2 years, 5 styles of skates (none of which are my size), 5 different helmets, and a handful of various accessories. They'll get the 9kO and the S17 soon enough, so I at least get to see the new sticks.

I guess I'll just have to spend even more time at Perani's and figure out where JR has his shop when I'm in Detroit area for the holidays.

A number of us were remarking that Detroit didn't seem as bad as we were expecting. For instance, I had taken the bus from the airport and passed neighborhoods that were cleaner than the reputation they have. Downtown Detroit has a number of good-looking taller buildings.

Fast forward to Saturday night. We had bought speakers at Guitar Center for the booth, but couldn't get them to work, so I drove out to Southfield to return them. I hadn't eaten at the show, so I stopped off at Wendy's at Exit 12 (7 Mile Road) on 10N. I had been talking to Chadd because he had to leave the show unexpectedly, when I joked with him that I needed to get a move on, since I was sitting in Wendy's parking lot and "nobody looks like me."

Man, you're crazy. Should've eaten in Southfield.

YEah, first time I ever saw a bulletpoof restaurant was the Popeyes in Pontiac. The drive-thru is like that too - got a lazy susan with a cup for your change.

YEah, first time I ever saw a bulletpoof restaurant was the Popeyes in Pontiac. The drive-thru is like that too - got a lazy susan with a cup for your change.

As I said to JR on Friday, I've never seen a city that was so devoid of pedestrians and traffic on a weekday. We missed the morning rush and there were so few people and cars around that it was surreal. Places like Philly, NYC, Washington, Boston, Toronto and even mid size cities around here seem to have many more people on the street over the course of the day.

I was at the show sat. afternoon and got the "all access pass" as my friend was there to shoot footage of the new stomp goalie gear. It was cool for me because it was my first ever industry type of show, but i did have higher expectations. a few of the reps i talked to said it was a horrible turn out. but one positive, i did get a whole whack of free rolls of tape from that booth!

As I said to JR on Friday, I've never seen a city that was so devoid of pedestrians and traffic on a weekday. We missed the morning rush and there were so few people and cars around that it was surreal. Places like Philly, NYC, Washington, Boston, Toronto and even mid size cities around here seem to have many more people on the street over the course of the day.

SalmingUSA, I believe the rule is something like, "The 'Eight Mile scene' you think you're going to see if you watched that stupid Eminem flick has moved to Six and Seven Mile." 7 Mile off the Lodge isn't exactly in the nicest area of Northwest Detroit...

The bulletproof drive-through seems to be a relatively universal thing in D-town, but it is a little unnerving the first time you see it. I did a double-take when I saw one on Woodward across from the Majestic as it isn't bad there at all, but I suppose Wayne State's a bit of a draw.

Chadd, Metro Detroit has a horrible public transportation system, so everybody drives to where they're going, and because they're all driving...no foot traffic. For those of us who grew up during the bad old days of ye olde Murder City, downtown's comparatively jam-packed, and there are areas like Campus Martius that get some pretty good foot traffic...but it's still a bleak landscape.

Chadd, Metro Detroit has a horrible public transportation system, so everybody drives to where they're going, and because they're all driving...no foot traffic. For those of us who grew up during the bad old days of ye olde Murder City, downtown's comparatively jam-packed, and there are areas like Campus Martius that get some pretty good foot traffic...but it's still a bleak landscape.

There wasn't any auto traffic during the day either. At least, there wasn't any when compared with a "normal" major metropolitan area.