Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Accord

Best way to kill bacteria inside my skates?

I play with no socks and have used the same skates for 2 years now. The inside of my skates stink like nothing else and I know there is a ton of bacteria and germs and shit inside of my skates.

What is the best way to kill the bacteria and whatnot?

Is there a spray I can buy or something? How about spray for athlete's foot, would spraying that inside my skates do anything?

Thanks

I'm in the same boat, sans the smell problem but that doesn't mean there isn't God-knows-what growing in there. Sharper Image has some Lotus machine that will ozonate water and you can use it as a cleanser. Ozone will kill pretty much anything, so I'm going for that. I think it's a bit over $100 but I'm going to give it a whirl anyway.

Nothing beats airing them out. I use funk free and air out my skates as soon as I get home and it has been working pretty well for me

Mix equal parts wintergreen rubbing alcohol and hydrogen peroxide in a bottle. Spray on liberally. Let dry. Enjoy your fresh, clean equipment!

Mix equal parts wintergreen rubbing alcohol and hydrogen peroxide in a bottle. Spray on liberally. Let dry. Enjoy your fresh, clean equipment!

Josh tipped me to this method about a year ago. I've been using it ever since and it really works well.

I think there was a thread on this topic about a month ago.

I remove the footbeds and use lots of Lysol after every game.

Yeah, I started that thread. It sort of turned into a thread about blisters in addition to skate stink.

Not to hijack this one, but I've solved the blister issue. I'm no longer skating with thin liner-type socks. I've gone back to using my regular thickness moisture wicking socks and voila! no more blisters.

On the stink front - I'm going to try that solution above with the alcohol and peroxide.

Is wintergreen a brand or a type of rubbing alcohol? Like does it smell all wintery fresh? :)

Hey, man!

First off, my BB shaft and blades just got in last Saturday. I haven't used em yet because of a busted right hand due to some major slash work. I'll let you and prenny know as soon as I use it!

With regard to the Wintergreen alcohol, does it have to be this particular brand and/or model? Can I use regular isopropyl alcohol with a 70% grade?

Thanks!

That's what the wintergreen is, isoproyl alcohol...they just add wintergreen oil in it to make it smell minty. Check at Walgreen's, it's like green alcohol.

For those who wear no socks, I'd be cautious about Lysol, might get a weird skin reaction.

And I'd throw this out there, would using UV light work? Kinda like sticking safety goggles in the cabinet with UV light?

Well, I think the smell is obviously the 'penalty' of not wearing socks.

Take out the insoles, take a picture, and post it for us, haha.

I don't really do anything with my skates, I pretty much just let them get smelly. If you want them fresher, replace the insoles or wash them, they seem to be the main culprit.

I play with no socks and have used the same skates for 2 years now.  The inside of my skates stink like nothing else and I know there is a ton of bacteria and germs and shit inside of my skates. 

Is there a spray I can buy or something?  How about spray for athlete's foot, would spraying that inside my skates do anything?

Thanks

1) Shaving cream with lanolin :D

2) SaniSport

I still cant believe that shaving cream with lanolin does work. I mean i actually know that it works cause so many people around here love it. I just cant see me spraying shaving cream into my gloves, skate and so on.

By the way, i dont know where to get lanolin free shaving cream here.

I play with no socks and have used the same skates for 2 years now.  The inside of my skates stink like nothing else and I know there is a ton of bacteria and germs and shit inside of my skates. 

Is there a spray I can buy or something?  How about spray for athlete's foot, would spraying that inside my skates do anything?

Thanks

1) Shaving cream with lanolin :D

2) SaniSport

I still cant believe that shaving cream with lanolin does work. I mean i actually know that it works cause so many people around here love it. I just cant see me spraying shaving cream into my gloves, skate and so on.

By the way, i dont know where to get lanolin free shaving cream here.

From what I hear just check your local store. I forget the brand but it's like the cheapest shaving cream in the store, lol.

But I agree with you, I just don't see me trying it out. I might try it on one of my old catchers but I don't think I'll be doing to to my new one90 gloves.

http://www.barbasol.com/productsGELextrapro.html

Also, my bad. It is shave GEL, not cream.

I want to get a shower now, when im in the bathroom i'll check my shaving gel and let you know.

But im still psyched about those ideas. I mean, its amazing to see which groceries work out on hockeyequipment.

For example this peanutbutter thing on goalie pads or the shaving gel thing. I think its pretty funny. Someone must have tried it and it worked out.

Honestly, I dont know what you guys are talking about... I would NEVER put shaving cream in my skates, thats one of the stupidest things I have ever heard.

Go out and spend a few dollars and on some anti bacterial/ anti fungal spray.

Lanolin is just a wax that is common waterproofer..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lanolin

All you are doing is taking your expensive lining (clareno in most high end skates) and adding a layer of wax to it...

I guess what it comes down to is, if you want to stick wax in your skates in a half assed attempt to clean and sanitize them, go ahead. I will just spend a few dollars on some anti-fungal/bacterial spray and not trash my expensive skates.

Honestly, I dont know what you guys are talking about... I would NEVER put shaving cream in my skates, thats one of the stupidest things I have ever heard.

Go out and spend a few dollars and on some anti bacterial/ anti fungal spray.

Lanolin is just a wax that is common waterproofer..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lanolin

All you are doing is taking your expensive lining (clareno in most high end skates) and adding a layer of wax to it...

I guess what it comes down to is, if you want to stick wax in your skates in a half assed attempt to clean and sanitize them, go ahead. I will just spend a few dollars on some anti-fungal/bacterial spray and not trash my expensive skates.

You might have missed this part from the link you provided:

and recent studies indicate that antibiotics are also present in the lanolin.

I don't think I'd use it on skates but I don't see how it could hurt to rub some in the palms of your gloves.

For gloves it's the best thing around. Been using that on baseball gloves since I was 5.

I can see that.. I have always used conditioners for my gloves but my glove is made out of cowhide leather. I still dont think it would be a good idea for hockey skates/gloves.

Go ahead and try it though.. Its just my personal preference.

Definitely not something I'd have thought to try for skates nor would I try. I think i'm just going to stop being a Nuke LaLoosh and just wear socks this year.

http://www.barbasol.com/productsGELextrapro.html

Also, my bad.  It is shave GEL, not cream.

I want to get a shower now, when im in the bathroom i'll check my shaving gel and let you know.

But im still psyched about those ideas. I mean, its amazing to see which groceries work out on hockeyequipment.

For example this peanutbutter thing on goalie pads or the shaving gel thing. I think its pretty funny. Someone must have tried it and it worked out.

Shaving cream...ok, but peanutbutter for what? Sounds kinda sketchy, especially for $800 pads.

For all of you naysayers...

I know of at least 10 NHL teams that use a lanolin-based shave gel to REMOVE smell and KILL bacteria in gloves and skates, amongst other items. As a matter of fact, equipment managers wash their hands with the gel INSTEAD of soap because there is an enzyme in the lanolin that kills bacteria.

Source?