Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

xMenace

I made it!

I got an email from my schools hockey GM saying they needed a few kids to play on the level 3 team, which isn't as competetive. Only 2 practices a week and 14 games, so only 1 per weekend. It's sort of the option for those that want to play hockey, but focus more-so on school work and not be as busy with hockey. I'm thinking about maybe playing , I had to send him an email asking whta my chances were after not skating since March though :)

Apart from the high school try-outs, my daughter's competitive team try-out is always in the spring. Out of curiosity - which do you like better the spring or the fall for try-outs?

Apart from the high school try-outs, my daughter's competitive team try-out is always in the spring. Out of curiosity - which do you like better the spring or the fall for try-outs?

I like fall tryouts. My spring tryouts felt more like camps, They are too long and drawn out. I know that you get more practice time in if you make it as a team, but honestly do you need all summer to get a team put together?

spring camps are used as a basis to see how players return to camps in fall. In spring a guy is stgill goin to be in hockey shape, so come fall, teams try to see who's dedicated and who kept at it all summer.

Once you've stepped out of travel hockey, tryouts are just a legal word,and teams are already made

Tried out for 4 teams, made 5. Two teams in the same organization. I figured I'd go on the safe side this year, since last year I only made one team. This year I made every one and was faced with a tough decision. In the end, I'm playing Midget Minor A for the Hollydell Hurricanes.

I'm currently in tryouts for my AAA club team, which i played last year, was guranteed a spot on my high school team, but our high school league/team is terrible so decided not to play, but i also tried out for the junior team that plays out of our home rink, and got cut just yesterday, but i wasn't expecting to crack that line up anyway, being the only 16 year old there. So this year i'm expecting to play Midget AAA again.

Edit: Our hockey season ends in late April, we start conditioning camp early September, and tryouts usually late September, early October. My junior camp started August 18th, and high school started on the 10th of September. All our local tryouts and stuff start usually around late August early September.

BTW, I am playing 2 leagues this year. I have a house league that I play with and 2nd year of college puck. This is the first year that our coach will let us play 2 leagues at once. Last year he was hesitant to let us go to drop-in. House league games are on tuesday and thursday nights so they dont really conflict with my other practices :)

Our house league is being sponsored by our local play it again.. woot.. free socks :)

spring camps are used as a basis to see how players return to camps in fall. In spring a guy is stgill goin to be in hockey shape, so come fall, teams try to see who's dedicated and who kept at it all summer.

Hockey is so far in the performance development dark ages it is nuts.

Tryouts in the spring are just wrong IMHO. Spring and summer are for growth and conditioning., especially for youngsters.

My son looks like he's going to make our bantam AAA team. It's a 'no-brainer' as a good coach-friend of mine says, and I agree. But those damn politics like to creep in.

I was always under the impression that tryouts in the spring were for two reasons...

1)you've been skating all winter and should be in top hockey shape, meaning conditioning won't get in the way of skill evaluation

2)it allows the coach an entire summer with the team. maybe 4 extra months? You can build a lot of chemistry, and conditioning/strength in that time. just my opinion though.