Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LkptTiger

WTF, Global Warming?

It's December 13th and it's 50 degrees here.

Growing-up, any birthday that fell on a night when I didn't have a game was celebrated by skipping school and spending the entire day playing pond hockey, then, later on, going to practice.

And then, a couple years ago, it just stopped getting cold.

Now, my birthday was yesterday, and I can tell you that I was probably the only person in Western New York to have thought about pond hockey at any given point during the day; it was damn close to 60 degrees in the afternoon. It just didn't FEEL like a birthday to me. I was actually depressed. A December birthday just isn't a December birthday without the cold, the snow and the ice.

I'm getting pissed. I'm a hockey player - winter is my favorite time of the year, and I'm getting gypped.

Guest OSTOR

It was melting here today and yesterday and the average for this time of year is about -20

Celcius

Growing-up, any birthday that fell on a night when I didn't have a game was celebrated by skipping school and spending the entire day playing pond hockey, then, later on, going to practice.

Now, my birthday was yesterday, and I can tell you that I was probably the only person in Western New York to have thought about pond hockey at any given point during the day; it was damn close to 60 degrees in the afternoon. It just didn't FEEL like a birthday to me. I was actually depressed. A December birthday just isn't a December birthday without the cold, the snow and the ice.

I'm getting pissed. I'm a hockey player - winter is my favorite time of the year, and I'm getting gypped.

Im totally with you. Its the freaking middle of December...where are our Blizzards??

Ive been readng OSTOR's thread on backyard rinks...and i cant even post pics of my own because it is way too warm to have one. Awhile back we would have it up by the beginning of November, and now we are even lucky if it stays cold long enough to have one at all. Here in WNY, we will be lucky if we have snow on Christmas! <_< Its quite depressing. Thats what i always enjoyed about living here, warm summers, and cold winters. The best of both worlds. If i wanted to be warm all the time, id move to Florida.

If you haven't already - do yourself a favour and watch Al Gore's movie on global warming (An Inconvenient Truth)- the realities behind our climate change and the speed it's happening is startling.

The fall/winter average temperatures are up around here but we also had a cooler than average summer. All in all, we're still cooler this year than the average in my area.

If you haven't already - do yourself a favour and watch Al Gore's movie on global warming (An Inconvenient Truth)- the realities behind our climate change and the speed it's happening is startling.

You actually believe that nonsense? I wonder, did he write the script for this movie beore or after he invented the Internet.

Read the scientific (non-politically based or bias) journals on global warming and you will have a COMPLETELY different perspective.

For those old enough to remember the 70's...you will recall all the hype about the "return of the ice age" because of "global cooling". In reality global temps are cyclic...we are just in a warmer cycle due to a varity of reasons (very few of which are "man-made").

I am not saying it isn't warmer this year than 10 years ago...I am just saying that it isn't exactly time to start thinking about the end of the world. The polar ice caps aren't going to melt tomorrow and leave NYC underwater...

You actually believe that nonsense?

I've seen bits-and-pieces of it on one of the campus cable channels here and was thinking the same thing. For some reason, it's very hard to take seriously (or, at least, urgently). Then again, I take just about everything with a massive grain of salt now-a-days.

The fall/winter average temperatures are up around here but we also had a cooler than average summer. All in all, we're still cooler this year than the average in my area.

We had one of the warmest summers on record in this area.

Guest OSTOR

It rained here maybe a total of 10 tmes the whole summer here and the rest of the days were boiling hot and this winter has been relatively warm

Around here last night we had thunder and lightning. It just doesn't seem right. Kind of like when you watch those Christmas movies of people in warm climates and they have their lights up and fake snow but nothing real on the ground.

As a snowboarder, im very mad at global warming, my msn name even says i hate global warming haha. Ive only been out once this year and all the snow that we had is now gone because of the warm weather and rain. I dont even know if ill get a pass this year because it is shaping up to be a crap season.

I feel exactly the same way. I'm only 19 but it seems like i'm 60 thinking about the good'ol days when there were snow banks higher than my house.

I really hope it's only been badluck for 3 years but i doubt it.

Same boat as you Tiger, 50 Degrees and RAIN here. It's been a horrible snowboarding/skiing season the past couple of years; after every time it's snowed at all it was followed by a 45+ degree day and rain. I doubt it's a fluke and the "global warming" really is happening, which is a shame. Soon (scientists say) our average temperatures will rise about 5 degrees, which doesn't sound like a lot but it really is. Days that would've produced snow will instead give us sleet and rain, and over here it won't be uncommon to see 100 degree days in the summer. Just think, then, about how the weather's going to be in 30 years... :unsure:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4...teller+bullshit

The earth is warming, but not because we are burning some coal. The earth goes through warmings and coolings, it happens. Watch the Bullshit video, its interesting. Its nice to see a video that uses facts.