Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FatAndSlow

Defense: Playing the body

Been playing about 2 years and am starting to get a little more confident in my skating. I play inline pickup and league. Wanted to get advise/tactics on playing the body on defense. Sorry if this has been discussed already.

Small tip. Get your stick between his legs. Dont move it around to trip him, but at least that way he can not cross over. You can also control him by moving your stick one way or another. If the stick is pressed one way it will hit the back of his knee forcing him to go a certain way.

I've never gotten a penalty doing this. Good refs wont call it.

Whenever im on defense I could probably be classified as a offensive d-man at best. Ive got the defensive ability of Sergei Gonchar :lol: Whenever "take the body" its usually when someone is watching the puck and I catch them with the head down. Other then that, along the boards im pretty good at rubbing people out. Clearing the crease is my favorite thing to do though.

I hate playing D though <_<

Good refs wont call it.

Good refs should call it, especially with the new standard of rules enforcement. If your stick is between his legs, you're impeding his ability to move.

If you're playing the body, have good position between the player/puck and the net. Also, don't cross over if you're defending on a 1-1 or 2-1, but moreso for the 1-1 as you may need to get to the pass lane on the 2-1.

Good refs wont call it.

Good refs should call it, especially with the new standard of rules enforcement. If your stick is between his legs, you're impeding his ability to move.

If you're playing the body, have good position between the player/puck and the net. Also, don't cross over if you're defending on a 1-1 or 2-1, but moreso for the 1-1 as you may need to get to the pass lane on the 2-1.

I think with the new rules, the refs would have more of a reason to call it, but they still dont. Its not an attempt to trip. If you step up to him right when your doing it there is no where he can go. With your stick in his legs, he would trip on his own fault if he tried to escape.

Good refs wont call it.

I think with the new rules, the refs would have more of a reason to call it, but they still dont. Its not an attempt to trip. If you step up to him right when your doing it there is no where he can go. With your stick in his legs, he would trip on his own fault if he tried to escape.

He'd trip because you're limiting his movement with your stick. It's obstruction.

It's a very effective move, but it's still supossed to be called, reguardless of what the ref thinks.

Small tip. Get your stick between his legs. Dont move it around to trip him, but at least that way he can not cross over. You can also control him by moving your stick one way or another. If the stick is pressed one way it will hit the back of his knee forcing him to go a certain way.

I've never gotten a penalty doing this. Good refs wont call it.

With the new standards you should be going to the box every time you do that. It was highlighted in the video that all referees watched prior to the season. The refs who don't call it, shouldn't be working games in the future.

Going to basics, you need to identify if it's an attack or contain situation

Attack situations are

1) When you have support

2) when the player doesn't have full control of the puck

3) When the player has his back turned

4) when he is in a dangerous scoring postion

Otherwise, you contain and just try and box him out staying in position.

When actually engaging physically, stayin within your base and don't lunge at the player. Keep your hands down and use your legs to drive.

look at his chest as hes coming down on you, and dont take your eyes of him and when you feel you can slow him down by taking him out or rubbing him off do it. Another thing is you have to have a quick pivot so you can make him go where ever you want him too. But another part of it is mental too, its all finding ways that make you or help you take the man out.

wow my first sentence sounds pretty erotic

I don't play D but on the VERY rare occasion I back check too hard (Extremily rare :D) I start to let him clase the gap between us try to pokecheck him to make him look down at it to try and dangle or whatever then stop put my shoulder in his chest and put the guy on his ass.

As I said I don't play D so I guess I don't have the defensive responsabilities so if he sidesteps me or he weighs 300lbs and steamrolls me and goes right by me I should be coverd.

To be unbeatable in 1 on 1 situations, you gotta be able to see the puck while you're looking at your opponent in the eyes or chest, kind of like a good peripherical vision. Whenever the puck gets close enought (but never look at it, "feel it"), make him loose it with your stick and if he manages to keep the puck with a little move, block his way, push him, just dont let him past.

Like top said, you gotta have a good pivot because a guy skating a full speed could go wide on you easily if you pivot too slowly.

block his way, push him, just dont let him past.

In my league at least, using your arms or hands to restrict the guys movement will get you 2 minutes in the slammer.

block his way, push him, just dont let him past.

In my league at least, using your arms or hands to restrict the guys movement will get you 2 minutes in the slammer.

Off course, keep your arms in front of you, you can't use them to slow him down but a good push will always be legal in hockey IMO, even if the guy falls on his back.

Depends on were you pick the man up.

- Always try to keep him on the outside. this puts you between him and the goalie.

- Position your stick so that it is in the middle. if your left defense it would be in the 1 o'click position and if right defense it would be in the 11 o'clock position. again trying to take away the middle.

- watch his chest. he cannot fake the direction he is going with his chest. shoulders yes head yes chest no.

Lots of good tips, here's what comes to mind when I play D:

If you're slow on your feet (like I am) and try to use your stick to poke the puck, you'll get beat with just a simple move. So if you position yourself between the forward and your goalie, you can push the forward off to one side, cutting down his shooting options and giving your goalie a better chance.

Another thing is how much room you give the guy...if you get too close, the guy might be able to move around you but if you get too far, you give him more shooting options. So by watching his chest and watching the puck out of the corner of your eye, you can stay with the guy, and if there's an opportunity you can step up and push the guy (hand in front not to the side and holding or punching) and poke the puck off the stick.

Those are my big things with 1-on-1 D...position yourself in front of the guy, control the play by pushing him off to the outside, and if you have the opportunity step up and poke off the puck.

1) keep the guy to the outside which puts you between him and the goalie.

2) do not wait to long to turn on him. If he is coming down fast and you try to match him for to long going backwards you will get burned and by the time you turn on him it may be to late. Sometimes you need to turn early on him and take him to the boards shoulder to shoulder.

3) Do not give up to much ice to the guy. The more you wait to play him the faster they get through the neutral zone and the deeper they get in the O-zone.

4) be careful skating backwards by using crossovers. A good forward will wait untill you are crossing in the opposite direction and cut against you leaving you cross legged.

5) keep the elbows and stick close in to your body instaead of flailing them around to poke check. This usually draws the skater a little closer in letting you poke check better.

6) only take the body if you have to. play position 1st and the puck 2nd. If you try to play the body and miss then you are getting burnt bad.

That's my basics for playing defense.

Differentiate between "taking the body", as in moving in to initiate contact, and "playing the body". I tell my guys to always be playing the body, even when stick checking. Even on a failed stick check attempt, you should still remain in good position as outlined by other posters above. If a missed stick check takes you out of position, you have overcommitted. Stick check from the shoulder down, with the arm only, the rest of the body maintains good position. You should be able to stick check without dropping your chin to your chest and staring at the puck, use your peripheral vision.

All of the above. But, as the guy is coming in on you, you have to size him up mentally. What moves has he been doing during that game. Do you remember any moves from last time you played him. Is he a good stick handler, does he usually deke, is he a super fast skater, etc. You size him up, and then decide on what sort of gap you need, and if you should play him agressively or just contain him to make a poor angle shot.