Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Allsmokenopancake

Ovechkin may try out new Oakley mirrored style visor

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/capitalsinsider/

The most talked about piece of equipment in the NHL got some more attention this morning at Scotiabank Place.

Alex Ovechkin tried out a new visor, much like the mirrored one he wore to much fanfare as a rookie. It was tinted, but had an blue iridium coating. (Think Oakley sunglasses.) Unfortunately, I'm reporter and not a photographer, but take my word for it, this visor was way cool.

It's unclear whether he'll be permitted to wear it tonight against the Senators - the league's general managers voted 29-1 against the flashy visor last spring, but no rule was ever passed officially outlawing them. So, technically, he could wear it anyway.

If he doesn't wear it tonight, however, the star winger will debut it in the All-Star Game later this month.

Eric Derepentigny, the hockey program manager for Oakley, brought about a half dozen variations of mirrored visors for Ovechkin try. The 21-year-old Russian immediately reached for the blue iridium one.

"It's me," Ovechkin said after the skate.

So keep any eye out for that.

New gear is supposed to go to the NHL head office before being used and the NHL will be very pissed if that rule gets violated AGAIN this year.

Just saw it on TSN (Briefly) A shot from practice this morning...looks pretty cool.

Too bad he probably won't get to wear it tonight.

At least at the very begining of this one, he does NOT have it on.

He's been wearing the visor the whole game now.

Not the new one, he is wearing the normal smoked one, not the oakley one he had on in practice

wow a hockey vision with that kinda of tint would WAY out there. only ovechkin would be able to pull off and back it up with style.

what piece of equiptment violated the rule last year? The other Ovy visor?

Oakley blue iridum goggles:

http://www.bumps.com.au/Goggles/OakAframeclear_blue_irid.jpg

Nothing violated it last year. This year Brodeur complained that the mirror visor gave him an unfair competitive advantage, so the mirrored visor was banned.

When the devils came to town, a group of caps fans bought cheap mirror sunglasses and made up signs saying "FEAR THE MIRROR" and stood behind brodeur chanting "Martin, Marrrtiiiin".

Brodeur was a real good sport about it, he was laughing about it, and commented on how cool it was that the fans got involved, in his post game interview.

Couple of the Devils players were taking the piss out of him about it on the bench too, so all in all it went over well.

what piece of equiptment violated the rule last year? The other Ovy visor?

Oakley blue iridum goggles:

http://www.bumps.com.au/Goggles/OakAframeclear_blue_irid.jpg

Nothing violated it last year. This year Brodeur complained that the mirror visor gave him an unfair competitive advantage, so the mirrored visor was banned.

When the devils came to town, a group of caps fans bought cheap mirror sunglasses and made up signs saying "FEAR THE MIRROR" and stood behind brodeur chanting "Martin, Marrrtiiiin".

Brodeur was a real good sport about it, he was laughing about it, and commented on how cool it was that the fans got involved, in his post game interview.

Couple of the Devils players were taking the piss out of him about it on the bench too, so all in all it went over well.

What was chadd talking about here?

New gear is supposed to go to the NHL head office before being used and the NHL will be very pissed if that rule gets violated AGAIN this year.

Datsyuk used the new RBK stick with the holes in the shaft (forget the name of it) before it was run by the league. Needless to say they were pissed.

wow a hockey vision with that kinda of tint would WAY out there. only ovechkin would be able to pull off and back it up with style.

I'm going to laugh at all of you when he's done in 5 yrs.

What do you mean?

What do you mean?

I'm assuming its oveys style of play.

He is a high risk/reward type player, and his style means he is always ever only going to be one shift away from a career ending injury, blue iridium visor or not.

He is exciting to watch, but he is reckless with his body, and it may catch up to him sooner than you think

uh, why would you laugh at us? Even if he is done in 5 yrs, doesn't that mean we should appreciate what he does while he's around? I tell you, I wish I would've paid more attention to Pavel Bure when he was around, because I miss him.

I think the closer, although not ideal, comparison for Ovechkin is Cam Neely not Bure. But I've got to agree with JR his career could be very short and if it is not, its luck or a forced style change.

If Ulf Samuelson or Bryan Marchment were still playing Ovechkin would likely be done already.