Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fredrik

Any drummers here on MSH?

After months of cajoling, my buddy finally convinced me to pick up a set of sticks. As someone who's still trying to learn rudiments, all I can say is damn--that kid is good.

P.S.

Paradiddle is really fun to say.

After months of cajoling, my buddy finally convinced me to pick up a set of sticks. As someone who's still trying to learn rudiments, all I can say is damn--that kid is good.

P.S.

Check out Mike Portnoy if you want some inspiration.

I tinker from time to time if I showed up to my practice space early... jump on my drummer's kit and play around. I can keep a beat, but no way am I that good.

The kid's good. Sadly though, he also disappeared just like a lot of the other child phenoms do.

Check out Thomas Lang, Virgil Donati, or Grant Collins if you wanna see some of the more technical type of stuff. If you're more of the groove-oriented type have a listen to some Steve Gadd, David Garibaldi, Abe Laboriel Jr., or Steve Jordan. There's tons of awesome drummers out there, those are just a few of the more popular guys.

Benny Greb is one of my favourites, as well as Keitch Carlock. Both have their own unique style and are always evolving in their playing (unlike Portnoy, who's playing hasn been the same since Dream Theater's first album...sorry to you Portnoy fans :) ) Billy Kilson is incredible too.

Yes, I AM a drummer. Playing for 9 years, currently playing an Ayotte custom kit with Zildjian cymbals.

Played drums since I was four. Been in bands, did the music thing, lots of gigs, recording, etc.

Stopped playing drums and started playing hockey because bandmates are unreliable. Hockey's a million times more fun and exciting for me, but then again when you've done something seriously for 12 years, anything else is fun and exciting.

Stopped playing drums and started playing hockey because bandmates are unreliable.

I hear that! I had some bandmates who drove me away from music for well over a year...plus, I think if I were a drummer and had to listen to that goddamn click track, I would kill.

P.S.

Yea portnoy is outstanding. Id like to add Niel Peart and Danny Carey to the list of people to check out.

The kid's good. Sadly though, he also disappeared just like a lot of the other child phenoms do.

Check out Thomas Lang, Virgil Donati, or Grant Collins if you wanna see some of the more technical type of stuff. If you're more of the groove-oriented type have a listen to some Steve Gadd, David Garibaldi, Abe Laboriel Jr., or Steve Jordan. There's tons of awesome drummers out there, those are just a few of the more popular guys.

Benny Greb is one of my favourites, as well as Keitch Carlock. Both have their own unique style and are always evolving in their playing (unlike Portnoy, who's playing hasn been the same since Dream Theater's first album...sorry to you Portnoy fans :) ) Billy Kilson is incredible too.

Yes, I AM a drummer. Playing for 9 years, currently playing an Ayotte custom kit with Zildjian cymbals.

Saw Carlock with Steely Dan last summer. Damn near stole the show.

Saw Carlock with Steely Dan last summer. Damn near stole the show.

I wish they were anywhere near me, I would've been there in a heartbeat. He's with Steely for another tour this year (they'll be in Detroit on June 4), but no Canadian shows yet :( He did have a drum clinic here a while back but I missed that too. The guy just KILLS. Saw some videos from when he was with Sting...some niiiiice stuff.

Done. And more wow. I just listened to a sample of him doing a drum solo with Dream Theater on iTunes. Wow.

Does anyone else think that guy standing behind the kid looks a little too NAMBLA?

Tee hee. <wink>

If you like junior phenoms, have a look at Tony Royster Jr. There are a few videos on him at youtube.

Th guy is very technical, can play almost anything and has learned from the best when he was little (Dave Chambers comes to mind).

By the way, I play the drums since I was 5. It has been over 10 years since I actually played with a band (beside fooling around with my dad's band). Hockey is so addictive :lol:

For the players out there:

I'm playing on a Tama Starclassic Performer with Gibraltar hardware, Sabian cymbals and Vic Firth sticks :)

Done. And more wow. I just listened to a sample of him doing a drum solo with Dream Theater on iTunes. Wow.

Images and Words contains some amazing performances by every member in the band. Metropolis and Take the time are fantastic

Yeah, Peart's one of the greats, and Portnoy has developed a reputation for himself. But if you're talking about skill and technicality, Thomas Lang is at the top. Nobody out there has his dexterity and technique. I've been to one of his drum clinics and I've never witnessed anything like it in my life.

For example, here's a video of him playin his practice pad kit while waiting for a flight. Check out his kick patterns. Peart and Portnoy couldn't play that if their life depended on it. I don't mean to tear the other guys down, but I for one have never heard either of the P-guys play anything other than straight 16th notes with their feet. Lang gets into double strokes (much like Virgil Donati), and the things he plays on top of that gets mind-boggling sometimes. Especially when he gets into his multi-pedal orchestrations...

- Here's a video of one of Lang's solos

- Another solo

There are quite a few vids around, just have a look. I kinda find it funny that nobody has argued that Lars Ulrich/Travis Barker are the best ever....they always seem to get brought up.

Have played drums for a bout a year now and have progressed really quickly the thing I still have difficulty with is doubles. Have a double bass pedal and absolutely love it.(Joey jordison is my inspiration)

All I can say about that kid is WOW

There are quite a few vids around, just have a look. I kinda find it funny that nobody has argued that Lars Ulrich/Travis Barker are the best ever....they always seem to get brought up.

Or Bonzo for that matter :)

Nothing wrong with bonzo haha

<------

Peart is overrated, I saw of video of him on youtube totally making himself look like an idiot playing at a buddy rich tribute concert. He should leave jazz to the greats.