Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

djinferno

Flashy skates

WIth the 5k's also available in white, they proabbly won't seem all that flashy if enough people are wearing them.

On RBK's website if you click on 9k Pumps...there is a note "*also available in white"...but they don't have that note on the 5k's. I had heard that white 5k's were coming, but I've never actually seen them.

white 5K

There's a guy on Trinity College's Div.1 team who wears the Federov/Gretzky Nike Air Accel Elites. He's a damn good player, but not the best guy on the ice; he just happens to look badass in those skates, heavy though they may be.

I don't really have a problem with flashy gear, as long as there's *something* to back it up. I really don't need to see Johnny Limp-Wrist Ankleburner giving somebody shit because they aren't skating in One90s.

FYI Trinity College is D3 not D1. They play in the NESCAC. Tropical party used to be fun when they had a ton of kegs.

I meant Trinity College in at the University of Toronto... sorry, I ought've been more specific. There are just a few Trinitarian Colleges around...

This is the type of comments i'm talking about, it seems like this sentiment is very prevelent in hockey...

I would not worry about it too much. Do whatever works for you.

It's not like you are putting on a white jersey while your team is all black...

They only thing in my opinion you will have a lot of black marks on them pretty soon..

The RBK whites are sweet, and I usually don't care for white gear, so I don't think the RBK would bring on any heat.

However when it comes to flashy gear I think it comes down to the league you play in and how you play. I wear Easton 1100, which are somewhat flashy, and I don't get any extra crap from other players, but there are guys in the league who wear Nike whites and some Graf whites who get a lot of "Hey Snow White" "Those are pretty princess" and the obvious "Fiqure skating doesn't start till 8", so they get some extra attention, especcially if they then try to pull some all star game moves to go along with the skates, and boom your down.

There is a difference between having something a little different and having something flashy. If you're going the flash route with your gear then you'd better not suck because you're likely to get some grief from opponents.

People with flashy equipment don't bug me, but a lot of the times they are real chippy out in the no-check and no-ref games.

If I had it my way, I'd love a pair of Bauer Vapor XXXX's made to look stealth like an old pair of Tacks. I don't actually like the look of the flashy skates but I like stiff and light boots. Then nobody would notice the guy in the $500 skates :P

I like them. I have silver 735's with LSP's on them and I wear my tongues curled so they do look pretty flashy. Not being the best player doesn't mean you can't have good looking equipment and vice versa.

My personal opinion is buy what you like. You only live once and it that is what you dream about wearing on the ice go out and get it. Just don't expect to play like a pro because you look like one. I like to see people fulfilling their desires in life and attaining their goals as long as it doesn't hurt or cause anyone else grief, why not! You have to enjoy life and the hand you are dealt in it so do it to your heart's desire. But remember to give back, that's important.

It's only money. You'll get more later.

It's not a i don't have money thing, it's a i don't feel like i should pay that much....

I can remember wen the first Synergy Sticks came ou5t in Canada for 200$ and Vapor 10's where like 500$, I was like, thats it for me, the max i'm paying is that...

Now Steaths are like 319$ and these skates are like 699$, add 15% tax on top of that? soon people will need financing and insurance on stuff...

I know I'm being cheap but right now I can't help it :ph34r:

I'm not too nuts about the glam-gear, but at the same time, I am equally as turned off by the blatant retro stuff, a la brown leather gloves...looks like you have paper grocery bags on your hands. The blue Vectors were about as risque as I'd go with skates, but that's just me. I like the look of some of my team-mates' louder skates, but much like a yellow sports car, it's nicer when it belongs to someone else...especially if they are making the payments. My Eagles are the Pro-Glow, which I don't like, but that was the only choice I had inthe colours I needed. My 8090's are absolutely great looking skates, and when I get the black holders on them they will look perfect, IMHO.

I totally agree with you about the price of the newer equipment djinferno. I have just about every piece of equipment I ever dreamed of owning and I bask in the satisfaction of it. What I did is worked my way up to professional quality equipment very gradually. Originally I bought middle of the line or lower quality equipment just so I had decent protection to play in my league.I then picked one piece of equipment of professional quality and then began saving for it. My stategy for buying a piece of equipment is to get it after it's been on the market for already a year or two not when it first comes out.This serves two purposes. It gives the equipment time to drop significantly in price and within that time period you can see what flaws are prevelant with it by getting onto a hockey site like ModSquad. You can then change your mind if the quality of the product isn't to your liking and go to another similar product from a different manufacturer that has proven to be of higher quality or better performance. This method of building your line of equipment takes time and patience but I save up to fifty percent on top of the line equipment. (ie My Reebok 8K skates. New $599. Picked them up to $299 a few months ago.) My next goal is the Nike/Bauer One/90's or the Stealth S-15's. When I pick up a pair in a year or two the price will be substantially lower because they'll be on clearance or sale because the stores will want them out so they don't compete with the newest line of skate that will be out at that time. In the mean time I'm into a great pro style skate I know will last me until I get my next pair. Oh and by the way any old equipment goes to Play It Again where I get some money back on it to put to my newer stuff.

99 percent of the people you play with or against won't notice and if they do they won't give a shit. Would you really care about some moron who had nothing more important to worry about than your skates?

99 percent of the people you play with or against won't notice and if they do they won't give a shit. Would you really care about some moron who had nothing more important to worry about than your skates?

I played against a kid tonight with a pair of reverse great white 703s with LS2s + embroidery of his # on the skates. I said something to him after the game, but he said that it's the first time anyone ever actually said something about them. I was surprised, because I was practically drooling over them.

Kinda weird, all the kids I play with notice everytime I have new equipment, and they always notice if someone on the other team has something different. A couple years ago I got an ST grip (green) from another city before it came out in mine, and after the game a kid from the other team actually came up to me and looked at my stick, goes back to his team saying "it says Synergy ST!".

no one has really commented on my XXXXs unless it was brought up in a conversation in the locker room. And even then at least one person asks me what skate it is.

I like them and that's what matters, if people want to care about what I'm wearing or people don't care... that's fine because I'm happy and thats what is important.

No one has said anything about my XXXX's either. Some people have just asked to take a look at them , no one has said anything about me owning the though. Even if they did , who really cares. As TBL fan said as long as you are happy with them , what others think is really unimportant.

It's pretty petty to spend your time being concerned over what a player has in the way of equipment anyway. Your equipment doesn't have any bearing on who or what you are and it's a waste of time to be envious or critical of what another player uses.

I was surprised, because I was practically drooling over them.

You know, not everyone frequents MSH and is a gearwhore. You might want to see your doctor, drooling over skates isn't completely normal ;)

admittently, I do notice gear but normally only when I'm coaching or not playing. When I'm playing I have my mind on other things.

barrett, let me guess... everytime someone asks to check them out you hear "Holy crap, these things are stiiiiiiff!" :lol: