Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PH_Hockey2

Smaller skates=Better skating?

Also, keep in mind that smaller skates are lighter (even if only slightly) which is probably a smaller benefit than the responsiveness, but it does help too.

i agree with smaller skates (smaller as in smaller than what you're supposed to have) having resposiveness but wouldn't skates that fit properly give you more stability and more edge so you can stop quicker, turn tighter etc?

Personally I like wearing small skates. I'm using 8.5D CCM Tacks right now and just got some 10.5 Mission S300s. THey were half a size bigger for growth room. Oh yeah, I wear 11.5-12 shoes :P

I just got my Vector 7.0 and I wear a size 10 Nike shoe and a 7.5 in Vectors. Going to have to get them punched in the "hot spots" though. BTW, anyone know how this punching thing works?

I was amazed that I wore size 7.5 in my vector pros. Normally I wear an 8.5 or 9 in everything else. Though my big toes kill me on the inside of the toe caps sometimes. Also, I'm not quite sure if the skates are "tall" enough for me in the ankles... my ankle bones don't quite match up with the pads.

Where are the "hot spots" you're talking about on the boot?

After skating on 280mm for a long time, I noticed a big difference going down to 272 (or 271 as ccm does). I had to get used to the new balance points.. especially when taking a slapshot.. nothing more embarassing than falling on a shot because your balance is different.. ;)

i agree with smaller skates (smaller as in smaller than what you're supposed to have) having resposiveness but wouldn't skates that fit properly give you more stability and more edge so you can stop quicker, turn tighter etc?

That's what I meant by responsiveness. Quick turns, stuff like that.

My size 10 Grafs are litteraly true-to-foot size. They couldn't be the slightest bit smaller or I couldn't put them on anymore. I think it's perfect this way, the feel for the ice and the responsiveness are great. My former Bauer Vapor 8s were size 11 (because my LHS had measured my feet with a tool which said size 11 for me) and they were by far too large, but I only realized that when I got my Grafs.

A good test it seems is to pull the insoles out of the skate and to just stand on the insoles. My Graf insoles are as long as my feet whereas my Bauer insoles were about 1/2" longer than my feet. A good hockey shop I've been to years ago used to perform this "insole test" on every skate they handed to a customer for try-ons; now I know why.

On the influence of skate widths: I have realized (and it seem logic) that the wider the skate, the smaller you can/should choose the size. When the skate is too narrow for your feet, it will squeeze your feet which results in your feet expanding in length. When I tried on ProTacks, I could have gone down more than half a size when switching from D to EE.

I think Coffee (like Kosy said) wore skates 2-3 sizes smaller, I heard he turned Gretzky onto the idea as well. I think those were only for games though and they used the proper sized skates for practice.

I think Gretzky may have used the small skates all the time - I ran into a guy once who used to work in a rink in LA where Gretzky was shooting a TV commercial. Gretzky left something in his car, and had to walk out into the parking lot with his skates on because if he took them off, his feet would swell up and he couldn't get them back on again. The guy I talked to had to sharpen the skates while they were still on Gretzky's feet!

i think that saktes need to be perfect and it is ahrder to skate with big skates. It also seems that people with bigger feet(skates) are slower skaters but on the other hand they have more blade to push off with.

It also seems that people with bigger feet(skates) are slower skaters but on the other hand they have more blade to push off with

I would think that blade length does not help push off because (due to the rocker of the blade) only a small length of the blade is touching the ice at one time anyway. A 296mm blade would have the same amount of steel on the ice at any time as a 270mm blade with the same rocker. The extra length is only extra weight unless it is used.

With rare exceptions, the holders wouldn't it on the skates. A 9 ft rocker is the same on any skate, no matter what length the steel is.

Skates that fit make you a better skater. The true issue is that what the average consumer thinks "fits" is actually way to big.

This guy hit the nail on the head.

Why the world can't agree on one foot measurement system is beyond me.

well i think that the tighter u tie your skates, the more powerful and crisper your stride becomes. So snugging into a pair of skates that might be a little too small for you can definitely help you out. I think getting a pair of skates that are a somewhat small for you, and then tieing them with a skate key can really help you out.

well i think that the tighter u tie your skates, the more powerful and crisper your stride becomes.

Actually, by tying your skates tighter (in the mid/high laces) you're limiting your mobility, reducing your potential for a better stride. Ankle mobility is key for good push and maneuverability.

i dont know, im still sticking with my opinion on this, isnt this close to the concept of having a stiff skate? Obviously stiffness is a huge factor when buying a pair of highend skates, i dont think its just for durability, but rather power for your stride. I think that tieing your skates, and fitting into smaller skates correlate with having a stiff boot.

actually, i think mission proved that "stiffer" is not better with their supplefit. as long as your foot is securely attached to the skate, ankle moblity actually gives you more power because it helps your stride

Stiffness takes away from your stride no matter what. For an example, try sprinting in a pair of low top tennis shoes, then try in two casts... guess which one you'll be faster in? Forward flex is what helps your stride, when you lace 'em up tight all the way up it significantly reduces forward flex. This is why alot of pros don't even lace the top lace on their sktes...

Definitely. Size 9.5 shoe, 6.5 V-12. Takes a little getting used to, but your foot won't slide at all. It'll feel a little more responsive, too. Good luck.

Same here. I wear a 9 in adidas shoes and a 6.5 in Nike v12 skates. I wouldn't want my skates to be any bigger. I have had skates that were bigger but the smaller skates definitely give me a little more control.

On the subject of tightening skates...

I never tighter the laces near my toes. I leave the laces that run between the first three pairs of eyelets really loose. I find that this helps prevent skate bite and gives me more room to shift my toes when making turns. I then tighten the skates more the rest of the way up. I have boney ankles so even if I tighten the tops down a bit my skates are still loose enough for increased mobility.

I tighten my skates as much as I can, then I put tape, bot around my ankles, but around the top and middle of the tongue that is exposed. Not because I need support or anything, just becauseI like the tight feel.

--Directed at younger kids--

Keep in mind that you're still growing and this idea won't work for you. If you buy skates that small it'll be a waste.

Ya I would really like to know when is the exact age for male that your feet stop growing. I want to get skates and shoes but since I am on a tight budget Ill probally end up buying 1 or 2 sizes larger.

I heard it was 14 am I right?