Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blueliner27

"Right" Equipment for new players

(I did sereach but no right thread appeared)

Brief Intro

My brother and one of my cousins (they are both 14) are going to play hockey after 3 months of I pursuding them. So, obviously, they need new pieces of equipment. I won't recommand any high end equipment; there is no need for them in my opinion.

My suggestion (core elements)

Skate: NBH Vapor XXII

- Medium level

Stick: UL (grip) + ST blade (or any wooden)

Helmet: NBH 4500

Gloves: RBK 3K

Any idea?

What will you suggest? I do need some idea what other equipment will be capable (kinda ironic) of.

Thanks,

Being new to hockey is anther thing new to their life. Right now they should focus on their skills and worry less about their equipment. Those equips u have listed seems to be fine. I would suggest a wood stick for a starter and move your way up.

Those skates are good skates but pricey (I have them) for a new player. It also depends on their skating ability. If they're a beginner skater I don't think they'll benefit much from a mid-level boot like the XXII.

A lot of equipment comes down to personal preference. I'd take them to a LHS and have them try stuff on and see what they'd like. I wouldn't get them to sink a whole lot of money into it initially (especially at 14) when they might not stick with the game.

(I did sereach but no right thread appeared)

Brief Intro

My brother and one of my cousins (they are both 14) are going to play hockey after 3 months of I pursuding them. So, obviously, they need new pieces of equipment. I won't recommand any high end equipment; there is no need for them in my opinion.

- Medium level

Any idea?

What will you suggest? I do need some idea what other equipment will be capable (kinda ironic) of.

Thanks,

I plead with you to start them off with woodies!

well it depends on there personal preference, and how much money they are willing to spend. but yah i wouldn't go with anything big starting off.

Equipment is ALWAYS personal preference, no matter what level or skill. You can't tell them what is right for them.

exactly.. when I started a little over a year & a half ago, I bought all the cheapest stuff I could find at a chain sporting goods store. I figured "I'm aware it's not the best stuff, but it will do the trick". I got out there, and was just always uncomfortable.. always messing with stuff, etc. I slowly upgraded to stuff that I felt most comfortable in.

Hockey is a tough game to pick up, especially later in life.... so you obviously want to be at your most comfortable, while being protected to the fullest.

- Medium level

Any idea?

Thanks,

It's weird...for just 'beginners' you've suggested very specific brands and equipment, so I would imagine you have your own answers to how good/appropriate the equipment is for them. Just send them to a shop and let them pick out what feels good.

they might need a little guidance picking skates, and i think a wooden stick or a cheap shaft/wood blade would be a good idea. i'd recommend upper level gloves because the lower ones feel like bricks and are really stiff and hard to learn to stickhandle with IMO.

but i would just let them pick out whatever protective gear they want. shoulder pads and such don't have to be replaced often, so you get more than your money's worth out of them. it is well worth the extra $100 or so to get them something they feel comfortable and confident in. if they don't feel protected they are liable to quit playing. low end skates are a bad idea too, they need real "hockey" skates, not recreational skates with a hockey blade.

i second the vapor xxii, maybe 5k gloves, possibly an easton octane/wood blade, and i'd have to suggest mission intake lid lol. the xxii skate and 5k glove look just like the top models at first glance, and octane/wood blade looks pretty good too. since all the other kids are gonna have expensive skates and ops, its important not to send them on the ice with gear that says "ive never played before and this is the cheapest thing in the store".

just my 2 cents.

The UL+blade combo is on sale in LHS and is almost same price as octane+blade combo.

Has anyone used Vector 6.0SE? My cousin seems like loving it...

Ahhh, I wanted them to do so. But they wanna start with a composite!

HIGHLY recommend woodies for a first stick. UL + blade is great when they get the basics down and want to start trying different patterns.

The skate looks good, I'd probably spend about $150 on a good skate IF they think they'll do more than a handful of skates. My Vapor VI's were $80 or so new and lasted about three months before breaking down completely.

Shins, just some used ones that fit are fine. Elbows are a bit more PP but used in better condition is fine. Neither need to be really fancy, just need to stay on.

Shoulders, for all levels of play I love the Sherwood 5030's. $30 brand new and they do their job great. I can't imagine getting anything else unless I was on defense with some guys that can really shoot and aim high.

Gloves are PP, I'd spend up to $50 or so, I got Synergy 500's for my firsts and they were fine. Doesn't have to be fancy, but it does have to fit properly and I prefer new.

Pants, probably get something with padding on the butt so when you fall down a lot it doesn't hurt. I got some Easton 300's and they were cheap and worked fine. Upside was when I started playing I lost 25 pounds and needed to go down a size and upgrade.

Helmet choice looks great, but it depends on the fit. I actually got an Intake for my first helmet because the cheap Bauers don't fit my wide head. The 5000's are on sale lots of places now. Make sure they get cages.

-----

Basically, if you're just starting out, I'd buy cheap or slightly used stuff (except for the jock and gloves and maybe helmet). When you're first learning, it doesn't make sense to drop $500 on equipment if you don't know you'll want to stick with it. And if you DO want to stick with it, you'll want some better stuff and you don't want to have lost that huge investment.

Here was my starter gear:

Helmet: Mission Intake (still use and love)

Shoulders: Mission M-2 (too bulky and hot)

Elbows: DR Axis 45 (kept sliding down)

Gloves: Easton Synergy 500 (I liked them, kinda cheap but worked great)

Pants: Easton Synergy 300 (light on padding and bulky but cheap)

Shins: Bauer 4000 (still use, but they're too loose now)

Skates: Bauer Vapor VI (broke down after about 30 skates, too flimsy)

Stick: Octane (TERRIBLE) and Sherwood 5030 (awesome for a woody!)

Jarick's comment is exactly right and should start out with a little bit second hand. Hockey is an expenssive sport. his listing is pretty much alright but, the skates is pp i suggest start from a price range of 100-200$ and when they start breaking down move up.

#1 Get stuff that fits

#2 Get low end or mid level stuff because they will end up replacing a lot of their initial setup in fairly short order as they develop preferences of their own

#3 make sure the stuff actually fits and doesn't just "seem ok"

The UL+blade combo is on sale in LHS and is almost same price as octane+blade combo.

Has anyone used Vector 6.0SE? My cousin seems like loving it...

Ahhh, I wanted them to do so. But they wanna start with a composite!

the Vector SE is just a 6.0 repainted to look like a 10.0, not that great, but ok for beginers

Just a heads-up, if they want a cheap shaft, The Sports Exchange has M-2s for $50. They have 75 flex, which I think should be apropriate for a 14 year old.

Just a heads-up, if they want a cheap shaft, The Sports Exchange has M-2s for $50. They have 75 flex, which I think should be apropriate for a 14 year old.

Thanks,

--------

But I think it seems going like this... (Not confirmed but will buy soon)

Bold words to shop.

My Cousin

Skates: CCM Vector 6.0 SE

Stick: Synergy ST 06' :o or TPS Adrenaline Prostock :rolleyes:

Helmet: NBH 4500 + cage

Gloves: RBK 5K

My Bro

Skates: Bauer 8090 (it used to be mine)

Stick: Stealth 05' blade broken shaft w/ Bauer 4000 wood P91 curve (mine too)

or NBH One40

Helmet: NBH 4500 + cage

Gloves: Bauer 2000

Well... I know Synergy is a great stick but it's not for him. Isn't it? But he wants either of them so badly.

As long as you're not the one buying them the gear, then the ST is fine. Do the skates, gloves, and helmets fit them properly, or is it just the game plan of stuff to get when you go to your HS?

I don't think starting off with an OPS is that bad of an idea actually. Hell, I've been using OPS/Composite blades for so long that the lack of feel doesn't bother me at all, and it's pretty hard for me to tell which stick has a good/bad feel.

As long as you're not the one buying them the gear, then the ST is fine. Do the skates, gloves, and helmets fit them properly, or is it just the game plan of stuff to get when you go to your HS?

It's some sort of a game plan :) because we won't be able to get too much time (tight sched: his family and us).

I don't think starting off with an OPS is that bad of an idea actually. Hell, I've been using OPS/Composite blades for so long that the lack of feel doesn't bother me at all, and it's pretty hard for me to tell which stick has a good/bad feel.

What I am worried about is that a beginner using a synergy ST. I wonder that really helps him. I told him to start with wood or two-piece combo but he basically ignores me. :angry:

What I am worried about is that a beginner using a synergy ST. I wonder that really helps him. I told him to start with wood or two-piece combo but he basically ignores me. :angry:

Never tell anyone what to do, just make suggestions. If they choose to follow your advice, great. If not, it's their life.

I have a Vector 6 shaft, and I would say it is a decent but not great piece of equipment. Matched with a wooden blade, it feels pretty traditional. If your cousin is bent on a composite shaft, this would be a cheap way to try one. Through a few months of games, it seems pretty tough.

the bauer 8090's are a very good pair of skates to start out with, and i agree with chad, if they don't follow your advice thats there problem

damn don't let them get an ST. the ST feels much stiffer than it's flex rating, and has one of the hardest blades ever IMO.

if they're hell-bent on a synergy, give them a synergy 300, its cheaper and feels pretty good to me.