Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chadd

Bonds Biographer speaks out

http://deadspin.com/sports/barry-bonds/jef...onds-281739.php

A very interesting interview and worth a few minutes of your time. My highlight:

Few people have researched Bonds more than you have. Do YOU want him to break the record?

Here's the truth. I set out to write a fair, honest, balanced biography of a misunderstood legend. I did my absolute best, and the result is a book that I'm very proud of. I've received strong reviews, in part because I didn't take sides. Now that I'm well beyond the researching and writing; now that I'm beyond the promotional, 20-second soundbite push, I feel liberated to express my conclusion of the whole experience.

It is this: Barry Bonds is evil.

Wow great read. Thanks Chadd

And this is my favorite part:

"And the truth of the matter is, Bonds is completely, undeniably 100 percent full of shit. "

Concerning the section questioning what his legacy will be 40 years from now, Arod will demolish this record soon after.

If he doesn't pull a Griffey, then yes, A-Rod will break the record within the next 5 years if he continues at his current pace, this year notwithstanding (where he'll likely break 60).

Take that one year where Bonds hit 73 and lower it to 40, and he never would catch Hank.

I want Bonds to break this record. Like every other human (except some crazy whities from the '70s) I love Hank Aaron, but his record's going to be broken by a douchebag one way or another, so I may as well enjoy seeing Bonds be pissy when A-Rod breaks it.

I want Bonds to break this record. Like every other human (except some crazy whities from the '70s) I love Hank Aaron, but his record's going to be broken by a douchebag one way or another, so I may as well enjoy seeing Bonds be pissy when A-Rod breaks it.

I'd rather see it broken by someone like A-Rod who does stupid stuff like the Glove Slap, Yelling Hey at a fielder than a piece of crap juicehead egomaniac like Bonds. I just can't stand him at all, the way he treats reporters, fans, etc. I can only imagine if he is to break the record at a park that is not AT&T; I don't think the reception will be that warm outside of SF, where those fans are brainwashed into thinking Bonds is the best thing since sliced bread.

I'd rather see it broken by someone like A-Rod who does stupid stuff like the Glove Slap, Yelling Hey at a fielder than a piece of crap juicehead egomaniac like Bonds.

I'll take the lesser of the two evils (A-Rod), but they're both douchebags. The fact that I hate Alex less than Barry doesn't say as much about the former as it does the latter.

On a related note, those of you who haven't read Game of Shadows should check it out. Solid, informative, in-depth read.

He said in an interview with the Giants FSN broadcasters that if A-Rod chases the record (which he he very likely will), he will be in the front row cheering him on.

After hitting home run #500, after the game, one reporter asked Bonds what it was like to be in the 500 club, yadda yadda yadda. He just stuck his hand in front of the camera, and left the ball park. Bobby Bonds was watching and told the reporter, "Don't take it personally; he does that all the time to me too."

The hilarious thing about Bonds is that many people that defend him say something along the lines of, "Well, he's only a douchebag to reporters 'cause he hates the media!"

I know that speaking with the media is part of the package when you're a pro athlete, and I know Bonds shouldn't act like such an ass all the time to them, but the one thing that I can't stand is when the media whines about it and acts like Bonds owes them a favor.

I know that speaking with the media is part of the package when you're a pro athlete, and I know Bonds shouldn't act like such an ass all the time to them, but the one thing that I can't stand is when the media whines about it and acts like Bonds owes them a favor.

I don't care about that, some reporters are as self important as the people they cover. As for B*nds, he's a cheater. Fuck him.

I don't really care if Barry Bonds is a jerk, I don't watch baseball to follow the personalities of the players...maybe you should stick to daytime soaps or something if that is your style. I watch baseball to see great baseball players, and by any definition Barry Bonds is one of the greatest baseball players ever to play the game.

Baseball stat-heads will tell you from an offensive perspective the point of the game is very simple; do not make outs. And no player since Ted Williams has been better at not making outs than Barry Bonds. He has lead the National League in OBP% 10 times. In adjusted on-base + slugging (park adjusted) which many consider the best indicator of the offensive skill of a ball player, Barry finished 5th in the league his rookie year, and then has proceeded to finish either 1st, 2nd, or 3rd every single year since...oh and ten of those seasons he was first and only twice did he dip as 'low' as 3rd. His career mark is behind only Ted Williams and the god-like Babe Ruth (if you ever want to see something disturbing one day check out the Babe's stats).

So basically I can forget all about his personality...frankly I don't care. Now onto the other issue: steroids. Did Barry Bonds use steroids? Yes, I believe he almost certainly did. Has he admitted to it? No, he hasn't. Has it been proven beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law? Again, no. I'm personally not going to have the arrogance to deem a man guilty of something when I don't really have any first hand knowledge on the subject. If one day it is proven that he took steroids, then yes I think his records will be up there with a huge asterisk, but regardless I personally think he is still the best baseball player of our generation whether he took them or not, and I think that is something to be celebrated.

Sports history is rife with tales of cheaters...the Giants stole signs to allow Bobby Thompson to hit the 'shot heard 'round the world', should that victory be taken off the books and the pennant given to the Dodgers? Should we put a giant asterisk next to it? How is something like that any less unsavory than injecting steroids which may or may not make you a better baseball player? Brett Hull has admitted to using an illegal curve his entire career, should he not be barred from the Hall of Fame? I mean I could go on forever here, I'm not defending any of these actions, I just find it odd how some are seen as basically an 'aw shucks' kind of deal, whereas steroids and Bonds in particular inspire such hate and anger out of people.

I watch baseball to see great baseball players, and by any definition Barry Bonds is one of the greatest baseball players ever to play the game.

What if a definition is "Great players who never cheated"

He wouldn't meet the criteria then :blink:

Remind me again, how many games has Barry Bonds been suspended for as a result of cheating in professional baseball? How many times has he been convicted of a crime pertaining to illegal steroids?

By my count the answer to both those questions is zero...but you seem to have the smoking gun somewhere that says he 'cheated', if I had that kind of evidence I wouldn't be wasting time posting on here, you better head to the authorities, I they could use your help!

I don't really care if Barry Bonds is a jerk, I don't watch baseball to follow the personalities of the players...maybe you should stick to daytime soaps or something if that is your style. I watch baseball to see great baseball players, and by any definition Barry Bonds is one of the greatest baseball players ever to play the game.

Baseball stat-heads will tell you from an offensive perspective the point of the game is very simple; do not make outs. And no player since Ted Williams has been better at not making outs than Barry Bonds. He has lead the National League in OBP% 10 times. In adjusted on-base + slugging (park adjusted) which many consider the best indicator of the offensive skill of a ball player, Barry finished 5th in the league his rookie year, and then has proceeded to finish either 1st, 2nd, or 3rd every single year since...oh and ten of those seasons he was first and only twice did he dip as 'low' as 3rd. His career mark is behind only Ted Williams and the god-like Babe Ruth (if you ever want to see something disturbing one day check out the Babe's stats).

So basically I can forget all about his personality...frankly I don't care. Now onto the other issue: steroids. Did Barry Bonds use steroids? Yes, I believe he almost certainly did. Has he admitted to it? No, he hasn't. Has it been proven beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law? Again, no. I'm personally not going to have the arrogance to deem a man guilty of something when I don't really have any first hand knowledge on the subject. If one day it is proven that he took steroids, then yes I think his records will be up there with a huge asterisk, but regardless I personally think he is still the best baseball player of our generation whether he took them or not, and I think that is something to be celebrated.

Sports history is rife with tales of cheaters...the Giants stole signs to allow Bobby Thompson to hit the 'shot heard 'round the world', should that victory be taken off the books and the pennant given to the Dodgers? Should we put a giant asterisk next to it? How is something like that any less unsavory than injecting steroids which may or may not make you a better baseball player? Brett Hull has admitted to using an illegal curve his entire career, should he not be barred from the Hall of Fame? I mean I could go on forever here, I'm not defending any of these actions, I just find it odd how some are seen as basically an 'aw shucks' kind of deal, whereas steroids and Bonds in particular inspire such hate and anger out of people.

There's no doubt Bonds can hit, the issue is with him taking HGH and other substances in order to hit the ball farther. Stealing signs and taking steroids are so incomparable, that I'm not even going to bother with that one. Hull's stick is another sport with a different set of (changing) standards on stick curves. If it was a guy who admitted to using a corked bat during the most productive years, you can bet your ass he wouldn't be in the baseball hall of fame. Sosa is going to have a problem getting into the hall because of that and being part of the "steroid era".

It has already been proven that Bonds took the stuff, unless of course you're one of those guys who refuses to believe it without seeing a needle sticking out of his ass with your own eyes.

I watch baseball to see great baseball players, and by any definition Barry Bonds is one of the greatest baseball players ever to play the game.

What if a definition is "Great players who never cheated"

He wouldn't meet the criteria then :blink:

My definition is that great players don't cheat.

Remind me again, how many games has Barry Bonds been suspended for as a result of cheating in professional baseball? How many times has he been convicted of a crime pertaining to illegal steroids?

By my count the answer to both those questions is zero...but you seem to have the smoking gun somewhere that says he 'cheated', if I had that kind of evidence I wouldn't be wasting time posting on here, you better head to the authorities, I they could use your help!

Cheating, and being caught cheating are 2 different things.

In the leaked grand jury testimony, a trainer said "the program" that was designed for bonds included steroids.

Bonds denied ever KNOWINGLY taking steroids.

This is why he is being investigated at the minute for perjury, which is why he has not been called up inthe mitchell investigation, he cannot answer questions as he is part of a federal investigation

Well along those same lines it is a known fact that Gaylord Perry cheated relentlessly throughout the prime of his career by using the spit-ball, and is in the Hall of Fame as a result. How is something like that, or a pre-mediated system involving telescopes, hidden buzzers, spies in centerfield, with the full backing of the entire organization any less of 'cheating' than Barry Bonds using HGH? I don't know how you can dismiss those charges as so incomparable as to not bother mentioning. The Hull one is stretching it, but he is still a 'cheater', he broke the rules.

How much do you know about HGH?

http://www.sabernomics.com/sabernomics/ind...her-should-you/

http://www.slate.com/id/2162473/nav/tap1/

Huh...those are a couple of interesting links...maybe HGH doesn't help you AT ALL to hit home runs, or do anything else on the baseball field really.

What’s the difference between steroids and HGH? For starters, we know that a baseball player can beef up on steroids and improve his athletic performance. But most clinical studies suggest that HGH won’t help an athlete at all….So far, no one has been able to connect the increase in lean body tissue caused by HGH with enhancement of athletic performance. Unlike steroids, growth hormone hasn’t been shown to increase weight-lifting ability; in the lab, it has a greater effect on muscle definition than muscle strength. And it doesn’t seem to help much with cardiovascular fitness, either.

It has already been proven that Bonds took the stuff, unless of course you're one of those guys who refuses to believe it without seeing a needle sticking out of his ass with your own eyes.

What!?! It has? Well hell, why doesn't Major League Baseball suspend him right away before he breaks the record? Quick Bud Selig, quick!!!

It has not been proven Bonds took steroids, knowingly or otherwise. You think Selig and MLB want him to break this record? You can pratically see Bud breaking out in a sweat just thinking about it. If they had the slightest belief they could suspend him for steroid usage they would have done so. If the authorities had evidence to charge him they would have pressed charges. Neither has happend, ergo I choose to believe that there is insufficient proof on the matter.

It has not been proven Bonds took steroids, knowingly or otherwise. You think Selig and MLB want him to break this record? You can pratically see Bud breaking out in a sweat just thinking about it. If they had the slightest belief they could suspend him for steroid usage they would have done so. If the authorities had evidence to charge him they would have pressed charges. Neither has happend, ergo I choose to believe that there is insufficient proof on the matter.

Highlighted the key part there.

I tend to agree with the author of the article that was originally posted. And this is a guy that knows far more about Bonds than either of us. Unlike us, his opinion is informed and not biased by previous opinions of the person.

I read writers like Bill Rhoden and Dave Zirin--guys I respect--and I just don't understand what the hell they're doing. They maintain there's no proof that Bonds used, so how can we condemn him? If we used that mode of thinking in day-to-day life, there'd be no need for juries. You either catch a person in the act of committing a crime or he's innocent.
Factually--and I mean, 100% factually--Bonds used, and the evidence is overwhelming. Game of Shadows, my book, his ties to Greg Anderson and Victor Conte, the expansion (impossible, unless he used HGH or suffers from Acromegaly) of his skull, a former teammlate like Jay Canizaro telling me how Anderson said he can design a steroid cocktail for him that would be just like Barry's, so on and so on. Every time someone writes that there's no "proof," he/she is gifting the designers of masking agents. If we reward and praise the cheaters in sports, what are we saying to the kids who follow the games? What are we saying about decency and integrity?

Then you have this:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?i...e=ESPNHeadlines

In the interview, Arnold said that he had never met Bonds but Victor Conte, the founder of BALCO, raved about the Giants outfielder's performance on "the program." Arnold was asked if "the program" included steroids.

Former BALCO consultant Patrick Arnold, right, talked about his close work with Victor Conte, the programs Conte put athletes on, being on a hit list, and more. Listen

"I have a very strong feeling about it since he was on the program. And like everyone else, the program consisted of the clear," Arnold said, according to The Times.

However, appearing on ESPN Radio on Wednesday, Arnold said he couldn't say definitely that Bonds was on "the program" and that his comments should be viewed as an opinion, "albeit an informed opinion."

Curt Schilling says it best really...

But I just always thought it was very simple: If you did something and someone asks you if you did it and you didn't do it, you say no. Any other answer than no is some form of yes, isn't it?

I read writers like Bill Rhoden and Dave Zirin--guys I respect--and I just don't understand what the hell they're doing. They maintain there's no proof that Bonds used, so how can we condemn him? If we used that mode of thinking in day-to-day life, there'd be no need for juries. You either catch a person in the act of committing a crime or he's innocent.

I'm glad you brought this up because it ranks as one of the dumber quotes I've ever read from a professional journalist. So Pearlman finds fault with the logic that 'there's no proof...so how can we condemn him?' What an asshole.

His 'no need for juries' comment is also laughable, what is he even talking about? In most modern societies we base our justice system on the idea that you present evidence, and if a jury finds that evidence to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the accused committed a crime, then they declare that person guilty. He doesn't seem to have a firm grasp of the simple idea that you can have evidence that someone did something, it just might be inconclusive, erroneous, or flat out irrelevant evidence. A car down the street from me got broken into, I was in the area at the time. That is a piece of evidence, is it enough to convict me? Of course not. His suggestion that thinking otherwise means you have to catch a person in the act or else they are innocent is insanely stupid.

In my opinion Barry Bonds has the right to be innocent until proven guilty, just like every other citizen in our society, and despite the 'overwhelming' evidence Pearlman suggests exists, guess what? He hasn't been convicted or even charged with anything yet, not by the courts, not even by a one man kangaroo court that is the MLB commissioners office. Why hasn't Bud Selig suspended Bonds if it is %100 certain he used steroids, as the author claims.

Curt Schilling says it best really...

But I just always thought it was very simple: If you did something and someone asks you if you did it and you didn't do it, you say no. Any other answer than no is some form of yes, isn't it?

Well Curt Schilling is another big mouthed moron, that's another of the dumbest quotes I've seen in some time. If you say 'no comment', that really means 'yes'?...huh, that's a new one. So if someone asks me if I kidnapped the Lindburgh baby and I stare blankly back at them without responding, I guess I just actually said 'some form of yes', thanks for clearing that up Curt, real nice work. Stick to throwing baseballs, please.

Besides being clearly logically wrong Schilling also doesn't have his facts straight, Barry Bonds has REPEATEDLY denied taking steroids. He is just tired of answering the same question over and over again and wants to focus on baseball as opposed to the same unfounded rumors and accusations time and time again, and I don't think that is unreasonable of him.

How is he supposed to prove he didn't take them?

Highlighted the key part there.

I tend to agree with the author of the article that was originally posted. And this is a guy that knows far more about Bonds than either of us. Unlike us, his opinion is informed and not biased by previous opinions of the person.

Sorry for the multiple posts, but yes, this author does know far far more about Bonds than either of us, but he is also suggesting he knows more than federal prosecutors as well as Major League Baseball. That is the only logical conclusion if he is 100% sure Bonds used steroids and can prove it, because if the government knew that they would have charged him, and if MLB knew that they would have suspended him.

Also I have no reason at all to believe that the author's opinion of Barry Bonds was completely unbiased prior to him writing that book, so I'm not sure where you got that from. In fact as a noted huge baseball fan I'm sure the author did have a bias one way or another on unarguably the greatest player of his generation, it would be nearly impossible for him not to. People might forget it, but Barry Bonds has always been a great baseball player, well before he or anyone else was accused of taking steroids, and they also forget he has always been a monumental asshole as well.