Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vapor

2008 NYR Thread

The Rangers have one-too many wingers with mid-level talent. I would set them up this way to start:

Straka - Gomez - Jagr

Shanny - Drury - Prucha

Hossa - Avery - Callahan

Unless they unload someone, picking up Peca may be problematic. I'm just not sure they can get enough in return should they want to trade anyone. They are pretty well set for next season, assuming Jagr leaves.

Not bad lines as well, although I am not a huge fan of Avery as C.

Lots of interesting convo's in Ranger land about who should center Jagr. My first inkling was that Gomez is the logical choice to replace Nylander, but I can see Drury working well too. Both much different, we will just have to see how the chemistry works.

The Rangers have one-too many wingers with mid-level talent. I would set them up this way to start:

Straka - Gomez - Jagr

Shanny - Drury - Prucha

Hossa - Avery - Callahan

Unless they unload someone, picking up Peca may be problematic. I'm just not sure they can get enough in return should they want to trade anyone. They are pretty well set for next season, assuming Jagr leaves.

Yeah, I agree. Adding Peca could cause lineup issues.

Theo - No, I didn't forget about Callahan. I was just speculating what the lineup would be with Peca added to it, and just couldn't find space...assuming he wouldn't play the 4th line, and that would consist of Hollweg-Betts-Orr (on most nights).

There isn't too much tread left on Peca's tires. How many 5'10" centers do the Rangers need? Sometimes we remember the player as he was, not as he now is. If he was so valuable, what's he doing unsigned a month plus after July 1st? Let one of the other 29 teams sign him, thank you.

Not bad lines as well, although I am not a huge fan of Avery as C.

Neither am I but he's the only one who can play the pivot on that line. I have a feeling that most of the wingers will be constantly jumping lines for them this season.

Don't forget Straka though. When Avery moved here, Straka got moved to second line duty. And since Renney seems to give ample time to the 3rd line, it is not really much of a demotion- especially when you look at the wingers he may have. I don't think the Jagr and Hossa experiment is over yet.

Yeah, the wingers are quite interchangable

There isn't too much tread left on Peca's tires. How many 5'10" centers do the Rangers need? Sometimes we remember the player as he was, not as he now is. If he was so valuable, what's he doing unsigned a month plus after July 1st? Let one of the other 29 teams sign him, thank you.

It used to be the Rangers who would sign players based on remembering how they used to play...

Most people underrate him now and make these claims that he isn't the player he used to be. He isn't, your right, but the old Peca would've been worth over double what he will sign for now. It's a silly claim, if he was the player he used to be, he'd be a 50-60 point center capable of playing a shutdown role. Sounds similar to Drury. He isn't paid and won't be paid like the player he "was", he'll go for what he is worth. Peca's been waiting for certain teams to shed salary before he signs. He was (likely still is) talking with the Leafs about coming back, but JFJ hasn't moved the salary. This is why he is unsigned, had he simply went to the highest bidder, he'd be gone by now.

So I guess the highest bidder, at the moment, hasn't offered him squat. Or to put it another way, what he thinks he is worth is more than what anyone has yet offered him. He is 33 years old, no spring chicken.

How did you get that from my post? Every article I've read claims he has turned down a number of offers, some for more money that he is reportedly seeking from NYR and Tor (1.5-2 apperantly).

No spring chicken, but hardly over the hill. He's a defensive center who can shutdown top lines and play first PK.

So I guess the highest bidder, at the moment, hasn't offered him squat. Or to put it another way, what he thinks he is worth is more than what anyone has yet offered him. He is 33 years old, no spring chicken.

Well then I guess Jags at 35 is no spring chicken either.

Yeah, but Jagr has scored over 95+ pts in his last two seasons as well and is still a world class player.

#96,

Keep up the Jagr love! If the day comes where Gary Bettman says, "Jaromir Jagr, come get the Cup for the New York Rangers", will you give in then? He is the all-time leading scorer from Europe. Like I said, Anson Carter could still be your go-to guy, if you like.

Ez,

If Peca is turning down higher offers in hopes of settling for 1.5 or 2 from either the Rangers or Leafs, he is free to do what he wants. For his sake, I hope he isn't on the outside looking in when training camps open. I am looking at his value to the Rangers given his age and his injury history. Just a different opinion on what the player brings to the team. There is a time and a place for a player. I just don't think the 07/08 Rangers are the time and the place for Peca. Just my opinion. A lot of other local Rangers fans want him badly. I don't.

Yeah, but Jagr has scored over 95+ pts in his last two seasons as well and is still a world class player.

Theo - Sorry, it's a little Anti-Jagr thing between me and Darkstar.

Darkstar - Yes, I will change my tune about Jagr when:

1) Bettman tells Jagr to come get the Cup while I watch from Section 409.

2) He stops moping all the time.

3) Starts backchecking like he's got a pair.

4) He gives me two minutes alone with his new 21 year old wife.

*Not necessarily in any particular order, but #4 would be a good start :D

Shouldn't the Rangers be trying to solidify their blueline? Far be it from me to worry about them wasting money but their FA track history is laughably bad.

#96,

I'll make it easy for you. Just become a Caps fan and you will have all the anti-Jagr buddies you'll ever need. :lol:

I'm also guessing you are a Yankees fan who thinks A-Rod sucks and should be off the team, too. I hear those true Yankees fans everyday on WFAN.

So, the Yankees without A-Rod would blow and the Rangers without Jagr would be 30th. But, at least, everybody is happy.

Shouldn't the Rangers be trying to solidify their blueline? Far be it from me to worry about them wasting money but their FA track history is laughably bad.

It's true, but FA-wise, there were not really any great choices this year that were reasonable- We could have used a true #1 or #2 guy realistically. Trade-wise, we would get raped. Overall, we were on of the top teams in the East during the past two years in least GA- Our defense as a whole plays pretty well, although when you break them down one by one it is not pretty. And Staal will be up this season as well, which can only help.

1:17 in the vid:

#96,

I'll make it easy for you. Just become a Caps fan and you will have all the anti-Jagr buddies you'll ever need. :lol:

It's true, there are few "pro-Jagr" caps fans. I'm a testament to that.

Alternatively #96, if you want to continue to support your Rangers, just wait until about mid way through this season, when Jagr realizes that Gomez can't pass like Nylander, throws a hissy fit and then all of a sudden is "injured" so can't play, either a thumb injury, or a groin/back/shoulder.

Then he will drag the team down with him.

Just saying, leave your options open :P :lol:

Some people are unbelievable.

Not to mention, Nylander's best numbers came as a NYR with Jagr. Gomez has had years that pretty much duplicated those numbers w/o playing with Jagr.

Also, no sure thing he is the one who will center Jagr. Might make sense to have Drury center Jags