Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vapor

2008 NYR Thread

Ticket prices went up to like 180 for us in 32. Might even be like 186 I think, something crazy like that

Damn, $180??? I mixed some info up. Yes, they did raise ticket prices for my bro. His were $22 or something, and now they're $26. What I meant was since I got them through my bro who was already a season ticket holder, I got a discount that I wouldn't have received if I went through normal ways.

As far as the Callahan Controversy, I'm a little torn between Theo and Chadd's sides.

I agree with Theo that he deserves to play, and play on the 2nd line. He performed well at the biggest time of the season. He left me with no doubt that he could play all season in a 2nd or 3rd line capacity and put up numbers.

But I also agree with Chadd in that he could stay down in the AHL and develop another year and get even better. I also agree that if the Rangers thought they had a qualified 2nd line guy in Callahan they wouldn't have made some of the moves they made.

I think you're gonna see some swapping between Hossa-Prucha-Callahan all season long until and only until, one guy steps up as the bonafide lock in that position.

Ryan Callahan has already earned the opportunity to start the season with the Rangers. In a different manner and package, he brought Avery-type energy to every shift he skated with the Rangers. He was tenacious on the forecheck and never backed off from finishing his checks on the end boards against proven NHL defencemen who were 40 lbs. heavier than him. He has the ability to stickhandle in traffic down low and take abuse in the slot before taking his shot. He created great opportunities with the puck in his limited ice-time on the Rangers. There is no fear factor for Ryan Callahan. As JD used to say about certain players, "You know, Sam, you have to like Ryan Callahan because he doesn't have a panic button when he's got the puck. He wants it."

If he's that valuable, why sign Peca and re-up Avery (at almost 4X Callahan's salary) when they're already hard-up against the cap? If you have good, young (cheap) players, you have to make room for them. The Rangers have done the exact opposite. Either they don't have the faith in him that some people here do, or their management is still as f'd up as a football bat.

DS pretty much sentiments my thoughts.

As for why sign Peca? It is the Rangers way, Chadd. For years. Sign the safe vet instead of relying on NHL ready kids. Of course you need vets, but this is one guy you need to pass on.

To be honest, to have Cally up or not is not even a discussion because he belongs on the Rangers. Because as I have said all through this discussion (and what you now add), a healthy team makes room for good young players such as Callahan. You want to talk about Dubinsky, it is a discussion. Avery doesn't really belong in this discussion, IMO. His contract is very reasonable. What you do is not sign the Peca's of the world

I heard on the radio that Peca will sign for another team if the Rangers don't sign him today.

Just was reading his agent was on the radio today saying it's down to two teams...and something should be done soon. It's left to Peca to figure out where he wants to go. Sounds like it's NYR or the CBJ.

If it weren't for Slats playing the Grizzly Adams card up in Banff, we'd have this guy signed already.

Seriously, Slats needs to get outta the self-induced isolation up in Alberta or wherever his log cabin is and start acting like a GM.

He always does that. He makes deals then runs and hides up there. He did that after the team fire-sale a few years ago (Leetch, Kovalev, Nedved, et. al.). "I'm sorry I was in my off-season home in remote Alberta and could not get proper cell phone reception." I hate that D-bag sometimes.

Best news since July 1st!! Peca would have been same old, same old. Thanks to Slats and the Coach for not caving in. Sometimes the best moves are the ones you don't make.

Columbus are going to be a real powerhouse in the west now with their recent signings, Peca, Beech, Novotny!!!!!

The sad part is that it's an improvement.

Well, AHL Fodder Callahan scored last night and was one of the best Ranger forwards. Also nice to note, the Rangers put in a kid where Peca would have played. Dubinsky will have growing pains and not 100% sure he will stay, but it was the right move.

2 more homegrowns on the team this year. The youth movement in full swing in Rangerland, with 3-4 more expected to make next year's team

Well, AHL Fodder Callahan scored last night and was one of the best Ranger forwards. Also nice to note, the Rangers put in a kid where Peca would have played. Dubinsky will have growing pains and not 100% sure he will stay, but it was the right move.

2 more homegrowns on the team this year. The youth movement in full swing in Rangerland, with 3-4 more expected to make next year's team

How do you think the rags will do next year if they want to keep Jagr?

They are up against the salary cap, and after this season the Rags will be on the books for the full salary (whatever that is).

They are getting over $3 million relief thanks to the caps.

They are close already, so might have to pull a few strings to get him back, particularly if avery has a good year, and doesn't cause trouble, he can probably demand more, along with younger players who are up for raises.

Could be an interesting off season next year for the rags

I may be wrong but aren't Avery and Shanny on 1 year contracts? That will free up some money if they decide to go with the kids.

yep, but "if" shanny makes his bonuses, they'll count against the cap next year. It's either 2 or 2.5 million.

I'm more worried about the Jagr tagalongs- the guys they acquired pretty much just to make him happy: Straka, Roszival, Malik. Straka's a guy who can do a whole lot, and is a plus on the team. same goes for Roszival. Both will be looking to get more money. It pains me that they're paying malik something like 2.5million.

Theo, I agree with you 100%. Dubinsky has shown me a lot in the preseason and thursday night's game.

But aren't Shanny's bonuses something ridiculous like 20 games played? I just remember thinking it'd be a miracle if he didn't hit them when I first heard them.

He'll hit them, you're right.

You probably have Straka retiring, Malik being let go, Shanny retiring. Those spots can be filled as we have Cherepanov, Bourret, Sauer, Anisimov- the latter three were very close out of camp.

I didn't think much of Dubinsky last year. He's ready now. 3rd line, ehhh, but he's got to have a chance. I actually like all the kids they allowed to stay. Staal is still iffy in my book, but it's about time he stepped up.

I didn't think much of Dubinsky last year. He's ready now. 3rd line, ehhh, but he's got to have a chance. I actually like all the kids they allowed to stay. Staal is still iffy in my book, but it's about time he stepped up.

He's 20 years old and jumping from the Jr's to NHL. There will certainly be mistakes and a learning curve, but he has shown his potential at times already.

Funny, so far it has been the defense overall that has looked good, especially Girardi and Tyutin. Forwards need some consistency to get the lines going

BTW- People thought I was crazy when I suggested Jagr with Drury a few months ago...I still think it can work, but it will take time, and Hossa on the left

But aren't Shanny's bonuses something ridiculous like 20 games played? I just remember thinking it'd be a miracle if he didn't hit them when I first heard them.

He'll hit them, you're right.

That's why I put the "if" in quotation marks in my previous post. The Rags know he'll hit them, the league knows he'll hit them. Finally someone other than Lou Lam gets a break. I still think they'll have a hard time getting everyone under next year, but only time will tell.

Dubinsky has shown me a whole lot in the few games I've seen him play. he's skating the puck, had a scrap in PS which I totally didn't expect, and just puts it all out there. The jury is still out on Staal for me. He's still a bit wet behind the ears, but hopefully he'll be able to pull it all together. I like the idea of playing him with Mara, although pairing him up with Strudwick wouldn't be a bad idea either. The only problem then is, who sits out for Struds?

I thought Staal was pretty good in his first two games. Nothing too fancy but certainly didn't look the out of place. If I recall the most glaring mistakes made while he was on the ice were the fault of his partners, Mara and Strudwick respectively.

I thought Staal was pretty good in his first two games. Nothing too fancy but certainly didn't look the out of place. If I recall the most glaring mistakes made while he was on the ice were the fault of his partners, Mara and Strudwick respectively.

Couldn't agree more, Jay. Thankfully, Rosvisal and Malik look to be starting fairly well (aside from the brain fart on the second GA against Ottawa). Girardi and Tyutin look like seasoned vets. Most impressed with them.

Hopefully Hossa fills in well with the first line and Straka for the second line while Avery is out. I like that first line better anyways (Hossa-Jags-Dru) as it creates more of a power game down low, which I feel is all three guys bread and butter area. Straka with Gomez and Shanny should help as well, As Shanny's lack of speed is not helping the line. Straka can keep up and help create plays with Shanny as the trailer.

One beef is Renney sticking Betts on the 3rd line because he doesn't trust Dubi, which is wrong, IMO

Couldn't agree more, Jay. Thankfully, Rosvisal and Malik look to be starting fairly well (aside from the brain fart on the second GA against Ottawa). Girardi and Tyutin look like seasoned vets. Most impressed with them.

Hopefully Hossa fills in well with the first line and Straka for the second line while Avery is out. I like that first line better anyways (Hossa-Jags-Dru) as it creates more of a power game down low, which I feel is all three guys bread and butter area. Straka with Gomez and Shanny should help as well, As Shanny's lack of speed is not helping the line. Straka can keep up and help create plays with Shanny as the trailer.

One beef is Renney sticking Betts on the 3rd line because he doesn't trust Dubi, which is wrong, IMO

Yeah, I wish Renney would give Dubinsky a little more time on the third line. I'm excited about Hossa with Drury and Jagr. So many fans are always down on Hossa but I really think he can produce when playing with players not named Hollweg and Betts.

How bout them 3-0 caps. If they beat the rangers friday, it will match the franchise record for most wins to start the season.

Kozlov, Poti, Nylander and Backstrom, the 4 main additions, all playing very well.

Should be a good game Friday. Caps played poorly yesterday and still managed to win. That is not something that would have happened last year.

They have skill players playing skill positions, and fast forechecking forwards playing the 3rd line, and a tough, defenisvely responsible 4th.

The D has been good, and are 100% on the PK, while it's only 3 games, it's impressive. They've also only taken 12 penalties through 3 games, something they would have racked up in one game last year.

Didn't want to start a new thread, so thought I would pop it in here, since theres some rangers talk and thats the next game.

On top of that, Semin has only played 1 game, if he's ready for friday, thats another legitimate sniper ready to go.