Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NuggyBuggy

French hockey phrases

I'm going to Montreal to play in an adult tournament. I speak some French, though not in a long time, but moreover am sorely lacking in the phrases that would get tossed around in a tournament.

I'm looking for phrases equivalent to the English "good game", "nice goal/play", and the like.

And if things turn around, I might need the equivalents of phrases like "goddamnit", "shit", "f**k you", "kiss my ass", "shut the f**k up", "what the f**k/hell", etc.

Any other useful phrases from speakers fluent in Quebecois French would be much appreciated.

I know I could use an online translator or look in my English-French dictionary but sometimes what you end up with is not quite what a native speaker would say.

Probably 95% of the Montrealers speak or understand english pretty well.

Use english, you wont have any problems being understodd around here.

where about are you going to play?

insultmonger.com

haha nice website, second thing i found...

Ta mere suce des ours dans la foret- Your mother sucks bears in the forest

I will help you :P

good game = Belle partie (the ie become like a E in english)

nice goal/play = Belle partie / beau jeu

goddamnit = Maudit criss

shit = Marde

f**k you = Va chier

kiss my ass = Embrasse mon cul

shut the f**k up = Ferme ta yeule

what the f**k/hell = colice d estie de sacrament !!!

offside = Horsjeu

fucking frog = hehe we hate that here but its = maudite grenouille

hope that helps :P

i thought good game was Bonne jeu?

Also just swear in enlgish they;ll get it

and tabarnack it can be good and bad those meaning in fornt of the church or then of coruse the bad

shut the f**k up = Ferme ta yeule
Merci beaucoups !

One question - when cursing in French at a stranger, one uses the familiar (Ferme ta yeule) instead of the formal (Fermez votre yeule) ? They never taught me how to curse properly in all my years of French...

As for insultmonger.com - thanks, I laughed my head off. My wife's parents are Slovenian. I read off some of the Slovenian insults and she said her Mom says some of them all the time but that she had no idea what they meant... I had the pleasure of breaking it to her that her mother has the mouth of a sailor.

Well I would say it's more bonne game or bien joué but bonne partie is the correct way to say it.

tete carre--square head

That would apply when a french person is insulting an english speaking person. Don't tell a quebecer he's a square head, cause he's just gonna fun of you and you'll look like a real idiot.

And don't forget our traditional esti de tapette! That's a classic, it means fucking fag.

And don't forget our traditional esti de tapette! That's a classic, it means fucking fag

Its mean more like fucking pusy then fucking fag imo. :P

to say good game you'll say "bon match"

good play " bien joué"

nice goal = beau but

goddamnit = Maudit criss

shit = Merde

f**k you = Va chier

shut the f**k up = Ferme ta gueule

what the f**k/hell = putain de merde

offside = Hors jeu

fucking frog = hehe we hate that here but its = putain de grenouille

good pass = belle passe

good shot = beau tir

Don't forget about "sacré bleu" (pronounced sa-cra blew).

It's the equivalent of an old fashioned "golly" or "gosh darn it" and it's always good for a laugh when said with an English accent.

I don't know the origin of it but perhaps it has something to do with making fun of the royalty (aka blue bloods)??

Have a good trip.

One question - when cursing in French at a stranger, one uses the familiar (Ferme ta yeule) instead of the formal (Fermez votre yeule) ? They never taught me how to curse properly in all my years of French...

Excellent query. You should use the "ta". Using "vous" implies respect or formality, which I am confident in saying do not apply to the statement in question.

i'm reading Ken Dryden's The Game, and they use Tabernac a lot lol nice to know what it actually means...might use it in french class now :P

Hahaha, yeah, everyone should understand your chirps in english.

If you want to get under someone's skin, call them a "moumoune" (I'm not sure on the spelling....never had to write it :P) Pronounced "MOO MOO NUH"

Means pansy, fairy, etc. It's a good one for getting someone riled up.

If you want to comment on a nice play or whatever, just say Beau! (Nice!) Beau passe, beau but (BEAUX BOO), nice goal, or, bien fait (BE EHN FAY), good job, well done.

That should getcha through ;)

I have never, ever heard someone actually say sacre bleu. You will get made fun of incessantly if you say that, do not do that.

To add, do NOT, EVER, call a french player a frog or a pepper.

That is INCREDIBLY insulting, it's basically a slur. You will get your ass thoroughly kicked if you do. Whoever said to say that, shame on you.

Hahaha, yeah, everyone should understand your chirps in english.

If you want to get under someone's skin, call them a "moumoune" (I'm not sure on the spelling....never had to write it :P) Pronounced "MOO MOO NUH"

Means pansy, fairy, etc. It's a good one for getting someone riled up.

If you want to comment on a nice play or whatever, just say Beau! (Nice!) Beau passe, beau but (BEAUX BOO), nice goal, or, bien fait (BE EHN FAY), good job, well done.

That should getcha through ;)

I have never, ever heard someone actually say sacre bleu. You will get made fun of incessantly if you say that, do not do that.

To add, do NOT, EVER, call a french player a frog or a pepper.

That is INCREDIBLY insulting, it's basically a slur. You will get your ass thoroughly kicked if you do. Whoever said to say that, shame on you.

Remember Prospal? :lol:

Prospal calling Brisebois a fuckin' frog.

to say good game you'll say "bon match"

good play " bien joué"

nice goal = beau but

goddamnit = Maudit criss

shit = Merde

f**k you = Va chier

shut the f**k up = Ferme ta gueule

what the f**k/hell = putain de merde

offside = Hors jeu

fucking frog = hehe we hate that here but its = putain de grenouille

good pass = belle passe

good shot = beau tir

Those are pretty much dead-on.

You might want to add:

asshole = trou de cul (pronounced "trou'd cu")

nice dangle = belle feinte

Most french slang is from english. Check the scoreboard, would be: "check le score" or "check le tableau". Both are gramatically wrong in french with the proper being: "regarde le tableau de pointage." but like i said before, 90% of french slurs/slang are english.