Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dalston

MacBook Air

Do you really need three new mac's? We get it your rich.

Do you really want to know what i paid for them?

You couldnt even get a base macbook.

Do you really need three new mac's? We get it your rich.

Do you really want to know what i paid for them?

You couldnt even get a base macbook.

We don't care what you paid for them or even if you paid for them.

Akin to the stick weight argument, are standard size laptops really that heavy?

No, they aren't. My Macbook is tiny. I know a lot of Mac people were whining that they didn't have an "ultraportable" Macbook with a 12" screen (like a 13.3" widescreen is really taking up that much real estate). Personally, I wish mine had a bigger screen, but--ta-da--they make external monitors that you can plug in.

I can see wanting a powerful computer if you want to play games or do audio/video production, or wanting a touch screen if you want to draw on it or take notes, but the super-thin laptop is a bit to techno-fetish for me.

Having never owned anything but a Mac I was excited for the Apple Keynote. After seeing it only one word could describe what I thought F$@k!! A few days later that really came true when my apple stock had the floor drop out from underneath it. I had been hoping for a new look for the Mac Book Pro only to be disappointed. For now I will have to wait till later in the year when new Mac Book Pros will be expected.

Oh I know it goes up and down its just that I was up quite a bit before and this brought me into the neg which had not happened before. I have been close but this finally pushed me over.

Actually since i got my ipod i really like the way its built up, and i've been thinking of getting a macbook air somewhen. Otherwise im studying at university now and mostly i'd use it for internet and such things, so maybe the only thing i lack about this device that i'd had to buy a usb hub, because it has only 1 usb port. Has anyone else been planning to switch from windows to mac os recently, because i really starting to hate it more and more and i heard that macs are more reliable. what are your experiences?

I switched a while ago mostly because I do a lot of art on it and people just say they are better for art. I started using them just in school in high school then bought my own. And like Stampeder said its like a chore to use windows for me. My friends who have windows all complain about their viruses and all that and with a mac you really don't have to worry about that. Even my parents who aren't the best with computers think they are easier to use and thats saying a lot.

oh and get applecare its the best thing you can do. Anything happens that isn't your fault or that they can't prove is your fault is completely covered. Just don't drop it or spill something on it.

I actually gave it a peek "hands on" last night at the Apple store... I wasn't impressed at all. My G4 Powerbook with custom specs is still running like a tank (minus a Leopard update)..... so for that hefty of a price tag, I'll settle with a 24" iMac, thanks....

Again, it's a specific demographic they're going for and it will kill at that small group but not big enough to be continued to be a "success." Except for some spazzes that can't decide between it and a regular notebook.

Agreed... business, etc. If I had even gone with a desktop as opposed to my Powerbook, I would have considered it a nice mobile addition to my network.... but there was no way I'd use Aperture on it, or even attempt to tackle my audio projects on a screen so small.

I think it's what, $200 to go from an Air to a Pro? It's such an easy call for me but I don't have to jockey it around airports and various companies on the road.

Agreed... business, etc. If I had even gone with a desktop as opposed to my Powerbook, I would have considered it a nice mobile addition to my network.... but there was no way I'd use Aperture on it, or even attempt to tackle my audio projects on a screen so small.

I think it's what, $200 to go from an Air to a Pro? It's such an easy call for me but I don't have to jockey it around airports and various companies on the road.

and since its only $200 like mack said if you get a pro and the screen is too small external monitors I was checking them out at best buy for about $300 you can get a 22 inch flat wide screen. Not bad. I'm looking to get one because I'm tired of looking at my 12inch powerbook and want something bigger.

and since its only $200 like mack said if you get a pro and the screen is too small external monitors I was checking them out at best buy for about $300 you can get a 22 inch flat wide screen. Not bad. I'm looking to get one because I'm tired of looking at my 12inch powerbook and want something bigger.

Yeah, my Powerbook is 15.5 inch... It's decent, but I'd like something way bigger for Aperture projects. I really, really love the 24 inch iMac.

Yeah, my Powerbook is 15.5 inch... It's decent, but I'd like something way bigger for Aperture projects. I really, really love the 24 inch iMac.

i thought about buying one this summer, but I am going to be moving off campus which means buying some other things before a computer and my powerbook is running really well still. So an external monitor will do the trick just fine for me.

The apple operating system is more functional, secure, accessible, and stable for the average person, in my opinion. I've convinced about 3 people I know to switch to apples so far, and they all are satisfied, as I am with my ibook...unless you are doing work that needs the windows platform, then an apple would probably be a step up from windows if you give it a shot.

As for the macbook air, it really seems like a waste to produce this more expensive and yet less powerful and functional laptop, though given some of the people who are in the market for Apple products (the housewife who needs to have all the sleek, new, expensive, gimmicky products), the air might do alright. For myself or anyone who wants a practical machine, it would be impossible to justify purchasing an air, as it's totally about aesthetics. The minimal increased space/weight saved by purchasing one would not be worth the significant downgrade in power and functionality that you get.

Personally I would wait until summer when the machines are usually upgraded, and then buy a Macbook pro if you have the money.

The apple operating system is more functional, secure, accessible, and stable for the average person, in my opinion. I've convinced about 3 people I know to switch to apples so far, and they all are satisfied, as I am with my ibook...unless you are doing work that needs the windows platform, then an apple would probably be a step up from windows if you give it a shot.

As for the macbook air, it really seems like a waste to produce this more expensive and yet less powerful and functional laptop, though given some of the people who are in the market for Apple products (the housewife who needs to have all the sleek, new, expensive, gimmicky products), the air might do alright. For myself or anyone who wants a practical machine, it would be impossible to justify purchasing an air, as it's totally about aesthetics. The minimal increased space/weight saved by purchasing one would not be worth the significant downgrade in power and functionality that you get.

Personally I would wait until summer when the machines are usually upgraded, and then buy a Macbook pro if you have the money.

If the only reason to get a mac is the OS X, then I suggest running Linux. I'd say it gives just as much functionality as a mac, and I'm sure it's just as, if not more, secure as a mac. Plus, most distributions are free to try, and some include basically all the software most users will ever need.

That said, my laptop is running on dual-boot XP/Ubuntu (linux for normal people) and 99% of the time I use the XP.

As for the Air, I really don't know. If I need an ultraportable laptop, I'd go with an Asus eeePC. Some say that it doesn't have the functionality of the Air; I agree that it doesn't, but at a quarter of the price you get something that's a quarter of the footprint of the Air. The Air does make a hell of a "primary" laptop if you get the solid state drive though.

Well, Linux is a good option if you are more tech-savvy and don't mind spending some extra time figuring things out...most people just want the damn thing to load their webpages and print their documents without having to mess around with anything. In that case, I still think OSX is the most hands-off, user-friendly operating system. Plus Apple's support is quite good, whereas with Linux you are out of luck most of the time if something goes wrong.

How do you like Ubuntu compared to other linux distributions? I've been thinking of trying it...

I'd say Ubuntu's the most user friendly distribution of Linux that's available for free. Like I said, comes pre-loaded with every program imaginable. There's an office suite (Open Office), browser (Mozilla) and even a "photoshop" (GIMP editor). You know you can just try Ubuntu "risk free" by downloading a .iso, burning it onto a CD and boot it off the CD without having to install anything. Without trying to sound like a shameless plug (this isn't, I don't work in the tech field at all), Ubuntu's probably the easiest to use. Of course, eventually you'll have to learn to use the terminal, but it's not all that bad, since you can google it while you're doing it. Pretty simple. Also, the system requirements for Ubuntu and it's derivatives are very low. Don't quote me, but you need like a sub 500mhz CPU, 256mb RAM and a CD-ROM drive to use them. Xubuntu takes even less resources. These OS's are good for public computer labs and such, and I had installed Ubuntu on each computer in a computer lab I worked in and the beginners had no trouble using them (okay, I USED to work in the tech field). This was on donated computers, mind you.

Now that we've gone completely off topic, lets talk about Macs...