Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dalston

MacBook Air

It was great to be able to run redhat and debian smoothly (with x-windows and kde) on a 200mhz, 64mb ram, 4gig HD a few years ago when the minimum requirements for Windows were more than twice that...and the thing would run for months at a time without a reboot, while windows rarely lasts one day without some problem. one reason to love linux, though of course you also have to be mindful of hardware compatibility issues and security issues.

I got to see a display model the other day. I was actually very impressed. If you take a step out of your box and take it for what it is, its a very nice ultra portable. I wasn't allowed to turn it on, but the weight and size alone are enough to sell me on it. I will probably get one as my school notebook. You have to hold it in your hands to appreciate it... it weighs next to nothing.

If you are looking for a multimedia laptop or a desktop replacement, it would be stupid to buy one of these. As Mack mentioned, its filling a niche.

If you are looking for a multimedia laptop or a desktop replacement, it would be stupid to buy one of these. As Mack mentioned, its filling a niche.

That it is...I suppose it would be the best choice out there now for most people in the ultra-portable department. I've wanted to see one in person ever since seeing that commercial where it slips out of a standard yellow envelope. Just really depends on what you want in the computer.

Did you try the keyboard at all? It seems that a computer being so light and thin might not have a decent, stable keyboard that could be used for a lot of typing..though by now I'm learning not to doubt Apple's insight and capabilities when creating new products.

That it is...I suppose it would be the best choice out there now for most people in the ultra-portable department. I've wanted to see one in person ever since seeing that commercial where it slips out of a standard yellow envelope. Just really depends on what you want in the computer.

Did you try the keyboard at all? It seems that a computer being so light and thin might not have a decent, stable keyboard that could be used for a lot of typing..though by now I'm learning not to doubt Apple's insight and capabilities when creating new products.

I opened it to see the screen, but didn't do anything on the keyboard. It looked like it was good quality (more than I can say for my HP's keyboard).

yeah, but that doesn't look as cool....anybody who isn't willing to admit that buying any apple product is as much a fashion statement as it is anything else are just lying to themselves.

yeah, but that doesn't look as cool....anybody who isn't willing to admit that buying any apple product is as much a fashion statement as it is anything else are just lying to themselves.

I don't buy apple for a fashion statement. I am a photographer. All the programs I use run better on a mac. In the 6 years of using macs I have never had a virus or any sort of a problem with the computers. I know kids who use windows computers who are computer science majors telling me how their computer crashed again. I admit I know a little about computers and when I was using windows it never crashed on me and I knew how to delete viruses. In my eyes apples are just better. Especially what I use them for. But I do agree with you there are some people out there who buy them because they look pretty, or its the in thing now. Good marketing I guess.

I don't buy apple for a fashion statement. I am a photographer. All the programs I use run better on a mac. In the 6 years of using macs I have never had a virus or any sort of a problem with the computers. I know kids who use windows computers who are computer science majors telling me how their computer crashed again. I admit I know a little about computers and when I was using windows it never crashed on me and I knew how to delete viruses. In my eyes apples are just better. Especially what I use them for. But I do agree with you there are some people out there who buy them because they look pretty, or its the in thing now. Good marketing I guess.

Computer guys tend to screw with their computers a lot more than the average person, hence their crashes. I ran the same machine from 2001 until last year with no problems. Not using a lot of microsoft programs really helps in that regard.

I couldn't be happier with my IBM. The Macbook Air sure is pretty, but without a DVD drive it's use is seriously compromised. With an external drive, the size factor is pretty much negated...

mack is that the espon 6 color printer that can print on cds?

i have that printer and hate the damned thing! $60 for ink my ass!

mack I envy your computer collection. I only own two old ass ones. I have my g4 imac and my g4 powerbook. I would kill for the new 24 inch imac and a new 15 inch macbook pro.

And Chadd I agree with you about how computer guys mess with their stuff more then the average user. Just bringing up a point that not all mac users buy them because they look pretty.

mack is that the espon 6 color printer that can print on cds?

i have that printer and hate the damned thing! $60 for ink my ass!

I own that printer and find ink on eBay for under $3.00 when I buy in quantity.

By the way, Mack, kudos for owning an arcade game. Does it play multiple games?

Yep that's the printer and I agree about the ink. I'm going to take Jason's advice and get it from eBay and stop stealing it from work.

Jason-

It's the last of two I used to have, the other being an old USA/USSR Bubble Top. That one's at my mother's house and I'll never get that away from my brother. It's only Tempest, but I've been eyeballing an arcade that's going out of business for possible deals. Arcade TMNT is what I'm hoping for.

It's funny that you want that because my friend picked it up a few months ago to polish off his "male room". There is no better arcade game if you ask me thank god we don't have to put quarters in that thing because we would all be broke at this point, he also has the Simpsons game, both purchsed from an arcade going under.

The past few Christmases, Costco has been selling an arcade console that I think has over 100 games. It's official sized like Mack's and I hope I'll be able to buy it one day. My goal is like a lot of parents: have a game room that's fun enough that our girls would like to spend time with their friends at our house, rather than somewhere else where they could get themselves into trouble or danger.

The only problem is, as much as I think there's nothing wrong with allowing the kids to drink moderate amounts of alcohol, since I think we essentially train young adults to become binge drinkers with the way we shelter them from alcohol, I could go to jail in our state for supplying alcohol. Alas, I find my bed very comfortable, however, so if the kids want alcohol, they'll have to get into trouble or danger elsewhere.

Arcade TMNT is what I'm hoping for.

Ah, yes...I used to love this game when I was younger, but haven't seen it around in ages.

OBVIOUSLY not the same thing without the old casing and full sized set-up, but if anyone was really desperate just to play the game I think you can download it on xbox live arcade. As I said I know its not the same as having the old school original, but very cool nonetheless.

Edit: Should proof read before hitting post.

Slightly off topic but I didn't feel like making a new one...

My computer went to shit and I'm in the market for a new one. Looking at an Apple. When are they going to release their next line of laptops? Is it random or is it scheduled? Also, does anyone have any insight into them? Thanks.

They just upgraded the macbook pro processor speed, so one of those would be a good bet. The next time they would be releasing upgraded/new systems would be in the summer, like they've done in the past.

Yup, if you need one now and are in the market the MacBook Pros are nice. I sold an older MacBook and got the upgraded Pro and it's berry berry gud.

My goal is like a lot of parents: have a game room that's fun enough that our girls would like to spend time with their friends at our house, rather than somewhere else where they could get themselves into trouble or danger.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but - as a kid - I have to tell you that I don't think that's ever going to happen. It doesn't matter how much fun shit you might have in your game room: eventually, it's all going to get old and they're going to look for other stuff to do. Like it or not, they're probably going to have to leave the house.

My parents lucked-out; I've been, for the most part, ridiculously easy to keep track of. If I'm not at the rink, there is an outstanding chance that I'm at the ball field, the gym or the golf course...and my buddy and I have spent just about every second of our free time playing wiffleball in my backyard (serious shit - fences, lines, foul poles, etc.) every summer since we were about 9 years old, so it's not like we really have to think of crazy (stupid) shit to do to keep from getting wicked bored. We don't even have to leave our property.

i beg to differ LkptTiger see I used to be friends with this girl when I was in high school and she had a sick game room. Pool, basketball, and shuffle board table and an all around sick house and we always wanted to go hangout there. The kid who lives there may get bored, but the kids friends who don't have that stuff want to be there.