Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dalston

MacBook Air

Gimp performance, no cd/dvd rom, 1 usb port...

I know its supposed to be an ultra portable.. but honestly.. Its the fattest pda I have ever seen.

That's all it's meant for. I know people of ours on the road who will kill to have this instead of the shit they lug around airports and it's geared for them.

for the optical drive, you can pretty much access any optical drive from a computer wirelessly, this is certainly not a gaming computer, but it is desinged for the traveling person, the computer is focused on wireless conections, so you dont need to have all those cables. plus the new ssd(solid state drive)wich has no moving part,makes it faster and better performing,is a option. but it is not worth the $$$ and only has 64gb of memory, the 80gb comes with only 4200rpm. those of you who own a ipod touch are familiar with the multy-touch technology, the mac air includes a track pad with the same technology,

The form factor is interesting and it sounds like the battery is fairly easy to change if you open the case.

On the other hand you have to make all the sacrifices required for an ultra-portable. It will be handy for office software users on the go. Other than that I do not see much use for it.

I love what I read about Jobs' showmanship as he introduced it. He pulled it out of a manilla envelope, to convey how thin the computer is.

Pretty showy display by Jobs. And, the Apple sheep go "baaa!" every time he gives them an opportunity

That's all it's meant for. I know people of ours on the road who will kill to have this instead of the shit they lug around airports and it's geared for them.

Then they'll carry 25 pound of other peripherals to go along with the ultra-portable laptop,

Not really, but you will need peripherals of course. The Superdrive and a battery aren't going to make it that cumbersome.

The way I see it, my laptop will stop any incoming bullets towards my back since it weighs about 15 pounds. Neat little toy they got there, but I don't need extreme portability.

Not really, but you will need peripherals of course. The Superdrive and a battery aren't going to make it that cumbersome.

I'm just mocking what I see every day I work. People with ultra-thin laptops and 45lb laptop bags full of bullshit just make me laugh.

Yeah, I used to do that then realised their jobs let them out on the road and I quietly took my water from the machine and went back to my office in resent.

What I dont understand is why my friends buy tiny laptops, but bring along CD books with like 200 in them. Im going to be picking up a new macbook I think but not the air, the sooner I can get rid of this gateway shit box the better.

Yeah, I used to do that then realised their jobs let them out on the road and I quietly took my water from the machine and went back to my office in resent.
My gettting out this week included a one hour sightseeing tour of Boston before we declared an emergency and took everyone back to Logan. I did get a great nap on the ferry flight back to the maintenance hangar though. That was way better than freezing my balls off in C-bus or Newburgh.

Akin to the stick weight argument, are standard size laptops really that heavy?

Compared to the MacBook Air this bottle of juice I have is heavy. Compared to laptops, yes the normal ones are "heavy" but it weighs on people who are carrying them around airports, meetings, appointments, etc.

It is very nice to have a tiny laptop. I personally bought an Asus EeePC right when they came out. It weighs in at 2 pounds. I just came back from some long haul travel to Asia and it was great to not have to lug an 8 pound laptop and 2 pound power brick around with my clothes, books, etc. No need for all the extra peripherals either...I just ripped everything I needed onto a couple SD cards.

The money's not the problem as it's just the inability to make a simple decision. That's just scary.

Or worse yet... to make two bad decisions.

It's interesting. It's wafer thin. If I ever owned one I'd be too afraid to leave the house with it in risk of snapping it in half. I broke my iPod touch (the older, thin ones) by sitting on it. Snapped in half.

I'm also afraid of this whole 'scene'. Today I caught myself looking at YouTube videos on my iPod touch while drinking Starbucks on campus. I felt shame and disappointment in myself when I became aware of what a consumer wh#@! I am sometimes.

Edit: I didn't break my iPod touch. That one is intact. I meant nano.

I'm also afraid of this whole 'scene'. Today I caught myself looking at YouTube videos on my iPod touch while drinking Starbucks on campus. I felt shame and disappointment in myself when I became aware of what a consumer wh#@! I am sometimes.

Actually since you're the one shelling out for it, you're more "John" than whore.