Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dalston

MacBook Air

I have waited for a while for the new MacBooks to come, but know im not so sure im gonna get it.

So Apple launched "The worlds smallest notebook", MacBook Air at MacWorld.

It's thin, it's cool, it's light but it is enough to cover up the slow hard-disk (if you don't have enough to pay for the SSD), slower processer, higher price, no optical drive and the battery you can't change.

Im not sure, what about you?

i am not in the market for a laptop, wish i was but anyway. This seems like technology for technology's sake.

I mean, thin is cool, but no optical drive? WTF? It's a laptop that locks you into downloading any media from apple or similar. IMO that just sucks.

I also wonder about the strength of this computer, i mean how much would it suck to pull out you skinny laptop with a giant crack across it?

If i were buying a apple laptop, i'd go for a macbook or macbook pro.

It's pretty, it's technically castrated, perfect for the audience that wants one. The "look at me I have a mac" crowd. Not like anyone that owns a mac is going to be doing any serious work or gaming on it anyway. So it's fine for what it does I suppose.

Not like anyone that owns a mac is going to be doing any serious work

Now come on! That's not true, i work on a mac everyday. I do agree in the sense that with the base macbook air id don't think you could get a lot done quickly.

You do make a point, if you wanted a flashy surfing-the-net, emailing, for fun type of computer (if you have that kind of money) it would work.

This seems like a luxury computer not really a practical one.

Here's where I would use an air, if I had a mac at my company and then wanted a travel notebook for presentations, etc and lightweight was an issue, an external superdrive for $99 isn't a bad deal..we are talking about sub-notebooks here a very small segment of the population...

I ooh'd and ahh'd over it for a couple hours but my next laptop to replace this iBook will be a MacBook or a MacBook Pro...

Now come on! That's not true, i work on a mac everyday.

I said serious work! ;)

Well i'm not savings lives with my adv designs, no. :P

really, no optical drive? That, and having a battery that isn't replaceable makes this laptop a joke. Seriously, this is one for the diehard apple fanboys. You can get a better laptop that's only slightly heavier for half the price. If that 10 ounces difference in weight is worth doubling the price, not to mention you don't get the basic components found in almost every computer out there now, maybe you should just get an iphone. Seems like it won't be able to do much more than that anyway.

I will stick with my black macbook. Im not a fan of the all wireless thing. I like to watch my dvd's on here and i like to burn cd's for people all the time.

I'm curious to hear about this virtual drive thing- run CDs and DVDs from another Windows/Mac computer?

I actually think this is a great step for computing as distributed computing within the same network is something that I've been advocating for years.

I loved my old Toshiba Portege and it was a similar setup. I was doing a lot of tech support at the time and I was all over the med center campus.

The MacBook Air is definitely a sweet looking machine. I don't think the optical drive thing is such a big issue. I don't even remember the last time I put a CD/DVD in my machine....but that's just me.

In my opinion, its just too expensive at this point to really be successful. If the the price drops a little, you never know. But when they want that kinda cash for a machine that doesn't quite have the performance some would expect, I get a little disappointed.

I'm sure it'd probably be sweet to have one if I had an extra $1800 to throw around.

Yeah you could pull the current one out of a Manila envelope though. I have no clue how they could make a laptop so thin as the Air.

Unfortunately for Apple, the last Macbook has killed my "upgrade" desires.

Although I am nervous about the internal drive. If I was burning more than the occasional disc, I'd spring for a USB box. Cheaper to replace a $40 drive than a $200+ internal one.

The battery is the only turn off for me and that it might be a bit fragile

With apples sick customer service im sure if there was a problem with the battery theyd replace it no questions asked. Just look how often they replace ipods for the idiots who dropped them in the toilet accedentally (me) :P

I read somewhere it was along the lines of $120 to replace the battery. I would rather get a MBP for a little bit more money though. My iMac is doing me quite fine right now but I will probably need a laptop in the next few months.

It's built for salesmen and not really marketed for anyone else, that's my take on it. It's Apple's response to the Sony models.

Well I'm going to be a real estate agent so I suppose I am what they are looking for, but I am not too impressed, probably pick up another 13" Macbook. I really can't see this selling that well. Was there quite a bit of Apple stock dumped after this announcement? I know there was quite a bit bought last year after the iPhone announcement.

I like my MBP instead. It looks good but It's missing the normal laptop functions like the cd drive and multiple USB ports. I like the trackpad though with the whole touch thing. I am dissapointed that they didn't announce the iPhone for Canada, but they could be waiting toe Telus to go to GSM, that would be paradise.