Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IHACitizen1

eXtreme Inline Hockey League

The Day Has Finally Arrived

American Inline Hockey Properties, LLC (AIHP) is proud to announce the creation of a new elite inline hockey league, the eXtreme Inline Hockey League (XIHL). After months of hard work and through the collaborative efforts of three of the top inline hockey league executives in the world today, this semi-pro, AAA-style league has what players, rink operators and fans have been asking for: A hard-hitting, action-packed inline hockey league where the best of the best can showcase their talents and fans of the game can watch one of the most exciting and extreme forms of sports entertainment being played today.

Founding members of the XIHL include:

Steve Seeger, Director of League Operations and former Commissioner of Major League Roller Hockey,

Charlie Yoder, Director of Team Operations and President of the Professional Inline Hockey Association and,

Benny Gulakiw, Director of Marketing and Public Relations and President of Inline Hockey America.

These three individuals, with well over 25 years of combined experience between them, have joined forces to create a professionally-run, fan-friendly league.

What makes the XIHL extreme and what makes it different than any other league out there? The XIHL is a full-contact inline hockey league played in the traditional roller hockey league format. By including the best players, fans can expect high-scoring, hard-hitting, end-to-end action from the first whistle to the final horn. The XIHL will be operated with a degree of professionalism, attention to detail and high standards never before seen.

The XIHL is set to begin play this Fall with a festival-style format running from September through December with the Championships being played in January 2005. The full XIHL season is scheduled to start September 2005. The XIHL is in the process of finalizing many other aspects of league operations. A temporary page has been set-up at the league’s web site (eXtreme Inline Hockey League) where people who are extremely interested in getting the latest information can sign-up for the XIHL Newsletter and receive exclusive updates e-mailed directly to them. In the meantime, anyone with any questions or comments can post them here or can e-mail them to the League’s Director of Marketing and Public Relations, Benny Gulakiw, at benny@xihl.com. Fans who do not wish to sign-up for the newsletter can look for league updates in the days and weeks to come here on this site.

any idea if you guys have a team from North Carolina? Sounds pretty cool, but i cant see full contact in roller hockey.....Sounds like the iold XFL name wise... ;)

Actually, we are negotiating with a group who is very interested in putting a team in North Carolina, if not for the upcoming festival season then for next fall's full season.

The full-contact issues is big one. I'll MDE3 answer that. However, many of us, particularly here in the Northeast and the Great Lakes region find full-contact inline hockey very enjoyable to watch. That's the way pro roller hockey has always been played. The old pro leagues failed because of bad business decisions by league management and teams owners. Many of the fans loved the game that combined the hard-hitting action of full-contact with the natural finesse and high-scoring associated with the sport of inline hockey. The best of both worlds.

Ok that sounds great, having a team in North Carolina would be awesome...but would we have to build a stadium for them?

Just when i read this is reminds me of the hockey league from Slapshot 2, sounds really neat though....

Also, do u mean like this fall, or fall of 2005? Because that would be great to watch if there is a lockout :)

The XIHL is a AAA, semipro league so it won't be playing out of stadiums or arenas. We have very high standards in regards to the type of facility teams in this league will be playing out of, but we're talking about rinks. I think the best place in NC in Cary.

American Inline Hockey Properties has plans to develop a true "Pro" league that would play out of mid-sized arenas. This would be a summer league and we're looking at 2006 at least for this league to get going.

The XIHL will be playing this fall (2004) with a series of festival events (mini-tournaments). In the fall of 2005, the full league season would start where teams would play single games either at their home rink or away like a traditional geogrpahic-based sports league. There may be a festival event this fall in NC, but I'm not sure yet. The best thing is to go the xihl web site and sign-up for the Newsletter.

Thanks for your interest!

Good news, man I am getting exited hopefully some of us will make it into one of those leages one day. I am looking forward to see how this unravels.

Good luck, Fred.

Would this league be televised, cause that would be awsome. Unless you mentioned something about that before and i didnt read it.

It's a bit early in the process to have a TV contract. I'm sure a "Game of the Week" thing on ESPN2 or Fox Sportsnet where the league buys time and collects the ad revenue might work. Generally the sponsors would foot a chunk of the bill for that. The only knock I have is the whole "Extreme" thing jumped the shark a while ago. I certainly wish you guys luck though.

From what i have heard this league hasen't even been established yet.(i could be wrong) There are just making preperations for it. I wouldnt get your hopes up to hight yet, there seems to be a lot of controversy over it. And if any new league hopes to go somewhere and to further the advancement of our sport there needs to be the whole roller hockey community behind it, not just half of it.

Almost everyone in the inline/roller business shares a similar dream..to see a true professional inline league established ..a place for players who prefer inline to ice to go with their sport.

This latest incarnation is being promoted by individuals who do have experience in the business, and a love for the sport, but that said..I still have a big problem with the use of the word "extreme" in connection with their version of the sport.

"Extreme" and the "X-Games" have a very specific context to the viewers and participants, and any hockey game that labels itself as "extreme" and doesn't have players doing 360's and a somersault off a grind down the board lip to get past the defensemen and their maces, shields and spiked helmets, may not hold the attention of the younger audience too long.

Players, team owners, league official(s), and referees worked long and hard to keep the "pure goon" stuff out of MLRH(full contact inline..purportedly to be replaced by the XIHL version of the sport) in it's last year, while promoting a good, tough, well played and exciting version of a physical game. For the most part they did so successfully....and almost all who played in the league last year or watched the games would probably concur with this view of it.

Now by replacing the MLRH handle with the new (X) title, different expectations are immediately created and I am sure if the players aren't seen doing 720's off the videotron, then the audience will want their pound of flesh some other way.

It's unfortunate that a market analyses does not seem to have been done before announcing this name, as I firmly believe that the readers in here and in other inline hockey forums will agree with my first impressions of any league using "extreme' as part of their handle. I understand as well that many good administrative changes are being solidified in this new version of full contact inline hockey, which will improve the league for the players, the owners and the fans. I just do not understand why the original name could not have been maintained along with some of the familiarity with the game associated with the name. I am aware that there were some legal issues with the continued use of this name, but I also believe that with perseverence these could have been overcome to the satisfaction of all the parties involved.

It's not too late.....

It's unfortunate that a market analyses does not seem to have been done before announcing this name, as I firmly believe that the readers in here and in other inline hockey forums will agree with my first impressions of any league using "extreme' as part of their handle.

It's not too late.....

I agree 10,000%. Granted it's just a name, but very few will give the league a chance with the cliche'd "eXtreme" in the title.

Why not just call it what it is: Elite Inline Hockey League?

eXtreme puts the first nail in the coffin, even before the first game...

NO TRICK. HARTFORD FANS TO BE TREATED TO SOME EXTREME INLINE HOCKEY ACTION

New “Pro-Style†Inline Hockey League Starts Season in Hartford Area

The eXtreme Inline Hockey League (XIHL) is ready to roll with it's first regular season games ever. The Hartford Thunder and the Z-Rink, located in Glastonbury, CT, plays host to the XIHL's opening Festival Weekend. Due to scheduling difficulties, the Hartford Festival will only consist of two teams, the Hartford Thunder and the New Jersey Werewolves, playing one weekend double-header. The weekend schedule is as follows with both games being played at the Z-Rink:

Sat. 10/30 @ 7:30PM: New Jersey Werewolves vs Hartford Thunder

Sun. 10/31 @ 11:00AM: Hartford Thunder vs New Jersey Werewolves

Coming off a successful exhibition event in Sacramento a few weeks ago, XIHL officials are confident that the electricity from that event will carry over to the regular season. Hartford and New Jersey are two of the strongest teams in the six-team league and fans can count on experiencing eXtreme Inline Hockey at it's best with two high-scoring, hard-hitting games.

The Hartford Thunder will be playing their first game of the season in the new "pro-style" inline hockey league, but they're not short on experience. The Hartford roster features a number of up-and-coming stars that fans should keep an eye on. Long-time Thunder Captain, Anthony Giusto keeps his team focused on their ultimate goal while playing a solid two-way game. Thunder forward, Jason "Rat" Salvato, a former member of the United Hockey League's Danbury Trashers, leads the offensive attack and fans can usually find him camped-out in front of the opposing team's net, when he's not introducing a member of the visiting team into the boards. Anchoring the Thunder defensive corps, along with Giusto, is John Luszcz. Both Luszcz and Giusto shared blueline duties while playing college ice hockey at Division I UMass.

The Thunder better hope there's not a full moon this Halloween weekend because the New Jersey Werewolves have already tasted blood this season and will be looking for more. The Werewolves are an experienced team in their own right featuring some of the best inline hockey players in the country. The team is deep at the forward position with such stand-out players as Bill Katinsky, Simon Egan, Jason Allen and Dale Sona. The 'Wolves backline is rock-solid with Brian Trohalides and Vinny Comitto shutting down opposing players. Backstopping New Jersey is the goaltending tandem of Matt Cavender and Joe Daloisio.

The Hartford Thunder, as host of this weekend's XIHL Festival, will be having a number of giveaways, raffles and promotional events tied into the games. Tickets for each game is $5.00. Kids under 6 get in free and any kid that shows up for either game in a costume also gets in free. Tickets can be purchased at the gate on the day of the games. The Z-Rink is located at 259 Eastern Boulevard in Glastonbury, CT. For more information on the XIHL, visit the league's web site at xxx.xihl.com, or contact the league's Marketing and Public Relations Director, Benny Gulakiw, at benny@xihl.com.

MDE3 hit the nail right on the head, I completely agree with what he said.

I'm really not liking the whole "Xtreme" thing, when I first saw the name it totally turned me off from the league. I don't play roller hockey but I do know that most if not all RH players want to get away from the whole X-Games eXtreme image that has surrounded the RH community for a countless number of years.

Why not replace the "eXtreme" part of the name with words like National, American, North American, Continental, etc.? eXtreme is a huge turnoff.

Why did the XFL bomb so badly? Because everyone was expecting a very "extreme" product on the field but when they actually tuned in to watch they got real football and nothing extreme, which resulted in the beginning of the end of the XFL.

Press Release from XIHL:

benny@xihl.com

NEWS RELEASE

For Immediate Release: November 3, 2004

EXTREME INLINE HOCKEY LEAGUE OPENS WITH A PAIR

League Wins the Pot with Two Outstanding Games

The eXtreme Inline Hockey League (XIHL), North America’s newest and best semi-pro roller hockey league, opened their regular season in Glastonbury, CT this past weekend, October 30 & 31, with two of the league’s top teams facing off with a pair of games. The New Jersey Werewolves traveled to the Z-Rink to take on the host team, Hartford Thunder. The teams split their two games but the fans were the real winners as they were treated to some exciting inline hockey action.

Hartford Thunder forward, Jason Salvato, led the host team to a 5-4 victory over the Werewolves in the opening game of the weekend with three goals. Salvato’s second goal tied the game at 4:03 of the fourth quarter. Less than two minutes later, Salvato scored the game winner completing his hat trick. Hartford Thunder goalie, Andy Pettola, who shut-out the Werewolves in the fourth quarter, came on at the beginning of the period in relief of Hartford’s starting goalie, Mike Perry. Perry suffered a concussion as a result of an inadvertent knee to the head. Perry and Pettola combined to stop 20 of 24 Werewolves shots while New Jersey goalie, Joe D’Aloisio stopped 23 of 28 Hartford shots.

The New Jersey Werewolves were hungry for retribution and fans attending the Sunday matinee re-match witnessed the level of bad blood that was quickly escalating between the two teams. The Halloween Spooktacular was a rough-and-tumble affair as the teams combined for 40 minutes in penalties, including a number for slashing, roughing and cross-checking. The ‘Wolves skated to a 10-8 victory and split in the weekend series in a game that wasn’t as close as the score indicated. New Jersey jumped out to an early 4-0 and never looked back. Leading the way for New Jersey was Sonny Kim (2G, 3A), Justin Guzman (2G, 2A) and Brian Trohalides (3G).

Next up for the XIHL is the New Jersey Werewolves Festival weekend scheduled for November 13 & 14 at the Extremes Indoor Sports Center located in Bridgewater, NJ. Fans of elite inline hockey who missed all of the action in Hartford should circle these dates on their calendar. Four games are on tap for this event and four of the best inline hockey teams in North America are scheduled to do battle in what is sure to be the most exciting inline hockey of the year.

Opening the Festival at 5:30 PM on Saturday, November 13 is the Marple Gladiators as they take on the battle-tested Hartford Thunder. The second game of the Saturday double-header, scheduled for 8:00 PM, will see the host New Jersey Werewolves skate against the ever dangerous Garden State Ottakringer. On Sunday, November 14, the early matinee features Hartford facing-off against the Ottakringer at 11:00 AM, while the ‘Wolves and Gladiators close out the weekend at 1:30 PM. For more information about the New Jersey Werewolves Festival, contact the Brian Trohalides at brian@njwerewolves.com or contact the XIHL’s Marketing and Public Relations Director, Benny Gulakiw at benny@xihl.com.

- 30 -

Press Release from XIHL:

benny@xihl.com

NEWS RELEASE

For Immediate Release: November 11, 2004

EXTREME INLINE HOCKEY LEAGUE ANNOUNCES CASH PRIZE

$2,500 Goes to Championship Team

The eXtreme Inline Hockey League (XIHL), North America’s newest and best semi-pro roller hockey league, is pleased to announce a $2,500 cash prize to be awarded to the league’s 2004 Championship team. The XIHL is a full-contact, elite inline hockey league featuring the best roller hockey players in North America. The league’s inaugural season consists of 6 Festival weekends being staged between the end of October and the end of December. Each weekend features four teams playing two games each over the two days. The season culminates with a Championship series scheduled for January 21 & 22, 2005 at a location to be announced.

The XIHL is currently accepting bids to host the inaugural Championship Weekend. Any facility, including those which currently are hosting XIHL Festival Weekends are open to submit a bid to host the Championship games. Anyone interested in getting more information on the bid criteria can contact the league’s Commissioner, Steve Seeger at steve@xihl.com

Game results:

Day 1:

Marple Gladiators 8, Connecticutt Thunder 4

New Jersey Werewolves 9, Garden State Ottakringer 4

Day 2:

Connecticutt Thunder 10, Garden State Ottakringer 2

New Jersey Werewolves 10, Marple Gladiators 3

Press Release from XIHL:

benny@xihl.com

NEWS RELEASE

For Immediate Release: November 18, 2004

EXTREME INLINE HOCKEY LEAGUE NEWS & NOTES

Recap of Werewolves Festival – Preview of Gladiators Festival

XIHL PUTS SECOND FESTIVAL WEEKEND IN THE BANK

New Jersey Werewolves Become Leader of the Pack

The eXtreme Inline Hockey League (XIHL) completed their second Festival Weekend held this past weekend November 13/14 at Extremes Indoor Sports Center in Bridgewater, NJ. The host team, the New Jersey Werewolves, solidified their hold on the top spot in the league standings winning both of their games in easy fashion.

The Marple Gladiators played their first XIHL game ever as they opened up the Festival against the Hartford Thunder. The teams battled back and fourth throughout the first two quarters with the Thunder leading 4-3 at the half. The Gladiators, bringing their winning mystique with them into the new league, shut down the Thunder in the second half and reeled off five unanswered goals cruising to an 8- 4 win. The prime-time match-up saw the Werewolves take on the Garden State Ottakringer. This one was all ‘Wolves as they clawed the elephants on their way to 9-4 victory before a crowd of over 200. New Jersey displayed a balanced attack as seven different players were able to find the back of the net.

Day two of the Werewolves Festival Weekend started out with the Ottakringer and the Thunder getting to know each other. The Elephants must have been busy licking their wounds from the thrashing the Werewolves gave them the night before because the Thunder had an easy time skating to an 11-2 win. Hartford put on a clinic scoring 9 of their 11 goals in the first three periods before the pachyderms finally woke up and got two by Thunder goalie, Edgar Faria in the fourth. The final game of the Weekend was the most anticipated with New Jersey lining up against the Marple Gladiators. This game proved to be somewhat anti-climatic as the Werewolves spent the first two quarters putting the Gladiators into a 6-0 hole. Marple pulled themselves up off the canvas and cut the ‘Wolves lead in half in the third quarter scoring three goals. New Jersey would have none of that as they out-scored the Gladiators 5-0 in the fourth on their way to a 10-3 win. For complete scores, stats and standings, visit the leagues web site at www.xihl.com.

XIHL ENTERS THE ARENA WITH THE GLADIATORS

Marple Hosts XIHL Third Regular Season Weekend Festival

The Marple Gladiators, one of roller hockey’s most preeminent teams, is on tap to host the third XIHL regular season Weekend Festival. Games are scheduled for November 20 & 21 at the Marple Sports Arena located in Broomall, PA. The South Jersey Cougars and the Philadelphia Sting are set to make their XIHL debuts while the Gladiators and the Hartford Thunder will look to make up ground on the first place New Jersey Werewolves who are sitting this one out along with the Garden State Ottakringer. The Marple Gladiators Festival Weekend schedule is as follows:

Saturday, November 20

5:30 PM - Hartford Thunder vs South Jersey Cougars

8:00 PM – Marple Gladiators vs Philadelphia Sting

Sunday, November 21

10:00 AM – Philadelphia Sting vs Hartford Thunder

1:30 PM - Marple Gladiators vs South Jersey Cougars

For more information on attending the Marple Gladiators Festival Weekend, contact CJ Yoder at info@marplesportsarena.com or contact the XIHL’s Marketing and Public Relations Director, Benny Gulakiw at benny@xihl.com.

- 30 -

Press Release from XIHL:

benny@xihl.com

NEWS RELEASE

For Immediate Release: November 20, 2004

EXTREME INLINE HOCKEY LEAGUE SUSPENDS TEAM

South Jersey Cougars Ineligible to Participate for Remainder of Season

The eXtreme Inline Hockey League (XIHL) announced today that one of it’s founding members, the South Jersey Cougars, have been suspended for the remainder of the inaugural 2004 season. The suspension is effective immediately and will impact upon this weekend’s Festival scheduled to take place at the Marple Sports Arena where the Cougars were to participate. The XIHL is in discussion with a team to take the Cougars place for the rest of the season. However, due to a scheduling conflict, the team is unable to take part in this weekend’s Marple Festival. The XIHL will announce who the replacement team is when all the final details have been agreed upon, which should be sometime over the upcoming weekend.

In announcing the suspension of one of the league’s original founding members, XIHL Commissioner, Steve Seeger, comments, “It’s with great consternation that we have been forced to take this action. Each of our original six teams agreed to meet all of our rules, regulations and requirements to participate in what we expect to be the best roller hockey league on the planet. However, when any of our members fails to meet their obligations, we will take the appropriate action regardless if it might be seen as a temporary setback for the entire league.â€

The XIHL has received numerous applications for membership in the league; representing markets from across North America. Several prospective teams expressed interest in participating in the league’s inaugural season, but chose to postpone their entrance until 2005, when the XIHL is scheduled to begin it’s first full season, so they would have more time to prepare and operate at the highest level possible. The league chose six teams which initially met all the requirements the league established in order to set the foundation for the future.

The Cougars, a newly formed team, were scheduled to host the final XIHL regular season Festival Weekend on December 18 & 19 at Skater’s Choice arena located in Sewell, NJ, the home of the Cougars Roller Hockey League. Although the Cougars are being suspended for the remainder of the 2004 season, the organization will need to meet a number of additional requirements in order to be considered for reinstatement into the league. For more information about the XIHL, contact the league’s Marketing & Public Relations Director, Benny Gulakiw, at benny@xihl.com.

- 30 -

This league is NOT a complete joke...in fact they provide a venue for some excellent inline hockey, but, like anyone else who is trying to start up a high end league, there are some problems...I am sure with time and dedication they will overcome these....