Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chris

What do you always bring to the rink?

Hey everybody I'm just starting out playing ice hockey and I'll be driving 2.5 hours to and from the rink...I know pretty long drive just to play...but its something I've always wanted to do. Anyway being that I'll be driving that far I wanna make sure that once I'm there I wont have to sit out because something broke or I didn't have something and I can't just run home to get it...So what are some things that you always bring to the rink, equipment, tools, etc. Thanks for the help.

Chris

I second the laces.

Helmet screws are a must. And I always bring $3 spare incase I need another drink or something from the vending machines. I don't care if someone steals $3 from me. I do hide it however ^.^.

Wallet stays in the car, always. I don't care if the room gets locked.

And a small bottle of Aleve, but I've been arthritic my whole life so it might be a little different -_-

Make sure I have tape - stick and sock

Towel and Shampoo/soap, also sandals for the shower

Set of clean underwear and socks for after the game... the wet, sweaty ones just don't do it for me

LACES!!!

I also have a little container with some advil, but I tend to get headaches.

If you are going to just play a pick up game, bringing both a dark and light colored jersey is usually a good idea as well

WATER BOTTLEVery Very Important!

I just happend to break a pair of laces tonight before going on the ice. I didn't happen to have a spare pair with me and had to tie a not in them. Not the easiest thing for it to stay done up. Definetly recommend laces. Wet towels are definetly not the nicest thing, also a bag with goodies as mentioned before, screwdriver, screws, laces.

An extra pair of skate socks.

I don't know how many bloody times I've put a nice, dry pair of liner socks on only to step into a puddle.

Make sure you have two sticks, you probably do already but there is nothing worse than breaking a stick and having to use someone else's stick , it is always too tall or too short or too stiff and so on...

extra cup/jock - VERY important piece of equipment that can't really borrow from someone else and can't always be found at the proshop.

I also pack an emergency pair of skate socks since I can't wear normal socks with my skates and bare foot gives me blisters.

tape, screwdriver, laces, extra stick, dry clothes for when your done playing. I live 20 mins away from the rink which is not as bad as 2 1/2 hours but I was called to fill in once and had to rush there to make it for game time forgot an extra shirt and it was the winter it was just gross driving home.

Stick tape

Sock tape

Hand stone

Water bottle

Laces

Hand sanitizer (in case of cuts)

Hand sanitizer in case of cuts? If you mean so they won't get infected inside your gloves, you need not worry. The odor causing bacteria in your gloves are typical resident bacteria found everywhere on your skin and 99% of the time won't invade and cause infection in an open wound unless you are immunocompromised.

Stick tape

Sock tape

Hand stone

Water bottle

Laces

Hand sanitizer (in case of cuts)

Hand sanitizer in case of cuts? If you mean so they won't get infected inside your gloves, you need not worry. The odor causing bacteria in your gloves are typical resident bacteria found everywhere on your skin and 99% of the time won't invade and cause infection in an open wound unless you are immunocompromised.

There have been cases of staph infections that were life threatening. The names escape me, but there have been a few NHL'ers that nearly gave up the ghost over cuts that got infected.

I always take 4 pairs of fresh socks. I wear 2 pair and you never know when someone will need a pair.

I've also made a habit of packing my bag the same way everytime. That little routine has helped in making sure nothing gets left behind. Nothing worse than getting to the rink with one glove or one shin guard. Well, leaving a glove or shin guard at the rink sucks, too.

Cloth tape(black and white). Obviously, you can use it for your sticks and socks if you have to but hockey tape is good for cuts too... I've proved that a couple times.

Honing stone.

Laces.

Screw drivers and helmet hardware.

sex wax(incase there's some puckbunnies around). kidding, but seriously, wax.

wow, some of you guys bring an entire hockey shop with you. When I'm playing on my college team, we have all that stuff there, the team buys it for us. laces, tape, soap, towals etc. All my crap is already in a locker and chillin. All I ever bring is three t-shirts and three pairs of socks(fresh one for each period)or just one T and pair o socks for practice. And when I go play open and fool around I go to the rink thats exactly an 8 min drive away.

Yep, it was just a reaction to the bad staph infections that were going around a few months ago. I figured better safe than sorry.

i go with my equipment :) two sticks, clear tape, wax, contact lens solution, a towel, a miracle stone, and water and sports dirnk for game, aminos and vitargo + electrolytes post game.

i dont really prepare for things failing.

Cloth tape(black and white). Obviously, you can use it for your sticks and socks if you have to but hockey tape is good for cuts too... I've proved that a couple times.

True that, I've run many a laces over a hangnail and it's the worst. The pate has come in quite handy.

I usually keep majority of the stuff mentioned, tape (stick, and clear for shins), laces, extra shin pad straps, helmet screws, screwdriver, Oakley cleaner, scratch free cloth, a towel (or 2), a small pair of medical scissors, extra insoles (Yes, I've forgotten to put insoles back after drying, they came in very handy), and I even keep a spare car key in my bag... unbeknownst -I dropped my keys in my trunk once while pulling my bag out.

scissors scissors scissors. i don't know how only one person said it so far. around here everyone does the i-have-a-round-toe-but-i-tape-it-like-a-square-toe-and-then-cut-off-the-corners-so-it-looks-like-im-in-the-show trick when they tape their sticks.

clear tape, hockey tape, mouth guard, laces, foot bed and heavy pucks...

i dont really prepare for things failing.

failing to plan is a plan to fail...

eh, i have teammates.

scissors scissors scissors. i don't know how only one person said it so far. around here everyone does the i-have-a-round-toe-but-i-tape-it-like-a-square-toe-and-then-cut-off-the-corners-so-it-looks-like-im-in-the-show trick when they tape their sticks.

yep.. I also keep a few tealight candles in the bag to wax the stick with. I'll borrow someone's lighter if needed- I don't go that crazy. I do have the gianormous Shock Doctor bag though... so space isn't an issue.