Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

masterpeice_patrice

pick up hockey (shinny) pet peeves

I'm not sure if I'm repeating myself from five years ago, but I hate when people suggest that gray or yellow are on the white team. Invariably. they either get passed to when they shouldn't, or not passed to when they should, so just use those jerseys as cleaning rags and everyone will be happy.

Probably the biggest pet peeve for me is guys not calling out their position as they come to the bench, become the flow becomes very scattered on the ice. I play with two groups during the week. One tends to be a much higher level, with guys calling out positions and roughly staying in them. With the second group, I always have to guess where the exiting player was positioned. Too often, I find myself one of three defensemen or four forwards, and there tend to be too many two-on-ones because everyone is assuming someone else is playing D.

I understand many of us prefer to play forward but, geez, it's only one shift. Play D, call off "Left D" as you exit, and hope you get "Center" when you go back on.

I agree, anything darker than white is on the dark team, and both grey and yellow are darker than white.

I've just realized most of my peeves center around jerseys, damn I'm superficial ;)

I have a couple of jerseys that I wear, OHL & IHL. I like them & don't really give a shit what people think of me wearing them.

I do agree that grey jerseys suck on the white team though.

The only pet peeve I have with jerseys is the guy who has a pro jersey with a retired number and his name on the back. If you have a retro Oiler jersey with the 99 on the back it should say Gretzky, not your name.

A major pet peeve of mine, in all sports and in video games. Absolutely bugs the crap out of me to play NHL 10 and go up against Boston led by #4, Vincent LeCavalier. I always bug my roommates about that stuff, playing as the red wings with guys wearing 9 or 10. for that matter I'm not a fan of custom jerseys with your own last name on them period.

Hey, all my player gear is red - I just stole it from my brother when he quit! :)

I have no problem with it, it just amuses me. What I do have a problem with is the guy with pro stock rangers gloves, red pants, blue helmet, rangers Avery jersey, who slashes and pokes and shoves and trips guys all game like his favorite player Sean Avery. Barely skates, doesn't even make an effort to handle the puck, just likes to piss people off and grin while we wish he would just get the hell out. Yeah, what Avery does for the Rangers helps them win (sometimes) but this is pickup hockey, slew footing guys like that is BS.

The only pet peeve I have with jerseys is the guy who has a pro jersey with a retired number and his name on the back. If you have a retro Oiler jersey with the 99 on the back it should say Gretzky, not your name.

A major pet peeve of mine, in all sports and in video games. Absolutely bugs the crap out of me to play NHL 10 and go up against Boston led by #4, Vincent LeCavalier. I always bug my roommates about that stuff, playing as the red wings with guys wearing 9 or 10. for that matter I'm not a fan of custom jerseys with your own last name on them period.

I agree... AS you can tell by my name. My favorite number is 19, but if I create a player and I am putting him on the Wings, I opt for 86. Most certainly not 19.

One of my pet peeves is when someone shadows you at pick-up. I have no problem with people playing defense, but it's kind of annoying when someone hovers right next to you the whole time you're out there. It doesn't bother me enough to yell at someone, but I'm groaning pretty loud in my head.

lol i have that problem with pickup ball hockey in a gym with some friends and their friends, seriously it's ball hockey!

I agree, anything darker than white is on the dark team, and both grey and yellow are darker than white.

I've just realized most of my peeves center around jerseys, damn I'm superficial ;)

Amen. Red on the white team bugs me even more.

Bring a farking white jersey. If you don't, you can have 20 guys on the dark bench. Have fun with your 3 minutes of ice time, but white and maybe yellow. Gray no, orange no, red, hell no.

Really, is it that hard to carry two jerseys rather then one gray? You're 'man' enough to insist that everyone carry their bag, but too weak to carry the extra 6 ounces?

Chatter about what other guys should do by a guy who can't skate well enough to take two strides with the puck.

Please air out your equipment at least occasionally.

Bring a farking white jersey. If you don't, you can have 20 guys on the dark bench. Have fun with your 3 minutes of ice time, but white and maybe yellow. Gray no, orange no, red, hell no.

Really, is it that hard to carry two jerseys rather then one gray? You're 'man' enough to insist that everyone carry their bag, but too weak to carry the extra 6 ounces?

We have a team in the local beer league that has powder blue jerseys. (They don't have a second jersey.)

Whenever we play them it's a 15 minute debate on whether we should wear white or dark; we actually had one guy get temporarily tossed from our last game because he was wearing a dark blue jersey with powder blue shoulders and the other team complained they were getting confused. I don't know why they couldn't have gone with a color that's either definitely light or definitely dark; those in-between colors are just a pain.

We have a team in the local beer league that has powder blue jerseys. (They don't have a second jersey.)

Whenever we play them it's a 15 minute debate on whether we should wear white or dark; we actually had one guy get temporarily tossed from our last game because he was wearing a dark blue jersey with powder blue shoulders and the other team complained they were getting confused. I don't know why they couldn't have gone with a color that's either definitely light or definitely dark; those in-between colors are just a pain.

We went with a light blue jersey simply because they don't conflict with anything from the other teams in our league. Ours have minimal navy and gold accents and we have yet to have a problem with teams in our league that have navy/white, purple, black, purple/white or white jerseys. As long as everyone has the same jersey it isn't that bad. The problems really creep in when you have non-matching jerseys in league play. That said, leagues are different than pickup. Bring a black and a white and wear one of them for pickup.

Our jerseys are green and cream. we are the only team in the league with green, so there's never confusion. thats why we picked it.

we have the west all-star jersey from 04. the ones that look like the new Wild 3rd.

We play against a team that has the exact same jersey colors as ours, except for the logo. When we wear white, they wear dark, and vice-versa. It's still very confusing to me. Picture Bruins against Bruins, bright yellow somewhere on everybody.

We play against a team that has the exact same jersey colors as ours, except for the logo. When we wear white, they wear dark, and vice-versa. It's still very confusing to me. Picture Bruins against Bruins, bright yellow somewhere on everybody.

That's why we went with these. Very little chance of that happening.

http://modsquadhockey.com/pics/chadd/100_1377.jpg

If you play in a league that requires every team get a jersey (or where they do, even if they don't have to), then yeah, it wouldn't be a problem. But our league re-drafts every season (3x/year), and most teams don't buy jerseys every season. Some teams reuse them season to season, but most don't, so there's usually 2-3 teams with team jerseys and 3-4 that are using a mishmash (as long as the base color is the same). Buying a powder blue jersey in that situation just seems like asking for trouble, same as buying yellow ones would (since yellow/gold are pretty common accent colors).

:shrug: It's not a big deal, just a minor irritant, and obviously in pick-up it's a heck of a lot easier if everyone brings a white and a black or navy or other very dark color. :)

At one point 3 of the 8 teams in our league were wearing Black/White/Gold

Very confusing. Especially for our goalie that brought the wrong Jersey one night..

If you play in a league that requires every team get a jersey (or where they do, even if they don't have to), then yeah, it wouldn't be a problem. But our league re-drafts every season (3x/year), and most teams don't buy jerseys every season. Some teams reuse them season to season, but most don't, so there's usually 2-3 teams with team jerseys and 3-4 that are using a mishmash (as long as the base color is the same). Buying a powder blue jersey in that situation just seems like asking for trouble, same as buying yellow ones would (since yellow/gold are pretty common accent colors).

:shrug: It's not a big deal, just a minor irritant, and obviously in pick-up it's a heck of a lot easier if everyone brings a white and a black or navy or other very dark color. :)

If a rink is doing a draft league, they should be supplying jerseys. A bulk order of practice jerseys would add less than $20 to the per person cost and eliminate those problems.

I'm not sure if I'm repeating myself from five years ago, but I hate when people suggest that gray or yellow are on the white team. Invariably. they either get passed to when they shouldn't, or not passed to when they should, so just use those jerseys as cleaning rags and everyone will be happy.
I do agree that grey jerseys suck on the white team though.

Who knows, maybe I'm getting softer in my old age.

I was wearing white at pickup this morning. We had seven on our side, while they had eight, but one of ours turned 75 last week, so his shifts aren't too long! After an hour and fifteen minutes, we all were tired, yet one of our guys left. With our older player taking more frequent breaks at this point, I probably was out for about five minutes when I noticed we had two on our bench. It turned out that one of their players switched sides and put on a gray jersey.

As I finally was able to take a breather, I thought, "Well, maybe I'm being too harsh on those players who wear gray jerseys....."

We went with a light blue jersey simply because they don't conflict with anything from the other teams in our league. Ours have minimal navy and gold accents and we have yet to have a problem with teams in our league that have navy/white, purple, black, purple/white or white jerseys. As long as everyone has the same jersey it isn't that bad. The problems really creep in when you have non-matching jerseys in league play. That said, leagues are different than pickup. Bring a black and a white and wear one of them for pickup.

Leagues are indeed a different animal. I saw those in the other thread, they look great. In a league, as long as the team matches, you're fine.

I don't even insist on a white and a black. Just that the whites stick to white and colors stick to colors. Red is a color. Gray is a color. None of that "it can be used either way" crap. If you wanted to change the standard universally where every pickup would involve a red team and a blue team, I would be ranting about the idiots who bring purple, but not the ones who bring baby blue, pink or burgundy.

How about the dill holes who wear a white jersey w/the blue shoulders? That always throws me off in pick up, especially when it is a little shit who is always hunched over

How about the dill holes who wear a white jersey w/the blue shoulders? That always throws me off in pick up, especially when it is a little shit who is always hunched over

There was a team that dis that in one of our leagues. It was the old USA Hockey style and it clashed with everything other than a bright color.

when i used to go this drop in, there was always a guy who was mad at everyone. whoever couldn't receive a pass, didn't connect with a one timer, flubbed a breakaway, he would freak out. i mean drop ins are a way to improve your skill...i don't see the reason to get so serious.