Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

masterpeice_patrice

pick up hockey (shinny) pet peeves

If a rink is doing a draft league, they should be supplying jerseys. A bulk order of practice jerseys would add less than $20 to the per person cost and eliminate those problems.

I've said that a couple of times, but there's a surprising amount of resistance -- from the players. As I understand it, originally the league did mandate matching jerseys (initially they required you to buy specific home & away jerseys -- nice ones, $150 a set, so I think some of the resistance is coming from that, although since you could use the same jerseys for multiple seasons the cost isn't really that bad).

A lot of guys are really wedded to the idea of using either their favorite jerseys or getting new team jerseys every season or two. My take is that I have enough jerseys already, I don't want any more. :P A league-provided jersey would be fine with me, but I know a lot of guys complain about sizes, numbers, colors, etc if they don't get to buy exactly what they want.

Maybe we're just too fashion-conscious here in Austin. ;)

when i used to go this drop in, there was always a guy who was mad at everyone. whoever couldn't receive a pass, didn't connect with a one timer, flubbed a breakaway, he would freak out. i mean drop ins are a way to improve your skill...i don't see the reason to get so serious.

Was his name Norm? I think I know that guy :lol: He always kept score at drop-in, too.

whats the difference between open hockey/pickup/drop-in/shinny? is it all the same, just different names for it?

I'd say those 3 are the same

Shinny however I would be similar to pond hockey... or at least thats how I see it

We have "Open Hockey" here in Minnesota. Typically this occurs over the lunch hour at indoor rinks. They last anywhere from 1 hour 15 minutes to 2 hours. Cost is $5 or $6. It is typically whites versus darks except them damn yellows and grays. haha

Seriously though some rinks are known for high level of skill and others are definitely more recreational. The level of play at all rinks fluctuates depending on the time of year. For instance over the winter holidays the skill/speed goes WAY up when college players return to see family. We even see NHLers both current and past on the ice. The higher skill level rinks mostly have guys that played some level of advanced hockey college, juniors or pro.

I consider Shinny/drop in/pick up something that occurs at outdoor rinks or ponds.

By this definition there is very little that could cause me to be peeved at the shinny/drop in/pick up hockey. Outdoor is just gods gift to hockey players.

Where do all these people get time to play hockey during the lunch hour? I know in the past Parade Ice Garden and Minnetonka had lunch hour open hockey and so did Woodbury. I've played at all three

Where do all these people get time to play hockey during the lunch hour? I know in the past Parade Ice Garden and Minnetonka had lunch hour open hockey and so did Woodbury. I've played at all three

It is hockey, sometimes a mans got to do what a mans got to do.

Boy reading this thread for an hour made me glad I play in a league. Open hockey was a disaster for me since I didn't play at a high level when I was younger so I couldn't take 5-10 minute shifts and everyone would glare at me when the shinny Gretzky scored on us.

Where I play score is kept and season long record as well, have for 20+ years. Also line shifts every minute a half. It is a higher level play than many others

What bothers you guys more:

Players who always try to pass the puck but almost constantly turns it over?

or

Players who hog the puck and ocasionally score?

Puck hogs are worse. Atleast with the guy who turns it over there's a chance to get it back, and you still get to skate. The puck hog guy just goes end-to-end, only to put it into the goalies chest. You just get to watch him skate, and then play defense. It sucks, especially if he gets the puck back first.

There's always that guy who takes it super seriously and is always getting mad at himself despite not being very good. Its like there are nhl scouts at drop-in or something....

I will agree as well. At least the guy who turns the puck over understands that you need to get other people involved in order to be successful in this game.

Puck hogs are worse. Atleast with the guy who turns it over there's a chance to get it back, and you still get to skate. The puck hog guy just goes end-to-end, only to put it into the goalies chest. You just get to watch him skate, and then play defense. It sucks, especially if he gets the puck back first.

Yep, this is my pet peeve. I'm all for everyone having a good time, no matter how good or bad they may be. Puck hogs, on the other hand, have absolutely no place in pick up games, IMO. I have this one kid in my pickup league and if he wasn't the son of the people running it, he would have been put into the boards long ago...Every time he gets the puck it turn in to 1 on 5. The other team pretty much just jumps on him as soon as he takes possession and the rest of us just stand around watching. It's beyond ridiculous.

Yep, this is my pet peeve. I'm all for everyone having a good time, no matter how good or bad they may be. Puck hogs, on the other hand, have absolutely no place in pick up games, IMO. I have this one kid in my pickup league and if he wasn't the son of the people running it, he would have been put into the boards long ago...Every time he gets the puck it turn in to 1 on 5. The other team pretty much just jumps on him as soon as he takes possession and the rest of us just stand around watching. It's beyond ridiculous.

I always look for someone to pass to but sometimes when I'm in traffic my head goes down while I try to find open ice & I can't see who's open. Bad habit, yes. I'm working on keeping my head up all the time. I hope the guys don't think I'm a hog. :lol:

i know its not pick up, but i hate when im at a skate and shoot and people are asses.

I know it wasnt a big deal, but last time i went, a guys stray puck went a few feet away from me, so rather than making him skate down the ice and get it, i simply passed him mine. before i had the chance to turn around and just use his puck, he just kind of hit my puck back over to me and went and got his. The way he went about this was rude. I dont understand why he was so anal about using his own puck that he brought. I was trying to be nice, but needless to day, after he was a jerk about that, i didn't touch his puck the rest of skate and shoot.

at pick up hockey i hate when people take really long shifts. our league charged $18 last season for pick up no matter how many people showed up. A lot of people came the night i went and it was annoying that some people tried to play the whole game, when we all payed $18 to be there.

at pick up hockey i hate when people take really long shifts. our league charged $18 last season for pick up no matter how many people showed up. A lot of people came the night i went and it was annoying that some people tried to play the whole game, when we all payed $18 to be there.

Most of the guys at our Sunday morning pickup (myself included) are older guys, mid 30's & up, so extended shifts are rarely a problem. :lol:

Most of the guys at our Sunday morning pickup (myself included) are older guys, mid 30's & up, so extended shifts are rarely a problem. :lol:

We've got a couple guys who take long shifts at pickup/shinny. It's a regular group...and every couple months...the guy who runs it will remind everyone in the room to keep shifts quick so everyoen gets their time/money worth...but there are a few who stay out too long. Last week, we had 3 forwards on the bench so every time 1 of the 3 came off...all 3 of us jumped on and just yelled "All 3!". They looked surprised, and even commented "that was a fast change..."...but always came off.

We've got a couple guys who take long shifts at pickup/shinny. It's a regular group...and every couple months...the guy who runs it will remind everyone in the room to keep shifts quick so everyoen gets their time/money worth...but there are a few who stay out too long. Last week, we had 3 forwards on the bench so every time 1 of the 3 came off...all 3 of us jumped on and just yelled "All 3!". They looked surprised, and even commented "that was a fast change..."...but always came off.

Regular groups are the greatest. I've been playing for 10 years with virtually the same guys - everyone has figured out the group etiquitte, and any new guys are generally referred by someone in the group who's responsible for making him fit in. I haven't had to deal with a jackass in years, and every skate has been enjoyable.

Regular groups are the greatest. I've been playing for 10 years with virtually the same guys - everyone has figured out the group etiquitte, and any new guys are generally referred by someone in the group who's responsible for making him fit in. I haven't had to deal with a jackass in years, and every skate has been enjoyable.

Oh, how I envy you...

I loved playing in my uncles game. Hes been running the game for 30 years and he doesn't put up with bull crap anymore. He's not afraid to tell some young hotshot to start playing a team game or find another game to play in. Some get pissed off, but most make it a point to be a playmaker after that.