Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

masterpeice_patrice

pick up hockey (shinny) pet peeves

You meet a lot of self-righteous people in and around the greater Pittsburgh area unfortunately. I don't get where the sense of entitlement comes from, but there is no mistaking the fact that it exists.

Well, at least you admit it.

(Go Flyers :P )

After a game one night the kid's dad offers to take us all out for dinner. We're all college kids, we just played a game, we know he's loaded, so we take the generosity as a peace offering for not having given us any money for a team sponsorship.

That's the part that really disgusts me. How to win friends and influence people, eh? Flaunt your grand worth of sticks while refusing to put a dime behind the team you play for; make a big deal of gestures, invoice later.

Having seen this kind of crap before, I make a prediction. When you cut the kid next year, one of two things will happen: either he'll throw his dad's wallet at the team trying to buy his way back on (in which case you are morally obligated by the hockey gods to soak him for every dime you can), or he'll have a petulant little explosion and you'll absolutely never hear from him again. Either way, you win. :)

I had it happen once when I was a kid playing traveling baseball; kid's dad paid for everything so his kid could play with the team and his friends. Hotel rooms, meals, travel expenses, everything was covered from June to August. September rolls around and every family with a kid(s) on the team gets an itemized list of the expenses their kid ran up over three months, and how they could pay cash, credit, or check to this guy. There was a huge uproar, but when he threatened legal action against everyone, every family found a way to pay him back... Big thing is he never told anyone they'd have to reimburse him.

But, the kid on my college hockey team and his family are real pieces of work. They paid for some of this kid's buddies hockey gear this season because they wanted to play but didn't have the cash for skates, new helmets, etc. They all now owe this kid and his family the cost of the equipment plus interest. He never tells anyone they're going to be expected to pay him back, they make it out to be a donation or gift then when the money is already spent they hand out the bills. It really sucks because we know they can afford to eat some of these expenditures but they never do. No doubt he's gone next year no matter how much he kicks and screams.

You meet a lot of self-righteous people in and around the greater Pittsburgh area unfortunately. I don't get where the sense of entitlement comes from, but there is no mistaking the fact that it exists.

Well, at least you admit it.

(Go Flyers :P )

I wouldn't exactly say eastern PA is devoid of a similar, if not worse, attitude. ;)

I will probably take heat for this but I have issues with guys that where College/NHL jerseys, especially benders. To me it is kind of a code thing, if you earn it you can where it. Otherwise wear it to the game as a fan not on the ice. However, even worse is anyone wearing #99. That number should be off limits IMHO.

I will probably take heat for this but I have issues with guys that where College/NHL jerseys, especially benders. To me it is kind of a code thing, if you earn it you can where it. Otherwise wear it to the game as a fan not on the ice. However, even worse is anyone wearing #99. That number should be off limits IMHO.

I don't have a problem with people wearing the jersey of their favorite team as long as they have a dark one and a white one. Sometimes it's the only jersey someone has that is just starting out.

Which brings me to my next pet peeve... people that feel the need to use terms like, "bender, duster, dusty, flow, steez, pracy, shouldies, bucky, etc." First, you sound like you have slid into the boards head first one too many times. Second, understand that when you call someone a, "bender," or say their equipment is, "dust/dusty," that they may just be starting out in hockey, or unable to afford better equipment. Mind your own game and do not worry about another person's business. I would have to say I've seen more people turned off to trying something new just because people that are already established treat them like crap just because they do not fit it. It's immaturity and idiocy at its highest degree.

After a game one night the kid's dad offers to take us all out for dinner. We're all college kids, we just played a game, we know he's loaded, so we take the generosity as a peace offering for not having given us any money for a team sponsorship.

That's the part that really disgusts me. How to win friends and influence people, eh? Flaunt your grand worth of sticks while refusing to put a dime behind the team you play for; make a big deal of gestures, invoice later.

Having seen this kind of crap before, I make a prediction. When you cut the kid next year, one of two things will happen: either he'll throw his dad's wallet at the team trying to buy his way back on (in which case you are morally obligated by the hockey gods to soak him for every dime you can), or he'll have a petulant little explosion and you'll absolutely never hear from him again. Either way, you win. :)

I had it happen once when I was a kid playing traveling baseball; kid's dad paid for everything so his kid could play with the team and his friends. Hotel rooms, meals, travel expenses, everything was covered from June to August. September rolls around and every family with a kid(s) on the team gets an itemized list of the expenses their kid ran up over three months, and how they could pay cash, credit, or check to this guy. There was a huge uproar, but when he threatened legal action against everyone, every family found a way to pay him back... Big thing is he never told anyone they'd have to reimburse him.

But, the kid on my college hockey team and his family are real pieces of work. They paid for some of this kid's buddies hockey gear this season because they wanted to play but didn't have the cash for skates, new helmets, etc. They all now owe this kid and his family the cost of the equipment plus interest. He never tells anyone they're going to be expected to pay him back, they make it out to be a donation or gift then when the money is already spent they hand out the bills. It really sucks because we know they can afford to eat some of these expenditures but they never do. No doubt he's gone next year no matter how much he kicks and screams.

Christ, that guy is a piece of work... I would recommend going to court, but he would have the resources to just drown you with all sorts of red tape, knowing you can't afford to pay legal fees.

Any lawyer here willing to work pro bono to take care of this scum?

I so hate people like that Joey, I'll PM you shortly. Anyway, a-holes who blast slappers into crowds at shinny. Why the eff do you do this? Yeah, you have a nice slapper, I'm happy. I do too, but I don't go out of my way to be a jackass and make sure everyone sees it.

Christ, that guy is a piece of work... I would recommend going to court, but he would have the resources to just drown you with all sorts of red tape, knowing you can't afford to pay legal fees.

Any lawyer here willing to work pro bono to take care of this scum?

We've just gotten to the point where we know better. Being a very small club a $250+ meal tab really hurt us as an organization, but we have made things work without it. Easiest thing to do at this point is to cut the kid next year, and make sure everyone knows not to let this kid or his family do any, "favors," financially for them.

I so hate people like that Joey, I'll PM you shortly.

haha, thanks for the PM, and I appreciate the advice. As I said above though, we're just going to cut ties with this kid and his family at the end of the season. He can kick and scream all he wants next year, but the truth is he's a terrible player and we can cut him based on his skill level and not just that we've had enough of his crap.

One of my pet peeves for pick up/shinny is guys who take it too seriously. I am not saying that you shouldn't try out there but get a handle on things. You guys know the type. The guy who thinks it's game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals or that the NHL scouts are in the stands. A few weeks ago, I am playing pick up in the morning. I am on a break away skating hard to the net. A guy pushes me from behind I lose my balance and go into the boards feet first. One of my ankles twists as I hit the boards. Two weeks later it is still a little sore. I'm lucky I didn't break it. I hate when this type of BS happens. Apparently, this same guy wanted to drop the gloves with a guy a few weeks prior. Well, my other pet peeve is when the organizers of your pick up game (you know the guy who collects the money) doesn't have the balls to have that courageous conversation and tell a guy that he is not welcome back!

Well, my other pet peeve is when the organizers of your pick up game (you know the guy who collects the money) doesn't have the balls to have that courageous conversation and tell a guy that he is not welcome back!

Or the wherewithal to cut the number of people playing off at a decent number. $10 for two hours is an okay price, but not when there are 40 skaters and 8 goalies. 5 minutes of ice time... I'll pass.

I don't have a problem with people wearing the jersey of their favorite team as long as they have a dark one and a white one. Sometimes it's the only jersey someone has that is just starting out.

Which brings me to my next pet peeve... people that feel the need to use terms like, "bender, duster, dusty, flow, steez, pracy, shouldies, bucky, etc." First, you sound like you have slid into the boards head first one too many times. Second, understand that when you call someone a, "bender," or say their equipment is, "dust/dusty," that they may just be starting out in hockey, or unable to afford better equipment. Mind your own game and do not worry about another person's business. I would have to say I've seen more people turned off to trying something new just because people that are already established treat them like crap just because they do not fit it. It's immaturity and idiocy at its highest degree.

I totally agree with everything in the above post. Allow me to take it even further. All this "chirping" that I read about sort of bewilders me. In all the beer leagues, open hockey, and pickup hockey that I've played in, I've never seen this "chirping". I don't know if it's a cultural thing or what but I live in Montreal which is very French-Canadian, and nobody gives a crap whether you're wearing a tinted visor, colored skate laces, number 99, etc. At worst, you're just ignored. We're just there to have fun. Personally, I'm pretty low-profile in my gear choice, but I couldn't care less what others wear as long as they're team players and don't generally act like jerks. I think chirpers need to get a life.

I'm an adult new to hockey, playing with a great group of guys, but there are a few...

One guy is super intense to the point of being annoying. I play D, if I happen to be paired up w/ him & he doesn't like the way I'm playing my man, he'll chug on over & poach my position. So I'll rotate to cover his spot, the puck will come around annnnnd...there he is again. He's a good player, but he's always out of position because he's too worried about what everyone else is doing, this includes forwards as well.

My biggest peeve is the head high slapshot from the point. WTF?!!? A couple of guys do this...a LOT. I understand you want to over-power everyone with your crazy awesome shot; however, it would be nice if maybe you could put it on net, not my or your teammates f**king head!

Well, my other pet peeve is when the organizers of your pick up game (you know the guy who collects the money) doesn't have the balls to have that courageous conversation and tell a guy that he is not welcome back!

Or the wherewithal to cut the number of people playing off at a decent number. $10 for two hours is an okay price, but not when there are 40 skaters and 8 goalies. 5 minutes of ice time... I'll pass.

Exact reason I stopped going to pick up on saturday nights which is the only time I can go because of school

Exact reason I stopped going to pick up on saturday nights which is the only time I can go because of school

There are two sheets of ice at the certain rink I'm talking about and the other sheet is never being used on Saturday nights when this situation routinely happens. If you want to make the money by having all the people show up, split the attendance in half; one half to either sheet. Obviously you have the numbers to do it, so why not? At some point people will stop going because they are not getting their money's worth out of their pick-up session.

I disagree on the NHL jerseys and the college jerseys, but fully agree on 99. I do get a good laugh out of the guys who have a red helmet, red pants, red gloves, and Red Wings jersey and socks, but a lot of guys just use their souvenir jersey and I don't see anything wrong with that. As for the word "bender" and it's ilk... pretty big pet peeve of mine.

I wear a Chicago Blackhawks jersey when I play pickup. I have my family name and the #54 on the back of it because my older brother was a big Blackhawks fan and his birthyear was 1954. He died 5 years ago and I wear this sweater as a tribute to him. Imagine finding this out after chirping me for wearing it. How foolish you would look. Who knows, maybe someone's brother died in '99 or something like that. Or even if it's nothing dramatic and just for trivial reasons, so what? All I'm saying is don't judge people. It only makes you look petty. Live and let live.

QUOTE (mnpucker @ Jan 17 2010, 12:07 AM)

perhaps I am too old, past my prime, and not getting paid to play...but I have heard a million things young kids say in my life and coaching days, and this has to be one of the silliest.

To suggest anything you do in this sport at a certain level earns such entiitlement is absolutely ludicrous. Your approach is a detriment to the true spirit of the game and how it is supported...IMHO

I couldn't imagine being chirped at if I decided to wear my Pavel Bure jersey to a pick-up game, or even just an NHL jersey. You're supporting your favorite team or player, who gives? How do you decide who "earns" it anyways? Just the guys who don't have weak ankles? You were at that level at some point, leave them be. I do agree with the #99 part though, that's kind of taboo.

One of my pet peeves is when someone shadows you at pick-up. I have no problem with people playing defense, but it's kind of annoying when someone hovers right next to you the whole time you're out there. It doesn't bother me enough to yell at someone, but I'm groaning pretty loud in my head.

I never said I Chirped anyone for wearing NHL/college jerseys the thread says PET PEAVE. Pet peave just mean something that bugs you. Hit a nerve? I said it would not sit well with guys.....

As for the term "benders" I should have used quotes instead of bold. I notice the word used on this site, quite frankly never heard of it prior. Here in Mn you do not see many guys show up at the rink wearing NHL/College Jersey's but when they do it seems their sticks are always flying high. It is just one of those things I guess, players that came to the game later in life seem to like to wear game jerseys that is fine. They just do not seem to be on complete control of themselves in these cases and flying sticks are something that no one likes to deal with.

In Mn, we also call hockey pants breezers, christ lets not get that one started again.

It bugs me little bit to see guys out there in an NHL jersey. For me it just kind of seems a little cheasy, or maybe immature. I used to wear Habs jerseys on the pond, but I was 12.

I do understand though that sometimes that's all they have, or they didn't want a plain black jersey or something along those lines.

The guys I play shinny with have a mix of pro jerseys , blank jerseys and jerseys from teams they have played on - nobody seems to care about it too much. I have a bunch of minor pro jerseys and euro jerseys and I took some heat for owning more than a couple.

The only pet peeve I have with jerseys is the guy who has a pro jersey with a retired number and his name on the back. If you have a retro Oiler jersey with the 99 on the back it should say Gretzky, not your name.

I'm lucky with my shinny hockey - the guys have all played at a high level and they regulate each other pretty well. I don't see much of the behavior described by others in this thread.

My pet peeves, guys who worry about what jersey you wear or that you have 66 or 99 on it or that you have a wheeled bag or a tinted visor or that you're a noob with high end gear :P

Seriously though, how about the guy that has an excuse every week for why he's playing bad. I was sick all week, I'm hungover, I did yard work all day, my skates need sharpened....if it's every week maybe you just suck ;)