Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BackinAction

Winter Classic - Yankee Stadium

i agree with people saying the last game should be a yankees game, so how about shea? the same feeling might be there, but shea has alot less history then yankee stadium.

or if you are going to have an outdoor game, follow suit of other games, and do it in giant stadium, max fans!

for all the people that do not live around NYC. Giants stadium is a pain in the ass to get to from LI and CT. Some parts of NJ is not that bad but getting out is a bitch. If its at yankee stadium at least we got mass transit

tell me about it i hate the drive to giants stadium form LI. :( shea stadium would be fine.

i agree with people saying the last game should be a yankees game, so how about shea? the same feeling might be there, but shea has alot less history then yankee stadium.

or if you are going to have an outdoor game, follow suit of other games, and do it in giant stadium, max fans!

for all the people that do not live around NYC. Giants stadium is a pain in the ass to get to from LI and CT. Some parts of NJ is not that bad but getting out is a bitch. If its at yankee stadium at least we got mass transit

tell me about it i hate the drive to giants stadium form LI. :( shea stadium would be fine.

Shea would be good and bad, one the parking would be a total mess but anyone from LI can just take the train.

bring a nhl game to fenway park!!

Yesterday's Globe said they will be doing work to the field in the next couple of offseasons, so it would be at least three winters away.

I don't see the big deal about having another sport close down Yankee Stadium, considering this would be only the third of its kind in recent history. Yankee Stadium has hosted football games, soccer games, concerts, etc -- it hasn't been taboo to have other events.

If they're smart and want to see an amazing game they'll put the Rangers up against the Flyers. Two teams that absolutely hate each other and basically a play-off type game every time they play. Flyers obviously aren't an original 6 six team, but they should be more focused on the matchup and the atmosphere of the game rather than using an original 6 just for the sake of it.

yeah now that i think of it any rivalry would be good

but at the same time tell me two original six teams playing outdoors wouldnt be sweet

Assuming you want tradition:

Chicago and Detroit at soldier field would be the best American outdoor game, Bruins and Rangers at Fenway is the next best. Toronto and Montreal (at skydome with the roof open?) would be the best overall.

Chicago and Detroit at soldier field would be the best American outdoor game, Bruins and Rangers at Fenway is the next best. Toronto and Montreal (at skydome with the roof open?) would be the best overall.

Most Boston fans would tell you they'd prefer Bruins/Habs if there was a game at Fenway.

Toronto/Montreal both have a massive fan base, I don't think the league would ever do it because outside of selling an additional 25,000 tickets or whatever they aren't going to get much out of the game.

It's not like it's going to grow the sport in Southern Ontario or anything like that, and two Canadian teams isn't going to generate the same kind of media buzz south of the border that something at Soldier Field or Yankee Satdium would.

NO! On a number of levels, NO!

1) I agree with those who posted before that it would be wrong for the last professional event held at Yankee Stadium to be a hockey game. I went to a Yanks/Braves series two years ago, and the sense of history and tradition within the walls completely overwhelmed me (...and I'm a Braves fan). To build a rink in there after the last out was made would be a dishonor.

2) Get another market in there. If you want the game to grow, these "marquee" games should be played by teams from cities which aren't within plain sight of each other.

3) If the Devils play, I'll HAVE to go - and I don't imagine tickets would be very cheap.

Most Boston fans would tell you they'd prefer Bruins/Habs if there was a game at Fenway.

Too bad no other market in America would watch it.

To build a rink in there after the last out was made would be a dishonor.

A dishonor? To a building? Sometimes I just don't understand the sentimental value placed on certain things, or places for that matter.

Stadiums, arenas, etc. to teams with that kind of history are churches and I can see the sacrilege of doing something like that, but they gave the green light.

The bruins are you kidding! Screw the origonal six. We the flyers fans hate everything about new york sports, no matter what team, mets yankee's rangers isles giants jets...you name it philadelphia hates it. Rangers Flyers is one of the best rivalries around.

Calm down, guy. You might hate New York, but Philly (and Philly fans) is/are hated nationally - largely for the same ill-placed self-importance and ignorance you just displayed ("Screw the Original Six"? Seriously? If you guys miss the playoffs - again - this year, I'd say you should probably adjust your thinking to something more along the lines of "Screw the Flyers.").

To build a rink in there after the last out was made would be a dishonor.

A dishonor? To a building? Sometimes I just don't understand the sentimental value placed on certain things, or places for that matter.

Have you ever been there? It's a special place. There was this undeniable aura that just completely overwhelmed me throughout the whole weekend. The history of the stadium is just unreal; I struggled to pay attention to any of the baseball being played - names, games, plays, etc. just kept running through my mind. Say what you want about the Yankees (I don't like them myself) and question the sentiments some might have for a building - but any baseball fan who has seen a game there knows what I'm talking about.

It's baseball that made that place special. I'm of the opinion that playing a hockey game there during the winter after the Yankees move-out would be a violation of all that history. Turn it into whatever you want (I believe they plan on removing the upper deck and using the stadium to host HS baseball championships), but don't use it as a venue for other sporting events.

basically, the only thing that could do that building justice is a redsox yankees showdown in the ALCS. anything less is just a shitty way to go out.