Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JJ Thompson94

Proper equipment shopping ettiquite

I didn't say that I dont treat there money as it is important, the people that I'm talking about are the ones that think it's the most important. So they will haggle, ask for free stuff, expect you to miss lunch and ignore other customers, etc... They are just pains in the ass.

The day I go into a hockey shop and the worker treats his big mac as more important than my sale is the day I stop going to that hockey shop.

You dont read very well do you? Or is it just selective reading? There is a difference between good customer service and holding someone's hand for 2 hours(sometimes longer) while they argue with you about price.

Customer - Since, I'm spending soo much money here, you're going to give me free delivery right?

Me - I wish I could but I'm sorry, we can't deliver for free(obviously this does apply to a hockey shop but it applys to breaking a policy). Our already low prices and current sale just doesn't allow us to offer that service.

Customer - Oh come on, I know you can do it. Help me out, I'm paying your bills.

Me - Oh man, I wish I could but I'd like to keep my job. Believe me, if it was my way I'd deliver it and walk your dog but I have to answer to my boss.

Customer - Not going to keep your job for much longer if you want to charge deivery. ______ would deliver it for free.

Me - Really? When did they start doing that? I had a customer tell me that they charged per piece, not a low flat rate like we do. I'll have to talk to our general manager about that!

Customer - You should, delivery is just a right off anyway. So if I buy today and you charge me for delivery what will you give me for free?

Me - The best I can offer you is my knowledge and the confidence that you're getting a quality product.

Customer - Come on, you can't give me a ________.

Me - I'm sorry sir, but I can't. Actually that ________ at cost is more than what you're paying for your __________.

And this will literally go on until I can finally walk away. That is not worth $5 an hour. They will ask for free delivery and free gifts 10+ times, I will go and ask my manager(which means bring the manager over to reexplain that we cannot deliver and/or give him a free gift).

...And while this is happening you see customers looking for help practically waiving money at you. I'm sorry but if you know that you can literally go days(I've seen people go a week) and not make a dime, you have to make the best of your time while it is busy. It also makes the job a lot better when you're with people that actually appreciate your help.

Since when does a hockey shop deliver to walk-customers.

Sorry, Buzz still wins the award for dealing with "in-store internet guys".

Cheap Guy Do you Have XX gloves?

MEYes let me help you with a size

(fitting intermission)

Cheap Guy ill take them, but the internet has them $30 dollars cheaper, so youll match that

MEwell if i knew i was going to give you internet pricing, i would have provided internet service

(dumbfounded look)

MElets try this, ill show you a picture of gloves, not let you try them on, say nothing, and get your credit card number, charge you $4.95 handling, and $12.95 shipping, and you can pick these up in a week.

Cheap Guywell i need them today

MEOVERNIGHT SHIPPING! add $24.95 to that!

+1! I actually laughed out loud when i first read his response

+1! I actually laughed out loud when i first read his response

Someone needs to draw that up in a cartoon so it can be posted in every hockey shop.

I didn't say that I dont treat there money as it is important, the people that I'm talking about are the ones that think it's the most important. So they will haggle, ask for free stuff, expect you to miss lunch and ignore other customers, etc... They are just pains in the ass.

The day I go into a hockey shop and the worker treats his big mac as more important than my sale is the day I stop going to that hockey shop.

You dont read very well do you? Or is it just selective reading? There is a difference between good customer service and holding someone's hand for 2 hours(sometimes longer) while they argue with you about price.

Customer - Since, I'm spending soo much money here, you're going to give me free delivery right?

Me - I wish I could but I'm sorry, we can't deliver for free(obviously this does apply to a hockey shop but it applys to breaking a policy). Our already low prices and current sale just doesn't allow us to offer that service.

Customer - Oh come on, I know you can do it. Help me out, I'm paying your bills.

Me - Oh man, I wish I could but I'd like to keep my job. Believe me, if it was my way I'd deliver it and walk your dog but I have to answer to my boss.

Customer - Not going to keep your job for much longer if you want to charge deivery. ______ would deliver it for free.

Me - Really? When did they start doing that? I had a customer tell me that they charged per piece, not a low flat rate like we do. I'll have to talk to our general manager about that!

Customer - You should, delivery is just a right off anyway. So if I buy today and you charge me for delivery what will you give me for free?

Me - The best I can offer you is my knowledge and the confidence that you're getting a quality product.

Customer - Come on, you can't give me a ________.

Me - I'm sorry sir, but I can't. Actually that ________ at cost is more than what you're paying for your __________.

And this will literally go on until I can finally walk away. That is not worth $5 an hour. They will ask for free delivery and free gifts 10+ times, I will go and ask my manager(which means bring the manager over to reexplain that we cannot deliver and/or give him a free gift).

...And while this is happening you see customers looking for help practically waiving money at you. I'm sorry but if you know that you can literally go days(I've seen people go a week) and not make a dime, you have to make the best of your time while it is busy. It also makes the job a lot better when you're with people that actually appreciate your help.

Since when does a hockey shop deliver to walk-customers.

Dude, are you kidding? You must read selectively, not at all, or not well as stated previously... haha

Someone needs to draw that up in a cartoon so it can be posted in every hockey shop.

I might try coming up with something :)

I'd think a guy with such a beef about such evil customers would be able to post a real life example.

"I hate such and such customers."

"Why?"

"Because of an example that would never happen with a walk-in customer."

"Ummmmmm......................ok."

(fitting intermission)

Cheap Guy ill take them, but the internet has them $30 dollars cheaper, so youll match that

MEwell if i knew i was going to give you internet pricing, i would have provided internet service

(dumbfounded look)

MElets try this, ill show you a picture of gloves, not let you try them on, say nothing, and get your credit card number, charge you $4.95 handling, and $12.95 shipping, and you can pick these up in a week.

:lol:

Bravo! (re: the cartoon)

The follow happened to me when I last bought a pair of skates from the LHS closest to my house. For background, I have bought my last 3 pairs of skates from them, do all my skate sharpening and holder changes there, and the occasional sticks as well.

So, I went in, and was looking for a pair of grafs. This guy, let's call him Dink, came over and asked if I needed help. So, I explained to him that I am looking at the grafs and I understand that the grafs have different models that fit different shapes of feet and I wanted something that fit well, coming off a pair of Bauer XXs. He then immediately goes into his sales pitch about how grafs are not as good because of this and that and pointed me to the one90s and the 9ks, as they were the most expensive ones on the wall. I go back to saying that I really want to try the grafs and see the fit difference, and right away, I realized that he didn't know shit about grafs and how they fit. He kept on waxing about how NBH and RBk are the industry leaders and yaddy yaddy yada.... So I said, that's ok, I will just look around. I turned around and start shooting the breeze with this guy, let's call him John, that I know have worked there for ages, and I have bought my previous stuff from him before. I think he is the manager. I started chatting with him and asked him about the grafs... He pointed me to the 703s, but then he siad he's not sure if he has stock in my size. I left him my number and asked him to gimme a call when he gets them in.

couple of days later, john called me and said the 703s in my size are in and they are behind the counter on hold for me to come in to try them. So I went in to try them, and guess what? They were not there behind the counter? I asked John what happened to them, and he wasn't sure, so he checked with Dink. Turns out Dink sold them without reading the note on the box.

From that point on, I make a point to only go to John and stay the hell clear from Dink. And I tell all my friends to stay the hell clear of him as well. John gets all our businesses from that point on.

I've found that the best way to get good prices on stuff is to frequent your local shop, get your skates sharpened there, buy your stuff there, be respectful, don't waltz in asking for discounts and get to know the people that work there. Worked for me when I got my XXXXs last month for a price that would beat anything I've seen anywhere else.

The follow happened to me when I last bought a pair of skates from the LHS closest to my house. For background, I have bought my last 3 pairs of skates from them, do all my skate sharpening and holder changes there, and the occasional sticks as well.

So, I went in, and was looking for a pair of grafs. This guy, let's call him Dink, came over and asked if I needed help. So, I explained to him that I am looking at the grafs and I understand that the grafs have different models that fit different shapes of feet and I wanted something that fit well, coming off a pair of Bauer XXs. He then immediately goes into his sales pitch about how grafs are not as good because of this and that and pointed me to the one90s and the 9ks, as they were the most expensive ones on the wall. I go back to saying that I really want to try the grafs and see the fit difference, and right away, I realized that he didn't know shit about grafs and how they fit. He kept on waxing about how NBH and RBk are the industry leaders and yaddy yaddy yada.... So I said, that's ok, I will just look around. I turned around and start shooting the breeze with this guy, let's call him John, that I know have worked there for ages, and I have bought my previous stuff from him before. I think he is the manager. I started chatting with him and asked him about the grafs... He pointed me to the 703s, but then he siad he's not sure if he has stock in my size. I left him my number and asked him to gimme a call when he gets them in.

couple of days later, john called me and said the 703s in my size are in and they are behind the counter on hold for me to come in to try them. So I went in to try them, and guess what? They were not there behind the counter? I asked John what happened to them, and he wasn't sure, so he checked with Dink. Turns out Dink sold them without reading the note on the box.

From that point on, I make a point to only go to John and stay the hell clear from Dink. And I tell all my friends to stay the hell clear of him as well. John gets all our businesses from that point on.

Your LHS = C*****s? I'm only guessing that because I haven't found any other store in Vancouver that still carries Graf. and also I know a John that's very knowledgeable who works there.

edit: removed name of LHS

funny pic cartoon!!

comments?

aaahh! bravo dangle, well done!

Your LHS = C*****s? I'm only guessing that because I haven't found any other store in Vancouver that still carries Graf. and also I know a John that's very knowledgeable who works there.

edit: removed name of LHS

I'm pretty sure I know which shop you're speaking of. This is the place I will go this spring to try on One95s as well as Graf Ultra Gs. I bought skates there last year for both of my sons and they took great care in fitting them. I also visited them last month while in Vancouver and got some advance info about One95s and Grafs, telling the guy that I didn't want to try skates on that day since I wasn't planning on buying right away but that I'd be back in the spring.

As a side note, I'm not sure if he still works there or not but a couple of years ago I went into this same shop to do a warranty replacement on an Oakley visor and I was helped by the guy that played Mark Pavelich in "Miracle".

(fitting intermission)

(dumbfounded look)

I wish THAT would fit in my signature... :lol:

Dink is a retard and these people RUIN LHS. Owners and managers need to stop hiring just any doofus who walks in and asks for a job. Hockey players are all very finiky when it comes to equipement and there are entire sites donated to just learning and talking about hockey equipment (lol get it). Any hockey player whos been playing for a bit knows when they run into a moron in the shop. I understand it's hard for LHS to find those smart great sales people that seem to know everything there is to know about equipment but atleast find people who know alittle something. Ever notice how most LHS have only 1 guy, that 1 guy who everyone wants to talk to. My LHS there is a line to talk to this guy mark. Other people will try to help but i've seen people wait hours to be fitted by mark.

Dink is a retard and these people RUIN LHS. Owners and managers need to stop hiring just any doofus who walks in and asks for a job. Hockey players are all very finiky when it comes to equipement and there are entire sites donated to just learning and talking about hockey equipment (lol get it). Any hockey player whos been playing for a bit knows when they run into a moron in the shop. I understand it's hard for LHS to find those smart great sales people that seem to know everything there is to know about equipment but atleast find people who know alittle something. Ever notice how most LHS have only 1 guy, that 1 guy who everyone wants to talk to. My LHS there is a line to talk to this guy mark. Other people will try to help but i've seen people wait hours to be fitted by mark.

Realize that we also see it the other way as well. I cannot count the amount of uninformed customers that I run into every day, the ones who have been playing for "30 years and wearing Bauer all the time" so it never occurs to them that Bauer may have changed their fit along the years. Or the "ex-pros" whose names almost never show up on hockeydb.com when you look them up after.

And even I get that initial impression of "This guy doesn't know shit, just some black dude in a proshop" look when someone new walks in to talk to me. They learn quick, though.

Dink is a retard and these people RUIN LHS. Owners and managers need to stop hiring just any doofus who walks in and asks for a job. I understand it's hard for LHS to find those smart great sales people that seem to know everything there is to know about equipment but atleast find people who know alittle something. Ever notice how most LHS have only 1 guy, that 1 guy who everyone wants to talk to. My LHS there is a line to talk to this guy mark. Other people will try to help but i've seen people wait hours to be fitted by mark.

Lets say shops do hire people who are enthusiastic, experienced, helpful and extremely versed about hockey equipment. Those people don't come cheap, are usually not teens, and have to be paid much more than minimum wage, and are extremely hard to find. Then the store will need 2 shifts at minimum to makes sure they are there all day when store is open, and at least 2 of them in the store at all times. Full time employees also want benefits so the store has to pay those as well. The store owner has to make up for this huge expense so the prices go up. Then everyone complains that he's way more expensive than internet and they just uses his store as a fitting room for shopping online.

It's not such a simple business. If it were, everyone would do it.

Realize that we also see it the other way as well. I cannot count the amount of uninformed customers that I run into every day, the ones who have been playing for "30 years and wearing Bauer all the time" so it never occurs to them that Bauer may have changed their fit along the years. Or the "ex-pros" whose names almost never show up on hockeydb.com when you look them up after.

And even I get that initial impression of "This guy doesn't know shit, just some black dude in a proshop" look when someone new walks in to talk to me. They learn quick, though.

Wouldnt a smart consumer consider that since you're a "black dude in a pro shop" that you actually know your shit? Since you've probably been put under more scrutiny than warrantied and weathered the storm for quite some time now. I agree, there are a lot of 17-24 yr old shop employees that are absolutely clueless about the product. Some of these kids have been playing hockey for years, but never giving much thought as to the equipment they wear because a lot of these kids base their assumptions on popular opinion or the "cool" marketable gear rather than the best gear for an idividual player. I always seek out the manager of the shop or the oldest guy in the store and steer clear of the younger people unless it is something mundane like putting a plug in a shaft etc. It seems the younger players know their sticks pretty well, but are clueless as to the specs regarding their skates.

While that is true, you can also be passing up someone with a LOT of knowledge. You can normally figure out if someone is BSing you within 2-4 mins. Sometimes less.

With the Dink guy, that is a salesman... a really bad salesman. He thinks hes selling used cars. A real salesman, is the one that goes out of his way to make a customer happy, regardless if they end up buying something less expensive. A happy customer is a return customer.

Wouldnt a smart consumer consider that since you're a "black dude in a pro shop" that you actually know your shit? Since you've probably been put under more scrutiny than warrantied and weathered the storm for quite some time now.

Chris Rock goes "you see a white guy in a gang, you know thats a bad motherf***er. Imagine all the people he killed to get the homies to except him"

Well I butchered the joke, but you get the idea, thats the logic your using.

Wouldnt a smart consumer consider that since you're a "black dude in a pro shop" that you actually know your shit? Since you've probably been put under more scrutiny than warrantied and weathered the storm for quite some time now.

Chris Rock goes "you see a white guy in a gang, you know thats a bad motherf***er. Imagine all the people he killed to get the homies to except him"

Well I butchered the joke, but you get the idea, thats the logic your using.

I should know.. I lost a great majority of my hearing..white, black, deaf, blind..whatever..we all face preconceived notions of what our abilities will be. I find it odd how some common idiot finds it surprising that a guy with a hearing loss spent the last 90 min skating circles around him, even though my ears are a long way from my feet.