Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jbyun04

NHL 09

its needs the custom equipment that 2k has and the fantasy draft ill end up getting both cause im weird like that..

+1 on the equip. NHL08 had options, but was pretty limited.... The EA franchise always looks flat-out amazing, but the game play itself is pretty bland. The Be-a-Pro mode sounds really cool. Anyone play any of the FIFA EA games to give a little feedback on it?

I haven't played this game, but they did the same sort of thing with FIFA 08. Not really with the progression, but you were able to play as one person. It actually was really cool. It took a little while getting used to it, but once I did it was amazing. You actually kind of get a rush when you score a goal as a one player because you have to work hard to be in position. If it's anything like that I'm looking forward to it.

I was a die hard 2k fan until I bought them both this year, and 2k8 was sold on ebay so fast the wrapper was barely off it lol 08 is the shit and i cant wait for 09 to come out.

new info-ish

Legendary Skill Stick Moves - so far I've only heard of the Datsyuk deke

Endorphin physics - 2-400 new hitting animations. New physics engine makes players more reactive to their environment. See game called 'Backbreaker'

more info on NHL09.com

Here's the weird thing about the Be a Player feature - when "you" need to go off the ice for a rest, you actually just sit on the bench and wait for your next shift. I get the feeling that would get pretty tedious after a while and you'll be forcing yourself on the ice more often than you should.

AND, I hear the way the game rates you you have to be a good team player. So you can't demand a pass too often, or shoot too often if that's not your role, etc. That part I can understand but why not let you continue playing as someone else until "you" get back on the ice?

I'd imagine (or at least hope) thats not something they would be changing until closer to release. There were some preliminary shots of 08 with guys with the green ST, and that stick was cut from the game. That said, if they do keep the equipment as is, its pretty pathetic on EA's end, and surprising that the companies wouldn't push to have their newest products "marketed" in the game.

Here's the weird thing about the Be a Player feature - when "you" need to go off the ice for a rest, you actually just sit on the bench and wait for your next shift. I get the feeling that would get pretty tedious after a while and you'll be forcing yourself on the ice more often than you should.

AND, I hear the way the game rates you you have to be a good team player. So you can't demand a pass too often, or shoot too often if that's not your role, etc. That part I can understand but why not let you continue playing as someone else until "you" get back on the ice?

When you play hockey and you're on the bench do you jump out of yourself and jump into another player on the ice?

Playing as someone else defeats the whole purpose, how are they going to grade YOU if you play as a teammate?

All you do is wait for your fatigue bar to fill and you ask coach to get back on. If you do it too much your team play score goes down but if you're a gamebreaker, what's the problem?

Looking at the screenshots, looks like equipment is the same as 08.

IIRC, when the first videos for 08 came out, the players were still in old, 07 equipment (see Cam Ward in TPS Bionics). I have no experience in the industry, but I'd assume gear comes after gameplay

Looking at the screenshots, looks like equipment is the same as 08.

IIRC, when the first videos for 08 came out, the players were still in old, 07 equipment (see Cam Ward in TPS Bionics). I have no experience in the industry, but I'd assume gear comes after gameplay

Same with 07. We were worried because Ovechkin was using a Sherwood

The art has to be in the game first - or there won't be any screenshots. Attributing it to the right player is something that is done afterwards.

The art has to be in the game first - or there won't be any screenshots. Attributing it to the right player is something that is done afterwards.

Maybe they are using everything from NHL08 except for the new features to generate more interest way before the game is out, and then they will change the the equipment and everything closer to the release date.

Yeah, JR, as much as I hate to go against you on this one EA would have to be crazy not to update the gear. It's something the hardcore gamers notice and would be a huge loss in the 09/2k9 battles.

You can choose goalie as a position, pretty interesting.

You can do that in NHL 08

As far as the game goes it looks sweet. As a true MSHer, i hope they actually have updated equipment :lol:

yeah, what is up with the screen shots having sl's not se's and the s17?

Maybe they are using everything from NHL08 except for the new features to generate more interest way before the game is out, and then they will change the the equipment and everything closer to the release date.

Obviously the artwork is in the game, it says NHL 09 on the dasher boards.

Yeah, JR, as much as I hate to go against you on this one EA would have to be crazy not to update the gear. It's something the hardcore gamers notice and would be a huge loss in the 09/2k9 battles.

As long as I'm on board with 2k, EA will be losing every year. :)

EA will have updated gear for sure. These are early screens so do not worry but if you're looking for primo gear, 2k is gonna have the upper hand just because JR is there.

updated gear list (hopefully not the full list of new stuff but this is from what i've seen)

Gloves:

Warrior Franchise gloves

NikeBauer Vapor XXXX Gloves

08 RBK pro gloves

Sticks:

NikeBauer Vapor XXXX

Easton S17

some weird looking all silver Easton stick (could just be the angle and the lighting)

Skates:

Easton S15

NikeBauer One95

NikeBauer Vapor XXXX

New RBK 9k

More to come I guess