Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Nike/Bauer 9500 Helmet Initial Thoughts

What's with the ref? Are you actually in a league? Don't you have to back check or stay onsides at the blue line? JK.........

Interesting breezers..made to look like Lacrosse pants..I see the MSH logo too..

MSH Shells. They had them done up for the Skate last Dec. Not sure if there are any left. Chadd has/had them.

Interesting breezers..made to look like Lacrosse pants..I see the MSH logo too..

MSH Shells. They had them done up for the Skate last Dec. Not sure if there are any left. Chadd has/had them.

I think one of those shells would be pretty damned cool...I have black breezers but I could use a blue shell..they're not as easy to find as one would think..

How did you get the equipment to float around like that by itself? :P

Can barely see you in those pics. Camera's have a flash, you know.

Yeah, but in a rink setting you're not supposed to use flash b/c it bounces off the glass. That being said, the lighting isn't the greatest. However, I think the flash was on...

Awful lot to ask of the flash. But without flash and ISO turned up is the way to go for most pocket digital cameras.

Those settings you get something like this:

IMG_0279.jpg

Nothing to do with lax, we used the ranger styling with MSH colors.

Awful lot to ask of the flash. But without flash and ISO turned up is the way to go for most pocket digital cameras.

Those settings you get something like this:

IMG_0279.jpg

Yes, agreed, but these were shot at ice level (in front of the glass)

I think she used the flash, and what happens is it bounces right off the glass.

Yes, agreed, but these were shot at ice level (in front of the glass)

I think she used the flash, and what happens is it bounces right off the glass.

If you ever notice at Pro rink (Especially NHL rinks) there are usually portholes in the corners to allow photographers and camera men to stick the lense through.. Usually that helps with the shot. Also having a camera with Large Apertures doesn't hurt either.

Yes.. It does sound like something Larry Craig would do in South Beach

Like I told JR, at our rink there are a lot of areas to take pictures from above the glass so thats where people go... but it does work through the glass. Obviously, it will effect the quality of the pic somewhat... there's only soo much you can do with non-pro cameras.

Two words: Strobe flash. About 10 years ago my friend from Finland came over to cover some NHL games. He does freelance sports writing. He got me media passes as his photographer for games at MSG and the Meadowlands. I sat at rinkside at a porthole at MSG. I took a ton of photos. Most were ok with the light but I totally lucked out on one where another photographer's strobe light, which I believe are in the rafters, went off on the same click as me. That picture was perfect. Hockey takes a lot of experience and the right set-up to get a quality photo at the rink. Then, of course, they have those companies which go to tourneys and take a gazillion shots and Squirt Sammy looks like a freakin' pro in the photo!!

Generally for hockey cards, posters and the like as well as major mags like SI, ESPN etc the photographers use strobes mounted in the rafters. I'm talking very powerful studio strobes like you might see at a portrait studio. Depending on how much of the ice surface you want to cover you might use anywhere from four to sixteen of these all linked together and then fired either from a fixed position using a cord connected to the system that is dropped from the rafters or , the more popular route, by using radio remotes that fire the strobes using a wireless connection allowing you to move about the ice. Then you can shot at ISO 100 in an arena, the flash is from above so it doesn't bother the players (as opposed to one right in their face from a shoe mounted strobe) and the flash can freeze the action. The white ice and boards helps to bounce the light around and fill in the shadows. THAT is how you get that amazing quality you see on cards. It's a big production but it can be done in a scaled down setup with portable hot shoe flashes mounted on stands up high. Not as much power and limited coverage but results are pretty good...until a puck knocks your stand over.

SI does this for basketball and many other indoor sports.

Next time you are watching a game, watch the flashes going off. Those aren't guys in the stands with their pocket cameras, they are the large overhead strobe systems lighting up the entire arena with each burst.

Sorry for the long winded explanation but as I professional photographer who has done these type of setups its nice to flaunt my knowledge on a board dedicated to hockey which I just started, know little about and more or less suck at. Now I feel like a big man.

First skate went very well -

Had no problems with sweat at all, didn't have to wipe the visor once or fiddle with it. In fact, my head got cold. Perfect.

I had to adjust it once to make it a bit smaller, but I really like the feel of it.

Switched helmets during the game (I gave my friend my Intake so I wore it for a couple of shifts) and while the Intake handles ventilation well, it was pretty close. The 9500 felt a bit cooler.

JR

Do you have an opinion on the fit comparable to a CCM V10?

Old Tacks helmet?

Could never wear those things.

I sweat like a pig last night in my new Vector v08 helmet. Very comfortable otherwise..I like the older CCM helmets but sometimes they add a little pressure above my ears with the padding.

I wore the V08 in Montreal for the U+ event. I liked that helmet.

They're a lot of helmet for $49..They seem to be a little more "round" inside than the older CCMs..Very comfortable. I'd be willing to say that the V08 may be the best value helmet out there..The NBH 9500/8500, RBK high end helmets and Cascades all feel nice, but they are expensive..

I just got this helmet today and used it for 2 games. I previously had the Bauer 8000 and I noticed the 9500 is a smaller profile helmet type on your head. Least thats what it felt like to me. The 9500 cage is feather light! I love the cage. Anyways, I noticed the helmet is lighter and keeps you cool during the game. Where i play is gets really hot in the arena(i play roller) and i noticed i stayed a lot cooler during the game. Very comfortable helmet, coming from the 8000, this 9500 is a lot more comfortable right out of the box.

Worth the price tag I think, very nice helmet, NBH did a great job with it!