Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

barrett

MLB Discussion

Mannny's wearing 99 in LA....anyone know if he's a hockey fan?

He didn't want it. 24 was retired, so he asked for 34. Even though it wasn't retired, they never issued it after Valenzuela retired. Then apparently it was in Boras' hands and they went from 66 to 99.

you can compare the numbers all you want. the fact is, the lineup is far less menacing with mike lowell hitting cleanup and jason bay 5th than with manny hitting cleanup. Bay just simply doesn't have the presence that Ramirez brought to the plate. When the rest of your division is thrilled with the trade you just made, that has to tell you something. But hey, Theo Epstein has brought us 2 world championships, we doubted him when he traded Nomar and look how that season ended, i guess he knows what he's doing.

Jason Bay is a damn good player, but Manny Ramirez is one of the greatest hitters to ever play the game. Hopefully the rest of the fans will understand that it is impossible to fill Manny's shoes and Bay just has to play the best he can and try to help this team to a championship.

Hopefully this trade works out for both parties, Manny will be happy in LA and continue to pave his path to Cooperstown, and the Red Sox will continue to win without him. As someone on another board said, "The best advice I can give to Jason is play your heart out, but don't try to fill shoes you couldn't even carry"

I think the lineup with Manny is more frightening to opposing pitchers. However, team chemistry and cohesiveness have to be weighed against the line-up consideration. On top of that, Bay will be under K after this year. BTW, I just returned from TB and saw the insane D-Rays win 6-5 in 10 innings. If we heat up a little on the road, we will win the division.

you can compare the numbers all you want. the fact is, the lineup is far less menacing with mike lowell hitting cleanup and jason bay 5th than with manny hitting cleanup. Bay just simply doesn't have the presence that Ramirez brought to the plate. When the rest of your division is thrilled with the trade you just made, that has to tell you something. But hey, Theo Epstein has brought us 2 world championships, we doubted him when he traded Nomar and look how that season ended, i guess he knows what he's doing.

Jason Bay is a damn good player, but Manny Ramirez is one of the greatest hitters to ever play the game. Hopefully the rest of the fans will understand that it is impossible to fill Manny's shoes and Bay just has to play the best he can and try to help this team to a championship.

Hopefully this trade works out for both parties, Manny will be happy in LA and continue to pave his path to Cooperstown, and the Red Sox will continue to win without him. As someone on another board said, "The best advice I can give to Jason is play your heart out, but don't try to fill shoes you couldn't even carry"

I, for one, didn't doubt shipping Nomar out of town. Too many injuries and too much ego were having a negative effect on the team. Manny's recent actions were more of the same and I was glad that he finally got sent out west. Sure, the Yanks and Angels probably danced a jig when they heard about the deal, but take a look at the results. Granted it was Oakland but there was something different about this Red Sox team over the weekend. A lot of guys seem to be a lot happier about going to the ballpark.

I, for one, didn't doubt shipping Nomar out of town. Too many injuries and too much ego were having a negative effect on the team. Manny's recent actions were more of the same and I was glad that he finally got sent out west. Sure, the Yanks and Angels probably danced a jig when they heard about the deal, but take a look at the results. Granted it was Oakland but there was something different about this Red Sox team over the weekend. A lot of guys seem to be a lot happier about going to the ballpark.

thats the only thing that makes this trade make sence at all, if the clubhouse is happier, hopefully everyone will step it up and be able to fill the void left by ramirez. They did look good over the weekend though so we'll have to see if that can continue. Since the trade both Manny and Bay have been on fire so hopefully this is working out well for all parties.

Interesting story out of NY. Scouts skimming money from young Dominican players' bonuses (allegedly).

http://tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=245369&lid...=headlines_main

Nothing that wasn't known already - the situation down there with buscones (translation: finders) and all that has been documented before. It's a total meat market down there and unfortunately, the kids are the victims in the end. Got them taking veterinary-grade steroids and stuff like that just to get an edge.

Man, I would have loved to have had THIS Manny in Beantown, but he wasn't going to let that happen.

He's batting .563 with 4 homers and 9 ribbies in his first six games in La La Land.

Here's a....surprise

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08092008/sport..._bx__123658.htm

According to people who have spoken to the eccentric outfielder since he was dealt to L.A. on July 31, Ramirez wants to sign a free-agent deal with the Yankees New York Yankees this offseason and get 19 chances a year to punish Boston.

"He wants to play for the Yankees so he can get at the Red Sox," a close friend of Ramirez's told The Post.

When it comes to guys like Manny...if you are gonna put up ridiculous numbers like that...go ahead, talk as much smack as you want.

It's the guys who run their mouth on Wed-Thurs and get schooled on Sun (NFL mainly) that bug me. Like the DB who called out NE last year...dumb dumb dumb.

The Manny situation could have been handled better by both sides. The predictable Red Sox FO smear campaign through the media was put together quicker than usual though.

What are you talking about?!?!

Do you think it took a smear campaign to get Manny to say the things he did to ESPN Deportes? The sad truth is Manny ran himself out of town, although it was apparent to everyone that Boras plucked the strings. About the only thing that could possibly be construed as a smear is word leaked that Manny promised to play hard for the Sox down the stretch in exchange for a vow that they wouldn't pick up the team option at the end of the season. We've also learned that other players were tired of Manny playing hard when he felt like it and wanted Manny gone, but the stories have intimated that the sources were the players and not the team.

The Sox put up with Manny for 7 1/2 years because he was a Hall of Fame hitter, but he didn't make it easy because he played hard when he wanted to play hard. Derek Lowe, who played with him for four seasons previously and then again this past week, said it best, "He's about as steady as they come when he wants to play. And, clearly, he wants to play right now."

Think about it. If Manny played every week like he has this past week, do you think there would have been a trade? Of course not. And the Sox would be as favored as any team to win it all. But what would happen to Manny? He'd have his option picked up for $20M this year and then next, then enter free agency at 38, while Boras wouldn't receive anything until Manny signs a new contract. Manny signed with Boras last offseason. Why would a guy who's effectively two years away from free agency sign with the most onerous of sports agents? And why would a sports agent ink a player who might not be able to sign a new contract until he's 38?

The Sox would love to have the Manny of these past ten days, but Manny refused to let that happen.

The Manny situation could have been handled better by both sides. The predictable Red Sox FO smear campaign through the media was put together quicker than usual though.

Right, the smear campaign. Would that be the part where Manny manhandled a 60-ish year old Red Sox employee? Perhaps the part where he sat out with *ahem* hurting knees. I know, it was the part where he lolly-gagged another couple of trips up the first base line. Maybe it was when he tossed a shot at Youkilis in the dugout. I won't even bother with the bat on the shoulder pinch hit in NY. Yeah, those were all smear items from the Sox front office.

The thing in Houston was reported by Edes, who's well-known, along with Gammons, as a sox plant. That got the ball rolling. And that going public is supposedly what made him either want his option picked up or he'd be a problem.

They didn't, he was.

The thing in Houston was reported by Edes, who's well-known, along with Gammons, as a sox plant. That got the ball rolling. And that going public is supposedly what made him either want his option picked up or he'd be a problem.

They didn't, he was.

Who cares who reported it? Does it change the facts of the incident? No. Also, Manny didn't want his option picked up and a condition of any trade that he would okay was that the 2 option years left on his deal wouldn't be dropped, leaving him a free agent after this season.

I thought the trade deadline was over?

Dunn was claimed off waivers, so you can work a trade. Every player has to clear waivers though.

Though I'm sure the PTBNLs in the deal will include at least one legit prospect. They just didn't want to run them through waivers.

Dunn is easily the worst "good" player I've ever seen. Loves errors, striking out, and being really slow. He may lead the National League in homers but I guarantee 90% of those were solo shots, he sucks with RISP. I'm glad to see him and his hefty contract go.