Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

barrett

MLB Discussion

Dunn is easily the worst "good" player I've ever seen. Loves errors, striking out, and being really slow. He may lead the National League in homers but I guarantee 90% of those were solo shots, he sucks with RISP. I'm glad to see him and his hefty contract go.

He has a .943ops with RISP.

He shouldn't be in the outfield, but oh well. He's only had one double-digit GIDP season. Batting average and Ks mean NOTHING because he has a career .900ops.

Dunn is easily the worst "good" player I've ever seen. Loves errors, striking out, and being really slow. He may lead the National League in homers but I guarantee 90% of those were solo shots, he sucks with RISP. I'm glad to see him and his hefty contract go.

Yeah, 40 HR and a .900+ OPS every year sucks. :rolleyes:

I heard this afternoon that Shef was on waivers...but he's playing for the Tigers tonight...just jacked one to tie the game v. Toronto. :rolleyes:

Can you still play while on waivers in MLB?

Yes. A lot of things can happen after a player is put on waivers.

Teams can place a claim on a player in reverse order of team records, so the worst team has the first shot. If the original team truly no longer wants the player, then they are essentially placing a player on irrevocable waivers and will allow the transaction to continue. I believe the original team will have to eat the remaining salary while the acquiring team is only liable for the prorated minimum. However, if the original team is only fishing for interest, they have the right to try to work out a trade with the claiming team or pull back the player. If the player goes unclaimed by the other 29 teams, I believe the original team has ten days to a) rescind the waiver; B) offer a minor league reassignment; c) work out a trade; or d) outright release the player and eat the salary.

That leads into the time after the trading deadline, when many teams put every player on waivers to keep their options open. If a player is claimed, as the Red Sox did with Brian Giles last week, the teams have 48 hours to work out a trade. (Supposedly, the Sox and Padres worked out a trade, but Giles exercised his No-Trade rights). If a player passes unclaimed by all teams, then the original team is free to trade the player to any team, as happened with the Diamondbacks and Dunn. If no trade can be worked out, then the original team rescinds the waivers, which is why players can play while they are on waivers.

By the way, when I started typing this, the Red Sox were on the verge of a horrific loss, possibly an historical one. They had a 10-0 lead after one inning, yet they were down 16-15 in the eighth. Amazingly, they just won the game 19-16, but losing a 10-0 lead is bad!

Yeah, 40 HR and a .900+ OPS every year sucks. :ph34r:

.900+ OPS is impressive but I'd wager walks are a disproportionate amount of that figure. It's not that uncommon, especially on a team like the Reds, for a guy with home run power to be walked (whether intentionally or pitched around) with runners on to get to easier batters (of which the Reds have plenty).

That's why I described him as the worst "good" player. He looks good on paper but he really doesn't produce. Even if he gets walked all day it's not like he's gonna steal a base or even break up a DP. The homers are inflated by GABP and the errors are insane. I'm too lazy to go grab stats right now but I know he's led OFs in errors a few times. Add that to the Ks and the slowness and I'm glad to see him go.

The best part is he told Bronson Arroyo that he's expecting a $120 million contract wherever he ends up. :lol:

His career average is a .520slg. He's had two double digit error years. And one of them was mainly at 1b, the first season he played 45 or more games at the position. Even with all the errors, he's a plus defender at 1b because of his range. He's going to get paid. He's hitting his prime now.

To say that, as a Reds fan, you're glad to see him god, is hard to understand. Would you rather watch Hairston/CPat/Crap in the OF? And, if Owings is really the main PTBNL, then Jocketty would have been better off getting the two first rounders for him.

I heard this afternoon that Shef was on waivers...but he's playing for the Tigers tonight...just jacked one to tie the game v. Toronto. :ph34r:

I'm glad they put Shef on waivers. He's not worth the money, he's underachieving, and he is a cancer the team.

He's on revocable waivers, not outright. Nobody will take on his salary so he won't be going anywhere, unless they outright him. If they outright him they'll have to pay what's left anyway.

I heard this afternoon that Shef was on waivers...but he's playing for the Tigers tonight...just jacked one to tie the game v. Toronto. :blink:

I'm glad they put Shef on waivers. He's not worth the money, he's underachieving, and he is a cancer the team.

not totally a cancer. from what i've heard him a leyland get along well and respect each other and as far the team he seems like one of the veteran leaders. whats been the problem is his recovery from his injury and the fact he will only be a dh. a guy like sheffield doesnt want to, or isnt ready to, become "just a dh." from my understanding is he want a bigger role on a team and the tigers arent necessarily the team for him. but the rays or twins seem likely.

He's on revocable waivers, not outright. Nobody will take on his salary so he won't be going anywhere, unless they outright him. If they outright him they'll have to pay what's left anyway.

Teams may not have to take on the salary. By being on revocable waivers, should a team put in a claim for Sheffield then the Tigers can request a trade with said team who can make a condition of Detroit paying the salary.

Word has it that NY missed out on Byrd because they wanted Cleveland to pay his salary.

I'm guessing that's not true, 'cause if NY wanted him they would have put the claim in. If they couldn't work a deal then they would have just had to pull him back, and it would have blocked Boston.

I am suprised the Jays didn't trade Burnett

why trade one of the best starters in the league? he leads the league in strikeouts (walks aswell. :rolleyes: ) but theres no point in trading the teams best pitcher. all they need to do is learn to hit, and they'll make the wildcard :P

why trade one of the best starters in the league? he leads the league in strikeouts (walks aswell. :rolleyes: ) but theres no point in trading the teams best pitcher. all they need to do is learn to hit, and they'll make the wildcard :P

Because he's going to opt out of his contract and walk this winter?

His career average is a .520slg. He's had two double digit error years. And one of them was mainly at 1b, the first season he played 45 or more games at the position. Even with all the errors, he's a plus defender at 1b because of his range. He's going to get paid. He's hitting his prime now.

To say that, as a Reds fan, you're glad to see him god, is hard to understand. Would you rather watch Hairston/CPat/Crap in the OF? And, if Owings is really the main PTBNL, then Jocketty would have been better off getting the two first rounders for him.

meh...agree to disagree. I will say, however, that lots of Reds fans feel the same way as I do. Based on radio callers/article comments/talking to people, I'd say Cincy is 60-40 anti-Dunn.

I'm guessing he's going to tie the Rockies' record, not the MLB record. Unless he stole 80 bases tonight.

AL East is up for grabs again because my Rays lost Longo and Crawford (I'm not saying we had it in the bag before but we had probably a good chance). This leaves us with just Pena as a power hitter. It really sucks that we didn't make any moves around the trade deadline, hint hint..

AL East is up for grabs again because my Rays lost Longo and Crawford (I'm not saying we had it in the bag before but we had probably a good chance). This leaves us with just Pena as a power hitter. It really sucks that we didn't make any moves around the trade deadline, hint hint..

I still think the D-Rays are going to take it. Their pitching is solid.

I still think the D-Rays are going to take it. Their pitching is solid.

I think so too. Well I'm atleast hoping so and saying 60/40 to people who ask me. Even if this team only wins one postseason game this year, I'd view it as a huge step forward and be ecstatic. I've literally listened to/watched every single game since this team's inception, except for when at work/school etc. I still hope Vince Naimoli suffers a fate equal to that of Mussolini or Stalin. By skimping to the extreme on payroll, he and the other main partners were splitting up an annual profit of $20m a year thanks to revenue sharing for several years. A pox on his house!

Extending Longoria was a big step in the right direction, same with Kazmir. I'm also sure they're happy they didn't extend Crawford a few years ago like had originally been spoken about. He still hasn't been able to get over that superstar hump, but he's still a very good player, he's probably keeping himself right out of that GETTIN PAID bracket.

Those will hurt the Rays. Here's hoping the Sox make hay while the sun is shining.

why trade one of the best starters in the league? he leads the league in strikeouts (walks aswell. :blink: ) but theres no point in trading the teams best pitcher. all they need to do is learn to hit, and they'll make the wildcard :P

He's not even close to the team's best pitcher.

We've got some guy pitching up here named 'Doc' that's had that title sewn up for some time now.

It's classic Burnett, completely shit the bed early in the season, then once we are comfortably out of the wild card/division race and he can make some money with a new contract...well then it's time to step it up a bit.