Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

barrett

MLB Discussion

I am suprised the Jays didn't trade Burnett

why trade one of the best starters in the league? he leads the league in strikeouts (walks aswell. :blink: ) but theres no point in trading the teams best pitcher. all they need to do is learn to hit, and they'll make the wildcard :P

He's not even close to the team's best pitcher.

We've got some guy pitching up here named 'Doc' that's had that title sewn up for some time now.

It's classic Burnett, completely shit the bed early in the season, then once we are comfortably out of the wild card/division race and he can make some money with a new contract...well then it's time to step it up a bit.

Burnett has more wins and strikeouts then Doc, making him the better pitcher. thats like comparing the leafs and the sens, saying the leafs are better because they have sundin, whereas the sens are higher up in the standings.

Wins are a team stat. The strikeouts are nice though. But, he has 10 more Ks than Doc, but more than double the walks. AJ also has more hits than innings pitched. With the more Ks AJ's K:bb is about 2 1/2 less than Doc's. His OPS against is also about .150 higher. AJ's WHIP is creeping up to 1.50, Doc's is down around 1.

Doc is easily the better pitcher.

All that being said, when AJ's ON, there probably isn't a pitcher in the majors who's better. Thing is, if he makes 30 starts in a year, he's probably only on for about 10 of those. The other 20 he's about league average. That's how he ends up in the 4s in ERA all the time.

ok i'll rephrase, Burnett has been pitching better in the last month then the other starters. he should have gotten traded, especially since Hill is out for the remainde rof the season, im not a big fan of scutero to be honest, i think he makes to many errors even if they arent numerous, they are more then mcdonald or eckstein make, plus he cant hit.

Eh, Scutaro is pretty much the same player as Eckstein, probably a little better. McDonald cleared waivers, wouldn't be shocked if a team picks him up as a utility guy going into the playoffs.

so the jays are like the leafs, letting themselves go down the drain. lol. why do i even bother cheering for them.. :ph34r:

If they can stay healthy/perform, Snider/Wells/Rios will be a good middle of the lineup in a year or two. That'll be exciting to watch.

If they can stay healthy/perform, Snider/Wells/Rios will be a good middle of the lineup in a year or two. That'll be exciting to watch.

Is that sarcastic? Wells hit .264 with 16 HR in nearly 600 ABs last season...Rios is good for about 15-20 HR a season MAYBE and a .280 avg, he's slugging a bit over .400 this year with 8 HR....neither of them can get on base at all. Snider is a good prospect, but who really knows how he'll turn out.

I think to be a successful line-up in the AL East, you need 1 or 2 guys who are at least a threat to hit 35-40 bombs, and the Jays aren't even close to having anybody like that right now.

Wells' shoulder was destroyed last year, I think once he's a year removed from the injury he'll be fine. I think this is an aberration year for Rios.

The main thing with Snider is if he can keep from eating himself to 1b.

I hope you're right about Rios, but I think last year, well specifically the first three months, were the abberation.

Since last July, just under 800 ABs, he has hit 15 home runs. From 2004-2005, 907 ABs, he had 11 home runs.

I just don't think he has any power.

Wells ain't bad when he's healthy (which isn't that often), he's probably good for high 20s, low 30s in HR, 90-110 RBI, and hit around .280 with a low OBP...but how many guys do the Red Sox/Yankees have better than that? Even the Rays now can probably expect far better production than that out of Pena and Longoria.

Rios and Wells are both nice complimentary players I think, but the Jays appear to be trying to build their line-up around both of them, and I just don't think they are that calibre of hitter.

I think the problem is the Jays need a new GM. I know the Jays are never going to be "the" team in Toronto, but a GM shouldn't be able to get away with saying a player doesn't like the sport and that's why he wouldn't want him on the team. JP then pretty much repeated what all the idiots say about Dunn, "But he strikes out a lot!"

Just heard on Sportsnet, that the Jays placed Wells and McDonald on waivers.

Anybody else hear this, and know why they've done this? Like I said I just heard about it, haven't heard anything about why.

Just about everyone gets placed on waivers this time of the year. Mcdonald might get moved 'cause he cleared, nobody will take Wells' contract though.

It looks like Glavine's done. Smoltz is probably done also. If anything is right in this world then Greg Maddux will retire after this year. I've never been a Braves fan but it'd be really nice for those three to go into the HoF together.

Is anybody else as impressed with Sabathia's performance in Milwaukee as I am? Watched the game last night, he pitched all nine innings and had a few key hits too.

He has a 1.60 era and an 8-0 record...I'm impressed.

I think the problem is the Jays need a new GM. I know the Jays are never going to be "the" team in Toronto, but a GM shouldn't be able to get away with saying a player doesn't like the sport and that's why he wouldn't want him on the team. JP then pretty much repeated what all the idiots say about Dunn, "But he strikes out a lot!"

I've said before that JP should have been fired the day after those comments, completely unbelievable. He got goaded into them by some random fan on a radio call in show who was questioning (rightfully so) why the offense was so bad, and why they wouldn't want to look into getting a guy like Dunn. Losing your cool on air to a fan for no apparent reason, and then dumping on a player from another team that you've never even met? One of the most unprofessional moves I've ever seen from a pro sports GM.

mik, who knew you were such a romantic?

That would be pretty cool.....

Maddux is going to LA it seems. Maybe MLB is trying to make it happen, putting his arm in Torre's hands.

Yeah, unless Torre blows out his arm, he probably has two years left. Though his ERA was 5.75away from Petco. Not that Dodgers stadium is a hitters park.