Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fletch

Roller Hockey in the Olympics - why not?

Does Phelps need 8 different swimming events? Talk about dumb events.

Your comment makes no sense. Sure, Phelps won them, but what if he hadn't? Its not like the other competitors did not train hard in an effort to win the events.

And if you are saying that, then how about track? Are all of the events "dumb" too?

I've heard people talk about the swimming also, that theres too many swimming events around the same distance which has lead to this 8 gold spree in 1 Olympics. It probobly wouldn't have even come to anyones attention if someone hadn't won all 8 but... here we are.

I don't really have an opinion on it, I could argue for both sides that when Phelps is gone you'll have more single gold medal winners in swimming because not everyone's a freak that can dominate every event and you therefore get to see who is technically the best at specific events, but then also does it not make a gold medal less special knowing that theres 8 going around exactly like it in similar events?

Does Phelps need 8 different swimming events? Talk about dumb events.

Your comment makes no sense. Sure, Phelps won them, but what if he hadn't? Its not like the other competitors did not train hard in an effort to win the events.

And if you are saying that, then how about track? Are all of the events "dumb" too?

I'm pretty sure that comment would belong in the Misc. Discussions in the Olympic thread rather than one talking about Roller Hockey.

what's up with handball, rhythmic gymnastics (or any gymnastics)

I agree with everything sed but womens gymnastics. No man in the U.S should question womens gymnastics even if you dont know squat about it. just watch the three (hot) women gymnists on team usa. after watching them you may never want to turn the tv off. (untill the mens gymnastics in which case you should imediatly turn tv off)

My comment about Phelps was just to make an example of how all these sports have scattered into little events. Judo for example with all the medals for every 4 kilo class (and 2 bronze medals per event). For swimming the same, and yes also athletics. I want to see the pure form of a sport. Who can swim the fastest? Who can run the fastest? Who is the best boxer? Of course there could be a sprint and a longer distance for swimming. But why all the different strokes?

Now for roller hockey, it is a distinct different sport. The olympic committee should evaluate all sports and shrink them a little. And then add some new distinct ones. Like they did with bmx. Just add roller hockey, lacrosse, skateboarding (half-pipe). And they should keep baseball and rugby.

if roller sports were to get a chance to have a sport in the olympics it would be in this order, this is the order of our own so-called NGB

1. artistic (figure for quads)

2. speedskating

DFL - hockey (inline)

I'm surprised that roller hockey is not going to be in London 2012 as popularity of the sport where i live (there are two rinks -TWO!) is insane. Both rinks are packed on game-days and the sport is played on a high level (GB in 18s - senior level consistently getting medals in the FIRS world championships).

I'm surprised (due to the chance of gaining medals in 2012) that the government isn't pushing the Olympic committee to make roller hockey an Olympic sport for 2012. Amongst that, the facilities for the sport would improve and as a country we would be better at the sport. Look at the Velodrome created for the Commonwealth games in Manchester and relate that to GBs recent success at cycling.

i just saw that too - do they mean like roller skating dancing or x-games type of stuff or what?

i can't figure out what type of activities they would be doing.

No, he wass talking about the two slots open (baseball/softball gone) and all of the sports that could fill those slots. Rollerskating could be one of them. My guess would be artistic or speedskating.

what's up with handball, rhythmic gymnastics (or any gymnastics), trampoline, and those already mentioned being there before inline hockey?

Pretty ridiculous to question gymnastics, it's probably the second biggest event at the games next to track and field in terms of popularity.

Roller hockey would be sweet...I say they put that in and get rid of one of the dumb sailing events. Do they really need 11 different sailing events? C'mon.

my beef with gymnastics has nothing to do with how popular it is or how talented gymnasts are. I dont think any event in which a winner is chosen by a group of judges can be called a "sport". IMHO, gymnastics, diving, etc are artistic performances. in swimming, track and field, etc. one athlete proves he/she is the best, while artistic sports are subject to faulty scoring systems and biased judges.

here's the thing, I really don't think being an Olympic sport would really change how people see the game of roller hockey anyways...

roller hockey is a big deal in only a handful of countries...just because its big in N.America doesn't mean a thing

I'm surprised that roller hockey is not going to be in London 2012 as popularity of the sport where i live (there are two rinks -TWO!) is insane. Both rinks are packed on game-days and the sport is played on a high level (GB in 18s - senior level consistently getting medals in the FIRS world championships).

I'm surprised (due to the chance of gaining medals in 2012) that the government isn't pushing the Olympic committee to make roller hockey an Olympic sport for 2012. Amongst that, the facilities for the sport would improve and as a country we would be better at the sport. Look at the Velodrome created for the Commonwealth games in Manchester and relate that to GBs recent success at cycling.

I completely agree. Having new venues in UK can only help roller hockey grow. It really is a shame the government isnt trying to get roller hockey made into an olympic sport, as the olympics is one of the biggest sporting stages in the world and including it might just get people to notice what a great sport it is. Then again, it might not...

their voting on it in 3 months w/ the olympic commitie, they are also voting on roller dancing w/ it. Their might be a chance of it happening to since baseball and softball will not be an olympic sport.

how many ancillary sports did you see on TV during the Olympics where you live?

For us here in the US it was

Michael Phelps * 100

Usain Bolt

Foreign peeps with crazy stories

T&F

Ceremonies

30 seconds of team handball, etc