Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CapsFan

8 guys on every beer league team

I got in the habit of grabbing a shower when I got home from hockey until I ended up with an infected sweat gland under my armpit. It took three months of antibiotics and steroid cream to go away. Now I rinse off at the rink and shower when I get home because I don't ever want to go through that again.

On my team it is mandatory that you take showers after games. Our school is scared of MRSA, we are even supposed to spray our equipment after skates with this antibacterial something-or-other.

And I'll go ahead and say it, I was the ringer in my one season of beer league. But the talent is somewhat poor in Jackson so that isn't saying much. Free beer at 19 years old was very inviting.

well at least you guys have a locker room, let alone a shower.

No shower facilities at the rinks here in Perth, and the change area is just screened off from the spectators by a huge black curtain. I normally get the gear off, straight home, unload the bag to air the gear then straight into a long hot shower.

Cant say much for the guys who do stay behind to have a couple of beers...

Our rink is 70 years old, I get the feeling the shower used to be a broom closet. Plus teenagers sneak in there during general sessions and either wack off or get it on. The shower grosses me out and I never use it. I'd rather stink then catch whats growing in that cesspool.

I have to shower any time I go and play whether its a game or just a stick and puck session, I just cant put my cloths on after playing it's just stinky and sticky and you feel like crap, showers after hockey are a must.

I work part time at the rink I work at as an assistant manager & we have the showers bleached/disinfected at least once a week. We "clean" them nightly. So, I don't mind showering there. Now one of the other rinks has a toilet right next to the to shower heads. You could turn the shower head to take a shower and a dump at the same time. That one is a little rough, especially when there is no warm water. That would probably be appealing to my brother-in-law who seriously showers after every deuce he drops. Obsessed with cleanliness.

That would probably be appealing to my brother-in-law who seriously showers after every deuce he drops. Obsessed with cleanliness.

at this point, since we're so amazingly far off topic, i might as well throw in a plug for baby wipes. although the fact you know his bathroom habits is a little bit disconcerting :]

What's next? I'm guessing you think you don't need to wear deodorant because only stinky people need that. I see you live in Florida too, it could still be 80 degrees out when your game is over and that doesn't bother you that you are still covered in disgusting hockey sweat, its not like up here where every drop of water freezes on you if you step outside after the game.

I just dont think you get it. We do shower after every game. I go from a cold rink to an air conditioned car for a 7 minute drive home to a CLEAN shower, with my soap, my shampoo, and more hot water. The deodorant analogy is laughable. There are people who dont wear deodorant because they dont have underarm odor. We sweat at hockey, and we shower, just not with you. I just dont understand why you think this is wrong. I am coming up with very few justifications for your obsession that everybody shower with you at the rink.

1) you like to shower with the guys on your team.

2) you need your men to be clean and smell pretty when you get close to them.

3) Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Must be #3...LOL

There is no logic at all in your position.

Your only problem is that other people (Not you) shower after you do, in another location. I shower 7 minutes after you would, just at home. What is the difference if I had a beer in the locker room and didnt get out of my equipment for 7 minutes? Is there any real difference? No. Your issue is that we are wallowing in filth....you mean like you just did for an hour and a half on the rink? In equipment that most assuredly is not washed with detergent after every skate. Hypocrite perhaps? You put that dirty equipment on after it was sweated in for an hour and it was only dried overnight?? Ewwww. Hockey is a disgusting sport...deal with it. Sounds like you would much rather be playing cricket.

I just happen to put on clothes that are in the hamper seven minutes later, and I am in a much cleaner shower in the comfort of my own home.

And my car smells clean....like an Irish Spring!

I feel bad for the parents that had to drive you around during your minor hockey days. It's practically unheard of for anyone to not shower after hockey around here. Everyone gets tired of those guys real fast. I'm done with this old man, you'll never be able to convince me it isn't gross to not shower after hockey, and many others I'm sure for that matter.

Where does it say anywhere that anyone DOESNT shower after a game? We just dont like showering in cesspools with guys that seem WAYYY too adamant about everyone showering together. I guess we will just have to agree to disagree, as I dont like sausage parties in a scum covered shower, and you do. To each their own I guess, and I respect that. You should try and respect us too...the ones that dont like to shower in disgusting facilities with guys that seem to have a real interest in showering with them.

The only reason I "play hockey" is for the showers afterwards with the guys!

oh wait.... :o

no, but I don't see how dirty showers can deter you from taking a shower. I wear sandals in the shower... I never once actually touch the shower with a part of my body except to turn the water on. I play at a college rink so the showers are clean anyway. I also have a 20 minute ride home, so i shower after i play.

I only didn't shower immediately after hockey one time... and that was a disgusting ride home.

Back in my roller hockey days there weren't showers. And we sat around 2-3 hours every night after the game throwing down brews. Sometimes hit the local pub. Who cares if we stink. It's not like we were out fishing for females.

Now that I'm back to ice, I shower after ever drop-in, stick n puck, game, etc. On days I've forgotten the towel, soap/shampoo, I just make sure to try and get off as much sweat as possible. BTW, it's not the sweat that causes problems it's the bacteria from either the gear or that's built up on the body throughout the day or over night. You also need to be careful about any cuts/sores etc because staph infections can kill you in a hurry if it gets in your blood stream. I don't recall the players, but a few NHL players have been close to losing limbs and/or their lives due to staph infections.

As far as chicks in the room, I've been there done that. I'm not naked guy but if some chick is going to be in the room then so be it. I'll turn my back or do the towel trick but I really don't care if she catches a glimpse or gets an eyeful. A locker room is a locker room and people are going to be naked. Get over it.

My new goal is to fill every one of the 8 roles at some time before I die...

So far, I have been the tardy goalie (when the real goalie doesn't show up and I have to go the pro shop to rent gear), the ringer, the young guy, the guy with the new girlfriend -> newlywed, and in a few years I can be the old guy.

Who am I kidding, I am already the old guy. The average age on my team is 18 years younger than me.

I played on a co-ed team once, and the guys would shower and casually strut around naked in front of the girls, so I guess I was also the naked guy +1.

(And, now I have added to the shower-after-the-game-in-the-grungy-showers sub-discussion.)

Now that I am admittedly the old guy I have a chance to become the complete psycho if I get a few more knocks in the head and/or keep abusing my brain.

No ones adamant about showering together, but showering in general. I used to care about the whole 'showering with dudes' thing, but i want to get the filth of my gear off of me more than i care about that now.

I just think its gross to get that smell in your car, on your seats, etc etc.

But... whatever floats your boat.

Yeah, I think you're taking the "showering together" argument too far, Eric.

Just curious - did you ever play a high level of competitive hockey? Not insulting you, just curious - I notice that adults who never did tend not to not shower at the rink.

I do, I hate being smelly and it also gives me a chance to loosen my muscles after a game. If I don't shower afterwards, I will cramp up.