Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Allsmokenopancake

2009 Washington Capitals thread

Hmm interesting. I wonder what they'll do for Backstrom. Right now it appears he's worth $6 million, especially if he keeps developing. I'd be kinda wary of signing him for much more though. What if he plateaus and doesn't do well, then he's practically untradeable with a salary that high. I think Semin's worth the $5+ million, but he needs to drink more milk or something. He could be so much more of an impact player if he wasn't so injury prone.

If Scott Niedermayer has been rumored to be going somewhere else, maybe the Caps can hook him with some big money? He's not as tough as Pronger (even though I hate Pronger), but he's good defensively and really good offensively. I think he'd be a good fit for the Caps run-and-gun style. Him and Mike Green on the powerplay with Backstrom, Semin, and Ovechkin would be scary.

Do you guys think the Caps need someone tougher though? Erskine and Jurcina are big but they don't really intimidate anyone. I watched most of the Caps games this year but I'm not sure just adding a big tough guy is going to solve the defensive problems. I think they need a more solid defense system or someone who is just better overall defensively. Preferably they need someone who can do both (ala Pronger). Not only did the odd-man rushes against the Pens kill them, but the overall lack of attention on Crosby hanging out at the crease was ridiculous.

Scott Neidermeyer in a Caps jersey? Doubt it would happen but I'd love every minute of it.

As for enforcer. I think Erskine can do the job but my only concerns about his is that sitting a D man down for 5 mins isn't desirable. I don't know if its a whole that has to be filled for next season.

Ovie, Erskine, Clark, Brads and the rest can pretty much handle their own. And adding a heavy weight only takes minutes away from the guys that put the puck in the net.

I'll miss Brash but don't think he is needed next year or a replacement is needed.

Hmm interesting. I wonder what they'll do for Backstrom. Right now it appears he's worth $6 million, especially if he keeps developing. I'd be kinda wary of signing him for much more though. What if he plateaus and doesn't do well, then he's practically untradeable with a salary that high. I think Semin's worth the $5+ million, but he needs to drink more milk or something. He could be so much more of an impact player if he wasn't so injury prone.

Backstrom is going to be one of the elite centers in the game for a long time

His first season in the league, he had 69 points, 55 assists, and 6 points in 7 playoff games

His second season in the league, he had 88 points, 22 goals, 66 assists, and 15 points in 14 playoff games.

His faceoff percentage has improved steadily (especially since christmas of this season), but dipped a little in the playoffs.

He plays fearless, and while he isn't a big body he can take an incredible beating while still holding the puck, and making smart plays while under duress.

He has some of the best hockey intelligence in the game, and is sound on both ends of the ice.

I think he is the best all round player on the caps team, by a long shot.

Of course, I have a bias, but I think $7 mil for him on a long term deal will end up being a steal (if that can be called a steal)

Fehr may not be ready for training camp...

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/capitalsi...er-surgery.html

Fehr Has Shoulder Surgery

There's a chance that Eric Fehr won't be ready for the start of training camp, I'm hearing. The right wing had surgery on both of his shoulders two weeks ago -- the result of separate injuries he suffered during the regular season and playoffs -- and is expected to miss anywhere from three to six months.

The team is hopeful that Fehr's recovery will be quick and that he'll be ready to get back on the ice before September. But there's no guarantee that will happen.

The surgery was to repair a torn labrum in each shoulder.

I'm also hearing that center David Steckel had surgery to straighten out a previously broken finger. That, however, was considered to be a minor procedure.

Savard to DC?

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/hockey/...multiyear_deal/

With the B's locking up David Krejci to a new 3-year deal today, it became clearer that one of Phil Kessel or Marc Savard may have to be traded this off-season to stay under the salary cap.

here is a quote from The Boston Herald regarding Savard:

Speculation also persists that center Marc Savard, who at season’s end indicated a willingness at least to consider waiving his no-trade contract (he has one year left at $5 million) so that he could play elsewhere, will be moved.

“Peter obviously has a tough job ahead,” Savard said after the B’s premature playoff exit in a seven-game, second-round series against the Carolina Hurricanes. “I don’t know how it’s going to shake out or what’s going to happen.”

Personally I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Interesting. If the Caps will have that much cap space he could be worth it. He'll have one year left so if he doesn't do well, trade him/let him go after the season. He'd work out well on the 1st/2nd line, taking away a lot of pressure from Backstrom. I haven't seen him play very much, but I assume he's decent on the power play too?

Kessel would be sweet too. Ovechkin, Semin, and Kessel??

I wouldnt want Kessel on the Caps. Savard however would be great. He really learned how to play defense in boston and would help the overall team defense. That said, Feds would not be resigned then, and the caps would have to look within for help on the blueline. I think its time we put some youth on the back end like we did up front. Alzner will be a mainstay and maybe another will impress at camp.

I wouldnt want Kessel on the Caps. Savard however would be great. He really learned how to play defense in boston and would help the overall team defense. That said, Feds would not be resigned then, and the caps would have to look within for help on the blueline. I think its time we put some youth on the back end like we did up front. Alzner will be a mainstay and maybe another will impress at camp.

I think we will see Alzner and Carlson next year on the blue line.

As for Savard with Feds and Kozzy gone and prob Brash we have the supposed room.

I'm not a fan of Savard the cheapshot when no ones looking guy, but he sure can pass

Ovechkin-Backstrom

Semin-Savard

That would be some set up/scoring tandem

If clark is back to 100%, drop him on the 2nd line to go to the net and get the rebounds, worked out for him to the tune of 30 goals with Ovechkin before

I hear that argument about Clark all the time but that was 2 years ago now on an under achieving young team and hes only played 50 games since. It was possible for him to hop on to a production line back then but now I think it's time for him to reminisce about "that" season and play some 3rd line hockey.

I hear that argument about Clark all the time but that was 2 years ago now on an under achieving young team and hes only played 50 games since. It was possible for him to hop on to a production line back then but now I think it's time for him to reminisce about "that" season and play some 3rd line hockey.

+1 Give that old role to a Laich or a Steckel

Well, it's official....

http://www.japersrink.com/

VIKTOR KOZLOV CONTINUES HIS CAREER WITH UFA

HC Salavat Yulaev has signed a 3 year contract with forward Viktor Kozlov.

Viktor Nikolaevich Kozlov is a student of the "Lada" hockey school. He was born on February 14, 1975 in Togliatti. He plays a center forward position. In the 1993 NHL draft he was chosen sixth overall in the first round by the San Jose Sharks. On 13 November 1997 he was traded to the Florida Panthers, and on 1 March 2004 to the New Jersey Devils. On 13 September 2006 he signed with the New York Islanders as an unrestricted free agent. His last few years have been with the Washington Capitals

Any new news on Feds? Obviously $4 mil a year is too much for him at this point in his career but he's my favorite player and I'd hate to see him leave the NHL :(

Any new news on Feds? Obviously $4 mil a year is too much for him at this point in his career but he's my favorite player and I'd hate to see him leave the NHL :(

I honestly get the feeling he has played his last NHL game, unless he comes back for one of those incentive deals that he can get given his age now. The caps have some deadwood on the roster with nylander, so need to be really fiscally prudent, which means Fedorov can't get anywhere close to what he got.

That being said, I would LOVE to see him back for the caps. The guy is an absolute legend, and to see him in warmups and practices, not even the games, has just been great. I've got a few videos I shot of him at training camp and practices, he's just great

I honestly get the feeling he has played his last NHL game, unless he comes back for one of those incentive deals that he can get given his age now. The caps have some deadwood on the roster with nylander, so need to be really fiscally prudent, which means Fedorov can't get anywhere close to what he got.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=281452

I feel like he will come back for 1 more year for a last shot at the cup, then move on to the KHL to finish his career.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=281452

I feel like he will come back for 1 more year for a last shot at the cup, then move on to the KHL to finish his career.

Brisson is trying to cash in. Fedorov is currently in Russia, talking to KHL clubs with "another agent".

Brisson want's one last cut of the Sergie pie, so is trying to get him a sweetheart deal here.

He has 3 cups, and a place in the hall of fame locked up. He doesnt' need the money, and if he wants to play productive hockey with his brother, then he will not be back.

If the caps give him a penny more than $2.5 mil, I would be pissed.

I would still love to see him back here though