Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Allsmokenopancake

2009 Washington Capitals thread

Good to know. Now if someone can educate me on JR's last name, it seriously has drove me crazy since I joined.

I think its boo-sea-cuu

But you're irish. So god knows what that actually sounds like when you say it.

sarge is the scratch today

I'll miss the game, I've a league game at fairfax at 4

You lied to me ASNP :(. Pothier was the itchy.

Anyways, nice to see Theo get the assist on Laich's EN... right after getting the assist on Slava Kozlov's goal....

sarge is the scratch today

I'll miss the game, I've a league game at fairfax at 4

You lied to me ASNP :(. Pothier was the itchy.

Anyways, nice to see Theo get the assist on Laich's EN... right after getting the assist on Slava Kozlov's goal....

Sorry man, I was just going by the game day story on the caps home page.

Did anyone go to the game and purchase any of the used/new game sticks?

My gf's parents went and tried to pick some up but all the Green and Semin sticks were gone. They did get her a nice Fehr S17 that was signed and I tried to get them to pick me up any RH S17 unfortunately I don't think I explained it too well as I got a Laich S17 that turns out to be broken in almost half.

The Fehr stick is probably one of the stiffest S17's I have ever felt and with very little curve. He also has a special grit on the blade that wasn't from tape as most of the tape was removed. It was pretty interesting.

My gf's parents went and tried to pick some up but all the Green and Semin sticks were gone. They did get her a nice Fehr S17 that was signed and I tried to get them to pick me up any RH S17 unfortunately I don't think I explained it too well as I got a Laich S17 that turns out to be broken in almost half.

The Fehr stick is probably one of the stiffest S17's I have ever felt and with very little curve. He also has a special grit on the blade that wasn't from tape as most of the tape was removed. It was pretty interesting.

I didn't get, but one of the guys on my fairfax team was there. He said the sticks were priced according to "star" rating, so the Semin/Backstrom sticks were $399 (40% off)

He picked up 2 Fehr S17's for $89 each. He said the Fehr curve is similar to the iginla, which is what he uses, and it's by far the lightest stick he's ever held.

I didn't get, but one of the guys on my fairfax team was there. He said the sticks were priced according to "star" rating, so the Semin/Backstrom sticks were $399 (40% off)

He picked up 2 Fehr S17's for $89 each. He said the Fehr curve is similar to the iginla, which is what he uses, and it's by far the lightest stick he's ever held.

Did he get new ones? My gf's one was signed. If he doesn't like them let me know because while my gf who is in love with Fehr wouldn't let me play around with it too much I think it would be a nice stick to use as I just broke my one90.

Did he get new ones? My gf's one was signed. If he doesn't like them let me know because while my gf who is in love with Fehr wouldn't let me play around with it too much I think it would be a nice stick to use as I just broke my one90.

He hasn't played with them yet, but I will let you know if he is looking to unload them

also has a special grit on the blade that wasn't from tape as most of the tape was removed. It was pretty interesting.

That's Z-Tac coating. It is literally like a skateboarder's grip tape that is applied to both sides of the blade either in replacement of tape or then taped over. Mike Green uses the same stuff.

also has a special grit on the blade that wasn't from tape as most of the tape was removed. It was pretty interesting.

That's Z-Tac coating. It is literally like a skateboarder's grip tape that is applied to both sides of the blade either in replacement of tape or then taped over. Mike Green uses the same stuff.

Ah thanks ... I knew someone here would know the answer. Very interesting texture type stuff.

Currently being voted on at tsn.ca

Who will win the Norris Trophy as the league's top defense player?

MIKE GREEN -56.5%

ZDENO CHARA -28.9%

NICKLAS LIDSTROM -14.5%

The boys at TSN also voted OV for the 1st back to back MVP since Khabibulin, and Green for the Norris over Chara.

I think MVP for Ovie should be a lock by now. While I'd love Greenie to get the Norris winning over Chara will be hard. Chara is well rounded D man that brings a lot to the table. Green has had an amazing season but unfortunately at the same time as many of the great D men Lidstom and Chara have.

I think Green is a norris winner for sure. Chara and Lidstrom have had great seasons, yet they always do. Green has contributed on all levels to helping his team win, and how can you not honour only the 8th d man to break thirty goals in a season?

As for Ovie, if he passes Malkin I wouldn't question giving him the MVP

I think Green is a norris winner for sure. Chara and Lidstrom have had great seasons, yet they always do. Green has contributed on all levels to helping his team win, and how can you not honour only the 8th d man to break thirty goals in a season?

Because he still isn't very good on his own half of the ice. He has improved quite a bit, but he's still no better than average in his own end.

Because he still isn't very good on his own half of the ice. He has improved quite a bit, but he's still no better than average in his own end.

While that is an argument used a lot on the Caps message boards I don't buy that he is no better than "average". Greenie plays some of the most minutes of any of our D men including a lot of time on the PK. So he is up against some of the best lines of opposing teams. He also has a lot of take aways and one of the highest +/- on the team.

Not to mention his strongest defensive skill is one of his best offensive skills and that is transitioning the puck from the defensive zone to the offensive zone either via skating it out or outlet pass.

I am not saying he is a Top 5 defenseman based on his D alone but he is a lot better than he often gets credit for because he is an offensive defenseman.

While that is an argument used a lot on the Caps message boards I don't buy that he is no better than "average". Greenie plays some of the most minutes of any of our D men including a lot of time on the PK. So he is up against some of the best lines of opposing teams. He also has a lot of take aways and one of the highest +/- on the team.

I agree with the rest of what you wrote, but if you look at the stats, on short handed time on the ice per game, green was 6th on the team.

Poti, Schultz and Mo are ahead of him in regulars, and Alzner and Sloan are ahead on callups (56 games between them, so even call him 5th in ice time)

Poti - 4.22 SH/g

Sarge - 3.19 SH/g

Alzner - 3.09 SH/g

Mo - 2.56 SH/g

Sloan - 2.28 SH/g

Green - 2.24 SH/g

He plays huge minutes on the PP with 5.28 PP/g, the next D man with more than 15 games this season in ice time is Poti with 1.26 PP/g.

And I agree, he has a lot of takeaways, but is also second only to Markov in terms of giveaways in the entire league, with 94

Don't get me wrong, I've said if he wins the norris, I'll be delighted.

Here's how I see it

Chara - Superb defenseman with decent offensive talent

Green - Decent defenseman with superbt offensive talent

That's not meant as a slight on Green, it's just that in terms of defense, I think Chara is better

All round, well, that's why I think it will become a numbers game.

Is Greens offensive upside better than Charas defensive upside

Are Greens defensive deficencies worse than Charas offensive deficencies

Not to mention his strongest defensive skill is one of his best offensive skills and that is transitioning the puck from the defensive zone to the offensive zone either via skating it out or outlet pass.

At least you admit he's one dimensional.

And I agree, he has a lot of takeaways, but is also second only to Markov in terms of giveaways in the entire league, with 94

How is Duncan Keith not #1 on that list?

For what it's worth, I think Green wins the Norris anyway. I just think one has to be objective in these discussions.