Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Allsmokenopancake

2009 Washington Capitals thread

Let's hope that for the next few years this will the the standard and plus some.

Caps win gives them new franchise record for points with 108 (107 previous record), and tie the franchise record with 50 wins

Its crazy how quickly the teams have switched from bottom to top. good too see, keeps things exciting.

It's that salary cap thing!

Its crazy how quickly the teams have switched from bottom to top. good too see, keeps things exciting.

It's that salary cap thing!

Or the importance that has been put on the draft and developing players (which I guess is a result of the salary cap).

Any one going saturday me and a couple of buddies might take an amtrak train down there if we can get tickets..

If you haven't got tickets already, then you are SOL. It's sold out. You might get some singles on ticketbastard, but I know you can't get any pairs left

A solid amount of people who bought season tickets, and got the early jump on playoff seats are in it to resell... That being said.. if you have the cash then you will find a seat. There are a lot of seats available.

Since I live in the area and know a lot of bartenders in Chinatown, I'm gonna head down there, watch the 1st period at a bar... then try to buy some seats for $20 at the end of the first period... I'm sure the scalpers won't have sold them all, and I'm 100% happy watching it at a bar while drinking for practically nothing.

Boys,

This thread has been my source of nourishment for Capitals information moreso than their website, Cap Chicks' blog, Vogel's abomination of a blog, TSN, etc.

ASNP, HSC23, minwookie, Riseonfire, and everyone else, thank you for all the information I have been able to grab from you guys! Hopefully you learned from me as much as I from you.

A GREAT SEASON BOYS, on the ice and off. A tip of the hat and I will see you next year.

Geoff

I guess since it's not playoff related, I will keep this going until the draft, then we can start next seasons....ALL OVER AGAIN

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/capitalsi...iring.html#more

Sergei Fedorov told a small group of reporters here at KCI moments ago that he has no plans to retire and that he hopes to return for another season with the Caps.

"I cannot imagine myself retired; I don't know why," the 39-year-old veteran said. "I still have got some legs left and I'm still enjoying the game and I'm certainly enjoying this group of young and very talented players. I didn't think about retiring. By saying that, I would like to continue to play. With the young legs around me, it's really helpful."

Fedorov said his agent, Pat Brisson, spoke briefly to GM George McPhee about an extension back in February. But that discussion was put on hold -- at the team's request -- until after the season.

"I haven't met with the coaches or GM yet, but I hope the feeling is mutual because I really enjoy this organization and it's an awesome city to play in, too," Fedorov added.

Fedorov earned $4 million this season and will be an unrestricted free agent this summer. But based on what McPhee and Coach Bruce Boudreau said earlier today, it certainly sounds like there's a good chance Fedorov will be back next season.

I would love to have him back, but hopefully at about half price. He has to realize he is 39, can't play the $4 million game anymore.

$2-2.5 seems fair for his minutes and leadership I think.

I would like to see Feds back next year as well. He'd have to come around 2 million as Smoke said for the Caps to resign him. I dont see him filling the number 2 centre role anymore however. I can only hope and pray that somehow, someway, Nylander is not a Capital next season. Trade him and next years 1st round pick for a bag of pucks.

In Caps-related news, George McPhee says the team has no plans to buy out Michael Nylander’s contract, leaving the only options to either get him to agree to a trade or pay him $4 million+ to sit in the press box.

courtesy of-

A View From The Cheap Seats

in my opinion, caps need to focus on their blue line instead of whos filling the number 2 centerman role. if they do get rid of Nylander, they should use that to invest in a defensive defenceman, not another player like Poti, and not an offensive one like they have in Green

in my opinion, caps need to focus on their blue line instead of whos filling the number 2 centerman role. if they do get rid of Nylander, they should use that to invest in a defensive defenceman, not another player like Poti, and not an offensive one like they have in Green

The caps need puck moving defensemen. Erskine is fine as a defensive defenseman.

It's players like Schultz who can't make a good outlet pass to save himself.

People focus on "defensive defensemen" thinking it's a foil to cure all woes.

Look at the really good shut down d men in this league, Pronger - good offense, good passing, Chara - Same, Regher - same

The caps system is high tempo, if you can't get the pass to your forwards while under duress, you are in the wrong system.

And, even to go with your thinking, defensive defenseman, who is out there that you would invest in, and what do you think they would require, contractually to sign?

Bear in mind that both Semin and Backstrom will be up for contract renewals after next season, so you are going to need somewhere in the $10-$12 million range to keep them in the fold

Priority should be Backstrom .. honestly with never knowing which Semin you are going to get anything over 6 mill would probably be over paying.

He's the kind of player i wouldn't get too upset watching him walk. Obvi friends with ovie and stuff aside for 6 million or more id rather have 2 wingers that go to the net and get 20-30 goals instead of the inconsistent Semin.

yea i guess what i wanna say is they need a more consistant and reliable defenceman, so they dont need to have poti or shultz as number 3 and four dman, which is one of my greates fears, along with spiders :D

The caps need puck moving defensemen. Erskine is fine as a defensive defenseman.

It's players like Schultz who can't make a good outlet pass to save himself.

People focus on "defensive defensemen" thinking it's a foil to cure all woes.

Look at the really good shut down d men in this league, Pronger - good offense, good passing, Chara - Same, Regher - same

The caps system is high tempo, if you can't get the pass to your forwards while under duress, you are in the wrong system.

And, even to go with your thinking, defensive defenseman, who is out there that you would invest in, and what do you think they would require, contractually to sign?

Bear in mind that both Semin and Backstrom will be up for contract renewals after next season, so you are going to need somewhere in the $10-$12 million range to keep them in the fold

McPhee was on NHL live this afternoon and said he thought the defense played well. He said there was no need to bring anyone in and would be content with the same defensive corps that finished the season in Washington. I agree with you that you need a balanced guy and not just some oaf that never leaves his own zone, but they need a serious improvement on the back end and I'm not sure that Alzner alone is enough.

McPhee was on NHL live this afternoon and said he thought the defense played well. He said there was no need to bring anyone in and would be content with the same defensive corps that finished the season in Washington. I agree with you that you need a balanced guy and not just some oaf that never leaves his own zone, but they need a serious improvement on the back end and I'm not sure that Alzner alone is enough.

McPhee also says one thing and does another, so while he said the D played well, I would look to see him try to bring in some outside help via trade.

Anaheim had to send Bobby ryan to the minors because of cap problems at the start of the season. I still think the caps will make a draft day play for Pronger. It's a one year thing, which means his cap hit won't be an issue when Backstrom and Semin need to be resigned.

Caps former draft pick Robert Muller, the goalie, died from a brain tumor.

There were stories about him last season when it was first detected. He came over to a couple of the pre-season camps when they were out in Piney Orchard.

He played 127 games for the German National team, and was in 2 olympic games.

Only 28 years old, with a wife and 2 kids.

Sad