Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Allsmokenopancake

2009 Washington Capitals thread

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=279927

Federov reportedly possible signing with the KHL. While his skills are obviously not what they once were, i would have loved to see him back for one more year at a discount. He has said he LOVED playing with this team and playing in DC.

Sucks as true as I was hoping he would pull a Neidermeyer and sit out for awhile then come back mid-season BUT I am glad we aren't matching that contract.

Bye Fedorov. He's not worth that much money. Use the money from Kozlov and Fedorov to sign a good defenseman.

Yeah I hope its the length he wants us to match not the $$. If he re-signs I'll def get my Feds jersey but I hope we don't try to match that salary.

Anyone see the news on comcast/NBC 4 this morning?

Some 35 year old in Florida was arrested for dealing steroids. They siezed $200,000 in illegal steroids, and he has apparently been selling to both the Washingon Nationals and Capitals.

Eliot from DC101 had e-mailed Ted, who said they were in the info gathering stages at the minute.

This could be big

Anyone see the news on comcast/NBC 4 this morning?

Some 35 year old in Florida was arrested for dealing steroids. They siezed $200,000 in illegal steroids, and he has apparently been selling to both the Washingon Nationals and Capitals.

Eliot from DC101 had e-mailed Ted, who said they were in the info gathering stages at the minute.

This could be big

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_dadd...?urn=nhl,166076

Yeah I am not liking the sound of this. If true I expect a full refund for my season tickets.

Hopefully he is talking about FORMER caps now in florida, Halpern, Eminger, Pettinger etc

And/or Zednik. That would make more sense to me but I have a hard time saying he sold steroids to players and then mentioning the Nationals.

If he sold them steroids they obviously suck and he should be in trouble cuz they are awful.

This news if confirmed will really ruin my 22nd birthday.

Brooksy just had an interview with Tarik (Caps beat reporter). really good read.

Quick summary: nothing happened that he noticed. They have a close lockeroom and it would've been noticed. No idea if this guy was talking about Caps players 10 years ago or 5. Thinks the guy is trying to cover his tail. Players get tested 3x a year and no positives.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/capitalsi...rried.html#more

NHL's Statement

"The Washington Capitals have no knowledge of any aspect of this allegation. Capitals players were subjected to no-notice testing three times in each of the past two seasons pursuant to the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement and there was no indication of any improper conduct or wrongdoing.

"Even though there are no specifics provided in the story and we have no reason, at this point, to believe the allegations are true, the National Hockey League takes all matters of this nature very seriously and will conduct a prompt investigation."

-- Bill Daly, NHL deputy commissioner

Capitals' Statement

"We have no reason to believe there is any merit to this story, but the National Hockey League and the Washington Capitals take all such allegations seriously. Capitals players have fully participated in the NHL's random drug testing program, and at no point has a Capitals player tested positive. In addition our players have been tested at international events, such as World Championships and Olympics. We welcome and will fully cooperate with the NHL's investigation."

-- Dick Patrick, Washington Capitals president

OV, have you been bad?

hopefully for hockey it is not true, that OV or any other star is not on steroids but i've heard OV steroid rumors since he entered the league and 2 Russians leaving right after the season . . . starting to look suspicious :huh:

Please use your head a little more before you make these assumptions.

Kozlov

Fedorov

And just to play devils advocate; do you really think that the Russians would use an American source for steroids?

At this point in sports it's never a shock to hear someone using steroids, but for the sake of hockey let's hope that at the most this will be an isolated irrelevant incident.

OV, have you been bad?

hopefully for hockey it is not true, that OV or any other star is not on steroids but i've heard OV steroid rumors since he entered the league and 2 Russians leaving right after the season . . . starting to look suspicious :huh:

Please use your head a little more before you make these assumptions.

Kozlov

Fedorov

And just to play devils advocate; do you really think that the Russians would use an American source for steroids?

At this point in sports it's never a shock to hear someone using steroids, but for the sake of hockey let's hope that at the most this will be an isolated irrelevant incident.

OV, have you been bad?

With the way russian newspapers have been leaking stories relating to russian hockey players, I think an american source would look pretty good. I hope the steroid thing doesn't blow up in the NHL. These guys sometimes play 4 games in 7 nights in 3 cities. I mean, a single regular season positive test.........?

To add to this, Daren Dreger on TSN reports that not all NHL teams are tested three times during a season. Some teams (10) were tested just once..... I'll bet that the 10 teams were large market US teams...

Bill Daly came out and said the Caps were tested 3 times in each of the last 2 years. Don't know if he was just putting the best spin on it possible, or if the Caps did luck out and were one of the 10 teams in each of the last 2 years.

One thing is for certain, if there is a "list" of teams that includes frequency of testing/test dates, the information can find its way back to the players.

According to this article http://news.neilrogers.com/news/articles/2005072828.html you get tested a maximun of two times a year in the NHL (which is a slight contradiction to the frequency as reported byTSN). Also the test is a urine test which is useless to detect HGH.

I really hope there are no marqee names that come out of this sting.

One thing is for certain, if there is a "list" of teams that includes frequency of testing/test dates, the information can find its way back to the players.

According to this article http://news.neilrogers.com/news/articles/2005072828.html you get tested a maximun of two times a year in the NHL (which is a slight contradiction to the frequency as reported byTSN). Also the test is a urine test which is useless to detect HGH.

I really hope there are no marqee names that come out of this sting.

Well since the guy lives in Florida, dates back over 10 years odds are good it could be a lot of the former Caps players that may be down in Florida now: Eminger, Zednik, Pettinger, maybe even Olie ....

I hope not but it really was an open ended blanket statement to just throw out there.

Nylander perhaps trying to make the swedish olympic team will play in russia with Jagr next season. One can only hope

http://74.125.115.132/translate_c?hl=sv&am...1vMeuQFjwE6dSQg

Tsentrforvard "Washington" and defender Michael Nyulander "Carolina" Frantisek Kaberle may be players Omsk "Avangard" this summer.

"Я слышал эту информацию. Но пока рано о чём-то говорить. "Каролина" играет в плей-офф, и Франтишек думает только о Кубке Стэнли. И он хочет остаться в НХЛ. Но, конечно, нельзя исключать иного хода событий", - заявил отец Каберле в интервью Deniksport.cz. "I heard this information. But it is a bit early for something to say." Caroline "plays in the play-offs, and Francis thinks only about the Stanley Cup." And he wants to stay in the NHL. But, of course, can not be ruled out a course of events " - Kaberle father said in an interview Deniksport.cz. Нюландер имеет ещё два года действующего контракта с "Вашингтоном", по которому должен получить более 8 миллионов долларов. Nyulander has two more years of the contract with Washington, which must receive more than 8 million dollars.

"Пока не знаю, что произойдёт. Но Омск ищет действительно классных игроков для усиления состава", - добавил агент нападающего "Авангарда" Яромира Ягра Ярослав Зидек . "While I do not know what will happen. But Omsk looking for really great players to strengthen the staff," - added agent forward "Avangard" Yagra Jaromir Jaroslav Zidek

Isn't he a cap hit of over $4 million?? That could go a long ways towards finding someone that actually plays. Man the Caps are gonna have all sorts of cap space to play around with if he leaves. Fedorov was almost $4 million too, right?

Isn't he a cap hit of over $4 million?? That could go a long ways towards finding someone that actually plays. Man the Caps are gonna have all sorts of cap space to play around with if he leaves. Fedorov was almost $4 million too, right?

4.2 for nyles I believe.

Yes no Feds, Brash, Nyles and Kozy = almost 12 million

But there are holes to fill.

Nylander was/is a $4.875 mil cap hit. Fedorov is $4 mil, Kozlov is $2.5 mil. If the caps trade Theo and go with Johnny/Varly, that's another $4.5 off the books.

Now, that's a lot of what ifs but if the above happens, that gives the caps $15.875 mil. Semin and backstrom need signing after next season (hopefully before it)

Semin is currently a $4.6 mil hit, I see that going to about $5.5. Backstrom is currently a $2.4 hit, I see that going to about $6-$7.5 depending on the term length

So they will need about $6-7 mil of that to cover their contracts next season.

That still leaves money to do a big trade (pronger type) for a year or to get a solid #2 center for a 3/4 year deal.

Again, lots of ifs ands or buts, but they need to get some breaks cap wise if they want to improve on last season

4.2 for nyles I believe.

Yes no Feds, Brash, Nyles and Kozy = almost 12 million

But there are holes to fill.

Nyles was a 4 year $19.5 mil deal (remember the oil offered $21 mil, people thought they were getting a bargain)

That is a $4.875 mil hit