Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Blackstone Flat-Bottom V Thread

FBV getting attention in mainstream media

http://www.thespec.com/Sports/article/515417

That's an article you will never see in the US. Good balance but it's a shame the writer wasn't able to offer his impressions of the FBV.

The author is a goalie...he's also a beat writer for the Bulldogs...If I run into him at a Dogs game I'll ask him if he's used it yet, and what he thinks of it.

FBV getting attention in mainstream media

http://www.thespec.com/Sports/article/515417

That's an article you will never see in the US. Good balance but it's a shame the writer wasn't able to offer his impressions of the FBV.

The author is a goalie...he's also a beat writer for the Bulldogs...If I run into him at a Dogs game I'll ask him if he's used it yet, and what he thinks of it.

He actually had it put on his kids skates and I guess it worked out.

I need to get me a back-up pair of steel. I'm skating on nitinol blades which uses a different wheel. My players like the FBV, but I can't try it out yet b/c of my blades. farking eye.

For those shops that have FBV...do you charge a premium for it...or the same as a 'regular' sharpen?

It depends. Techically, I think you should, as the materials are expensive and it's a premium sharpening you're offerring (Mercedes vs. Chevrolet)

I do free sharpenings on occasions. The guy who got for first sharpening free is now paying me $7 per sharpening.

I always do it for free for friends, but that's another story.

Edited by Ivan

Finally found my FBV spinners, Blackstone had my old address on file and I had to track them to my old townhouse complex. The box was just sitting on the floor in the office. The best part was getting an edge back on my skates again just in time for a playoff game. I had been going without a sharpening since the Michigan game. I almost forgot how magical the glide really is on fresh edges.

Finally found my FBV spinners, Blackstone had my old address on file and I had to track them to my old townhouse complex. The box was just sitting on the floor in the office. The best part was getting an edge back on my skates again just in time for a playoff game. I had been going without a sharpening since the Michigan game. I almost forgot how magical the glide really is on fresh edges.

Seriously. I just swapped steel to my second set... WOW, it felt like the first time on FBV all over again. It's amazing how much difference fresh edges make.

Un-freaking-real! WOW is all I can say after an initial skate on my new Step Steel runners with a 100/75 (1/2" they call it) and 8'/13' combo radius. I was concerned that I may have too much bite but it's just barely short of chattering so I'm happy with them. Great bite cornering and the glide is simply night and day better than my old 7/16" ROH setup. I can't thank Bob at No Icing enough for taking the time to review things when I placed the order. And I had the new runners 3 days later. Needless to say I'll gladly spread the word about the FBV. And my original steel is going to be sent to No Icing to have them done with a 100/75 as well. I think the FBV is the best thing since sliced bread!

X02 Up & Running

Huge thanks to Steve & his crew @ Blackstone for getting me a machine, case & accessory kit within a week.

The yahoos who shipped it couldn't read the "Heavy" and "Fragile" stickers all over the box.

It was dropped at least once wrecking the travel case, but they shipped me a new one straight away.

Took a bit of tinkering but have my X02 dialed in and working great.

-have the stock 1/2", plus 90/75 & 100/75

Some hints to other guys getting set up for the first time:

(especially if you're like me and it has been a few years since you last touched a sharpener)

Make sure the bottom tongs on the holder are square to the base

-one of mine was bent back 10 deg. (most likely in the shipping oops)

>-be gentle adjusting, the holder is a cast piece

Set the Pitch knob to have 1/2"-5/8" clearance from the base

-my spring did not have the tension to hold so I inserted a 3/16" thick washer with a 1/2" opening

>-I have it set at a hair under 9/16"

-Steve was adamant to leave it alone so I made a reference mark in case someone tinkers with it

Get a second hand set of skates for testing & set up (or use the team loudmouth's . . .)

-otherwise a lot of steel may be lost until you get the front height set

Rather than lugging the 45+ lbs when transporting from home to rink, I bought a Stanley FatMax Mobile Project Centre.

Converts from a dolly to a work table at a great height.

Plus can store an extension cord -- who knows where the plugs are in some old barns.

X02 Up & Running

Huge thanks to Steve & his crew @ Blackstone for getting me a machine, case & accessory kit within a week.

The yahoos who shipped it couldn't read the "Heavy" and "Fragile" stickers all over the box.

It was dropped at least once wrecking the travel case, but they shipped me a new one straight away.

Took a bit of tinkering but have my X02 dialed in and working great.

-have the stock 1/2", plus 90/75 & 100/75

Some hints to other guys getting set up for the first time:

(especially if you're like me and it has been a few years since you last touched a sharpener)

Make sure the bottom tongs on the holder are square to the base

-one of mine was bent back 10 deg. (most likely in the shipping oops)

>-be gentle adjusting, the holder is a cast piece

Set the Pitch knob to have 1/2"-5/8" clearance from the base

-my spring did not have the tension to hold so I inserted a 3/16" thick washer with a 1/2" opening

>-I have it set at a hair under 9/16"

-Steve was adamant to leave it alone so I made a reference mark in case someone tinkers with it

Get a second hand set of skates for testing & set up (or use the team loudmouth's . . .)

-otherwise a lot of steel may be lost until you get the front height set

Rather than lugging the 45+ lbs when transporting from home to rink, I bought a Stanley FatMax Mobile Project Centre.

Converts from a dolly to a work table at a great height.

Plus can store an extension cord -- who knows where the plugs are in some old barns.

Great set-up, just a little warning-make sure your extension cord is sufficient gauge or you will burn the electric motor. It will overheat if trying to draw power through a long, undersized cord. Read that shortens the life on a lot of portable power tools, a neighbour almost cooked my $500 Bosch mitre saw building a deck. Complained to me his circuit breaker kept popping. I found his crappy extension cord was hot.....my saw had that electric burning smell.

100/75 (1/2" they call it)

my understanding is that 100/75 from the bite angle alone is closer to 3/8 - not 1/2

just check yourself @ http://www.flatbottomv.com/technical_data.pdf

Yeah, according to the FBV chart:

100/75 fbv = 3/8" roh

100/50 fbv = 5/8" roh

90/75 fbv = 3/4" roh

90/50 fbv = 1 1/8" roh

Just to clarify... it's Bob that calls the 100/75 a 1/2", not me. IMO a 7/16" would be more along the lines of a 100/60 or so.

Great set-up, just a little warning-make sure your extension cord is sufficient gauge or you will burn the electric motor. It will overheat if trying to draw power through a long, undersized cord. Read that shortens the life on a lot of portable power tools, a neighbour almost cooked my $500 Bosch mitre saw building a deck. Complained to me his circuit breaker kept popping. I found his crappy extension cord was hot.....my saw had that electric burning smell.

I know exactly what you are talking about. Blew up a 15A, 3hp router working on a fence.

I use a minimum of 14AWG cords for power tools. Leave the 16 or 18 guage for XMas lights.

The X02 motor is less than 3A so the transmission loss is nothing big even along the 20ft cord I use.

Jordan - sorry no pics.

We moved last summer and the garage is still an embarrassing mess. <_<

But the link for the FatMax 93-292 is:

http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?CA...+Project+Center

Even my seven year old can wheel it in from the parking lot.

At a tournament in Cranbrook, other teams thought we were trying to intimidate them as we rolled in and set up.

Initimidate? For Novice Tier 4? Give me a break . . . :P

100/75 (1/2" they call it)

my understanding is that 100/75 from the bite angle alone is closer to 3/8 - not 1/2

just check yourself @ http://www.flatbottomv.com/technical_data.pdf

Yeah, according to the FBV chart:

100/75 fbv = 3/8" roh

100/50 fbv = 5/8" roh

90/75 fbv = 3/4" roh

90/50 fbv = 1 1/8" roh

Just to clarify... it's Bob that calls the 100/75 a 1/2", not me. IMO a 7/16" would be more along the lines of a 100/60 or so.

To clarify this AGAIN, when I first spoke to Steve at Blackstone, he specifically told me that the 100/75 had grip in the 3/8-1/2" range. As such, we called it the FBV 1/2. On our website we fully describe it as having bite in the 3/8-1/2" range, so there is no confusion to those who order this setting from us. Keep in mind that 99.9% of hockey players do not visit MSH, so they have no clue what a 100/75 means. For shops describing the FBV we have to make it easy to understand for the non gear-whores. Most players don't even understand what a regular hollow is never mind a FBV.

We've found that most skaters who use regular hollows 1/2 or deeper find the 100/75 adequate for grip. That's what's important.

Needless to say I paid online for the FBV treatment on my original Graf steel and it's headed your way tomorrow. ;) :D I still think it's one of the best things I've found. And being an OMF (old mofo) I want every bit of help I can find. :lol:

Needless to say I paid online for the FBV treatment on my original Graf steel and it's headed your way tomorrow. ;) :D I still think it's one of the best things I've found. And being an OMF (old mofo) I want every bit of help I can find. :lol:

If you can bend over and tie your skates without any problems, you are NOT old! Perhaps the FBV will extend your career another 10-20yrs. :-)

If you can bend over and tie your skates without any problems, you are NOT old! Perhaps the FBV will extend your career another 10-20yrs. :-)

Lol... I was away from the game for 34 years, ouch. Played up until high school as we didn't have a high school program back then... unless you wanted to move to the Catholic high school which did have a team. A couple pals did... I couldn't bring myself to do that though. I wanted to enjoy high school, ha ha. As to my age... this is just plain frightening... I'll turn 49 in May. Last fall our little one (now 9 1/2) asked me to take her ice skating... she took right to it... and the bug that I'd been fighting off for the last few years took over and it didn't take me long to remember why I liked hockey... even though the equipment isn't priced like it used to be. Again... you folks there at No Icing have been nothing short of spectacular to work with.

Does anyone have experience with the 90/50? I normally skate on a 3/4" hollow, and I just got the 90/75 on my skates. It feels good, but it has more bite than I'm used to (not necessarily a bad thing). Would the 90/50 feel like it doesn't have enough bite compared to 3/4"?

Lol... I was away from the game for 34 years, ouch. Played up until high school as we didn't have a high school program back then... unless you wanted to move to the Catholic high school which did have a team. A couple pals did... I couldn't bring myself to do that though. I wanted to enjoy high school, ha ha. As to my age... this is just plain frightening... I'll turn 49 in May. Last fall our little one (now 9 1/2) asked me to take her ice skating... she took right to it... and the bug that I'd been fighting off for the last few years took over and it didn't take me long to remember why I liked hockey... even though the equipment isn't priced like it used to be. Again... you folks there at No Icing have been nothing short of spectacular to work with.

I have a guy on my team that's 62 and he still skates better than half of us.