Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Blackstone Flat-Bottom V Thread

I went from a FBV to a regular hollow today and didn't really notice any difference. Our ice isn't that good though

The most improvement I've seen was the super feet insoles

I went from a FBV to a regular hollow today and didn't really notice any difference. Our ice isn't that good though

It all depends on who is doing the FBV there are a few tricks to really getting a solid hollow and making it a noticeable difference!

try going back to the FBV .............see if you notice then!

I got it done at no icing so it should be pretty quality.

I need them to profile another set of runners and I'll get it again.

It could have also been that I went from 9/16 FBV to 1/2. I think I may even try a FBV with a little more bite than the 1/2"

question for the guys who have been using the spinner set up for awhile. what is life on the spinners? i understand it will depend on how much you sharpen, but compared to diamonds that most of you would have used. do they seem to last longer or short?

question for the guys who have been using the spinner set up for awhile. what is life on the spinners? i understand it will depend on how much you sharpen, but compared to diamonds that most of you would have used. do they seem to last longer or short?

Getting between 2 to 6 months depending on the staff using it!

Spinners will last long time if you stick to one spinner setting and are only lightly redressing the wheel. However if you are going back and forth between spinners 100/50, 90/75, 100/75 etc, on the same head, the spinner will wear more. (so will the stone) Not really any different than if you did the same thing with a single point diamond dresser. I'm going thru them quick, but I cut in a lot of new steel and generally dress about 4 times per new pair. As you said, there are many variables, volume for one, but changing settings prob does the most wear.

Spinners will last long time if you stick to one spinner setting and are only lightly redressing the wheel. However if you are going back and forth between spinners 100/50, 90/75, 100/75 etc, on the same head, the spinner will wear more. (so will the stone) Not really any different than if you did the same thing with a single point diamond dresser. I'm going thru them quick, but I cut in a lot of new steel and generally dress about 4 times per new pair. As you said, there are many variables, volume for one, but changing settings prob does the most wear.

you dress that often during sharpening?

Edited by BMcDonld19

It all depends on who is doing the FBV there are a few tricks to really getting a solid hollow and making it a noticeable difference!

I've tried that. I had FBV done and been skating on them for about a few months. To see if I was really missing anything or if there was a great difference, I went back to the traditional sharpening. That lasted one skate. Huge difference. the big difference was seen when gliding. Turning difference was negligible. Although, I have to lean more with the FBV. But gliding was where the difference was tremendous. The energy expended was so much less. I am 100% sold on the FBV. I use Bob at No-icing. He's been right on every time. B)

Who do you recommend at Oakville National Sports? I keep getting new/different people and hate not knowing if they are doing it right....

Totally worth it. Lasts longer and performs better. I'm upset I don't have time to get it done for my game tonight, and will have to use a shitty ROH sharpening.

What I think is funny though is that no one really knows about it in Vancouver. I ask every hockey shop I go to and most either haven't heard of it, or claim it's un proven yet and not worth the investment. I think they need to get on MSH

I was at The Hockey Shop yesterday and saw a couple of signs hanging from their ceiling about FBV. I didn't read the sign or ask them about it though so not sure if it said it's coming, already have it or what. It was more of just a glance and I recognized it. Way too busy there yesterday to really look around, you pretty much had to know what you want and get it, too busy to look around and shop. Hopefully they do have it, I want to give it a try.

read them the next time you're in, you'll be pleasantly surprised ;)

I was at The Hockey Shop yesterday and saw a couple of signs hanging from their ceiling about FBV. I didn't read the sign or ask them about it though so not sure if it said it's coming, already have it or what. It was more of just a glance and I recognized it. Way too busy there yesterday to really look around, you pretty much had to know what you want and get it, too busy to look around and shop. Hopefully they do have it, I want to give it a try.

they had it since early this year - can't remember exactly, but long ago

I only wish the price was $8 as initially planned - not $10!

Yah, saw those signs yesterday, pretty sweet.

As for $10 to sharpen, i'm pretty sure I only was charged 8 bucks..nevermind just checked the bill - 8.92. Makes a strong case for getting your own machine and charging less.

Totally worth it. Lasts longer and performs better. I'm upset I don't have time to get it done for my game tonight, and will have to use a shitty ROH sharpening.

What I think is funny though is that no one really knows about it in Vancouver. I ask every hockey shop I go to and most either haven't heard of it, or claim it's un proven yet and not worth the investment. I think they need to get on MSH

Yeah I called them yesterday. Going to give it a try. Do you work there? I love The Hockey Shop, I rather drive 45 mins there than 5 mins to Cyclone.

Who do you recommend at Oakville National Sports? I keep getting new/different people and hate not knowing if they are doing it right....

Starting this week there is a new system being used and only certain staff allowed to sharpen and that goes for all stores. Anyone doing the sharpening will be certified on this new system. If you look at the new flyer coming Thursday you will see all about it.

Dave and Matt run that Pro shop though and are the main 2 guys!

I have a question. How do you know when a spinner is all used up?

Thanks.

You will see a different color in the hollow...that tells you it is done.

As for $10 to sharpen, i'm pretty sure I only was charged 8 bucks..nevermind just checked the bill - 8.92. Makes a strong case for getting your own machine and charging less.

Why devalue a premium service?

you dress that often during sharpening?

No, only once for a regular sharpening. But cutting new steel needs more passes and clogs stone with metal so it needs to be redressed more.

As for spinners, I've found that when the spinner is used up, you will get a flame while dressing because the diamond coating is gone and your dressing metal to stone instead of diamond to stone.

from looking at the pictures on the website, it is hard to tell what comes with the x-01. it doesn't say anything about a batgage, but in the pic it shows there is one there. same with the x-33 kit, it shows a spinner, but that isn't listed under what comes with it. has anyone bought the x-33? and what comes with the x-01?

Why devalue a premium service?

I guess I just never thought of it as a premium service, just a sharpening. I guess that's fairly ignorant as the sharpening lasts longer and performs better.

Yeah I called them yesterday. Going to give it a try. Do you work there? I love The Hockey Shop, I rather drive 45 mins there than 5 mins to Cyclone.

i do. not on floor though, creative services

Been skating on the 90/75 FBV for a while now and love it. Two question

1. Most people say the sharpening last longer then regular sharpening, but for me i feel like the sharpness feels really sharp for an hour, then kinda in between sharp and dull for 3 hours then after that it needs to be sharpened again or i feel like im a sliding everywhere. For regular sharpenings i felt like the period of between sharp and dull takes a lot longer 6 - 8 hours. Is this just me becoming a better skater and wanting sharper blades or what? Anybody feel FBV requires more frequent sharpening.

2. Accorsing to the blackstone videos sharpening should only take a few passes on each skate. My sharpener takes twenty minutes to do FBV. Should it be taking this long or what, how long does your FBV take?

I can see where you're coming from with the FBV feeling dull just as quickly as a regular ROH. That's something I was thinking too at first, but decided to keep playing beyond where I'd normally get my skate sharpened, and they still felt fine. Your edges on your 90/75 are less pronounced than they would be on a ROH. Maybe you're just getting used to the glide, or maybe you're just getting better at skating. Give the 100/50 a shot and see how the bite is.

Regarding your sharpener taking 20 minutes to do a pair... I take about the same amount of time to sharpen my skates at a FBV than I do a ROH, which is around 5-6 minutes a pair. And I haven't screwed up a single FBV cut for my customers. Not sure why it takes your guy so long. I hope it's just because he's meticulous.

Edited by aarondevera