Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jds

Balsillie's Back

When JB put tickets for the Hamilton Predators on sale before he was even close to owning the team, he lost the owners. Bettman has had to do little, if any, convincing. The funny thing is that they were prepared to welcome him into the club when he was trying to buy the Penguins. The only thing that stopped that deal was the fact that the NHL added a condition at the last minute that he would not be permitted to move the team. Otherwise we would be talking about the Hamilton Penguins right now. I still think he got screwed by the NHL on that one.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Both...0905/story.html

In a perfect world this could happen. In the desert dust of Phoenix, no one these two rivals suddenly figure out what is really best for the both of them.

That's essentially giving JB everything he wants and everyone else giving in on every point. The only thing JB doesn't get is the immediacy that he is demanding. The only way I see JB as an owner in the NHL is with the stipulation that he has no control over the hockey ops, and that is if the court forces the NHL to accept him. Given the case law precedents, as they have been explained to me, I really don't see that happening.

In a perfect world this could happen. In the desert dust of Phoenix, no one these two rivals suddenly figure out what is really best for the both of them.

That's essentially giving JB everything he wants and everyone else giving in on every point. The only thing JB doesn't get is the immediacy that he is demanding. The only way I see JB as an owner in the NHL is with the stipulation that he has no control over the hockey ops, and that is if the court forces the NHL to accept him. Given the case law precedents, as they have been explained to me, I really don't see that happening.

Chadd...continuing to post in this particular thread will do nothing to make your head feel better...move on to some of the fluff threads if you want relief.

Chadd...continuing to post in this particular thread will do nothing to make your head feel better...move on to some of the fluff threads if you want relief.

Tomorrow is a day full of fluff and landshark and margaritas and....

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=290189

It'll cost JB $101-195 to move the team (assuming he wins the right to bid...and assuming his bid is accepted).

This thing is FAR from over.

As Marz noted previously, that will not include the fees for market infringement of the Leafs and Sabres.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=290348

Balsillie increases his offer by $30 million.

$242.5 to buy the team

195 to the League to move the team

150 work needed on Copps

$587.5M

:o

Plus...that fee to the League does not include what might need to be paid to the Leafs/Sabres...assuming this whole territorial rights things gets sorted out.

[EDIT]: Oops...forgot the all important $0.5M

$242 to buy the team

150 work needed on Copps

$587M

Plus...that fee to the League does not include what might need to be paid to the Leafs/Sabres...assuming this whole territorial rights things gets sorted out.

I just wish that Thursday would be the end of this fiasco. Sadly, I don't expect that to be the case, no matter how it goes.

$242 to buy the team

150 work needed on Copps

$587M

I just wish that Thursday would be the end of this fiasco. Sadly, I don't expect that to be the case, no matter how it goes.

Appeals will come either way...and with the mess Tampa Bay ownership is in right now, JB is first in line when the For Sale sings goes up on that one. This guy isn't going away anytime soon.

$242 to buy the team

150 work needed on Copps

$587M

Appeals will come either way...and with the mess Tampa Bay ownership is in right now, JB is first in line when the For Sale sings goes up on that one. This guy isn't going away anytime soon.

If the judge upholds the NHL right to vote on owners, this case will be the end of his attempts at direct ownership.

If the judge upholds the NHL right to vote on owners, this case will be the end of his attempts at direct ownership.

No, I don't think so. Next stop an anti-trust suit.

It's interesting that the NHL informed the judge that Ice Edge was backing out.

And, Balsillie has a good point; should the NHL be able to decide that the NHL is the best owner for the team? While MLB ran the Expos / Nationals, were there any willing buyers?

What a surprise: Ice Edge Holdings just spit the bit.

Oh and put this in your pipe and smoke it: http://www.bayobserver.ca/index.php?post_id=346

I can't remember the story...but Mr. Macaluso didn't exactly leave that post under the greatest circumstances. I meant to ask someone at work today for the details...but I forgot.

$242.5 to buy the team

150 work needed on Copps

$587.5M

[EDIT]: Oops...forgot the all important $0.5M

I really can't see JB having a cap on what he will spend to get this team. He's gonna force his way into the league. As a Pens fan, I feel bad for phoenix fans, because even if the NHL got the team, it doesn't look like they would be there long before the league moves them itself.

Jim Balsilli revised his bid to keep the team in Glendale for the 09-10 Season. I didnt see him getting the team if they were to play in Hamilton this season, but seeing as JB has compromised more than the NHL has, i think he has put himself in the favor of Judge Baum.

Jim Balsilli revised his bid to keep the team in Glendale for the 09-10 Season. I didnt see him getting the team if they were to play in Hamilton this season, but seeing as JB has compromised more than the NHL has, i think he has put himself in the favor of Judge Baum.

I think it's more likely that the judge says neither offer is acceptable then he awards the franchise to JB. By saying neither offer is acceptable, he avoids having to rule against the NHLs right to approve new owners.

I think it's more likely that the judge says neither offer is acceptable then he awards the franchise to JB. By saying neither offer is acceptable, he avoids having to rule against the NHLs right to approve new owners.

Im a bit confused. Wouldn't awarding the franchise to JB be contradictory to his bid being unacceptable? Or is this a legal cop out..

I think it's more likely that the judge says neither offer is acceptable than he awards the franchise to JB. By saying neither offer is acceptable, he avoids having to rule against the NHLs right to approve new owners.

Im a bit confused. Wouldn't awarding the franchise to JB be contradictory to his bid being unacceptable? Or is this a legal cop out..

Sorry, typo

That would certainly be his easiest option.

On the other hand, Balsillie has gone out of his way to address any concerns in the bidding process that he can control. He can't control the fact that the NHL BoG approved him as an owner a few years ago, and now has changed its mind without explanation. He was accused of not offering enough to certain creditors, and he revised his offer. He matched the NHL's promise to leave the team in Glendale for at least one more season; they both reserve the right to move the team after that; in fact, Balsillie's offer provides far more stability to the players as employees, since they'll know in advance what's happening next year, as opposed to having another year in limbo.