Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jds

Balsillie's Back

Because he's fucking nuts.

Which seems to be a common trait in the ultra wealthy successful people I have come across. They usually stop at nothing. It is how they got there in the first place.

The rest of us are being too damn civil.

I wish I was an eccentric billionaire so I could just buy this team and fold it. Ditto the Fla Panthers.

The League is just as unlikey to let that happen...regardless of how much you're offering.

...I think Jimmy B needs to calm down for a while, let things blow over and try for an expansion team when the NHL decides to make it 32 in a few years.

Yeah, but what are the chances that Bettman would actually grant one of those expansion teams to Jimmy B. He has a better chance at buying an existing team than an expansion team because Bettman and the league will have total control over who gets an expansion team and where it gets located (at least that's what I think).

Hence the "let things blow over" part. While he would never stand a chance if the application for expansion was tomorrow, in a few years people will have calmed down all around, and would probalby look at his offer pretty fairly.

Hence the "let things blow over" part. While he would never stand a chance if the application for expansion was tomorrow, in a few years people will have calmed down all around, and would probalby look at his offer pretty fairly.

No, there is zero chance JB gets a chance to own a team in the NHL without admitting he made mistakes and even then I don't like his odds. This has become a crusade for him and those never end well for the people caught in the middle(NHL fans).

No, there is zero chance JB gets a chance to own a team in the NHL without admitting he made mistakes and even then I don't like his odds. This has become a crusade for him and those never end well for the people caught in the middle(NHL fans).

Which fans are you talking about? The 40 in Phoenix or the 7 million in GTA/Hamilton. JB is really not thinking about the fans. They are just the means to an end, customers/consumers. I agree, his chances are dwindling daily but the fans have nothing to do in the matter. This is all about very nasty litigation at the moment.

Make that 41 fans in Phoenix. Since a good portion of fans here are transplants like myself, can some of you move here to help us out. It will help our housing market too. haha

The lack of hockey fans isn't the problem. Phx needs better management and a winner fast. The Cardinals sucked for years but are now sold out, even for preseason because they started winning some games. People will jump on the Coyotes bandwagon once they start winning. They did back in 2001 when the Coyotes last made playoffs. Plus in Winnipeg they were in hockey country and fan support wasn't fantastic....oh yeah they sucked there too. Amazing what a consistent winner does...ie Flyers, Wings, etc. You win long enough the fans will stick with you during the crap years.

Balls-silly should give up and try for a KHL team instead. Or maybe Bettman can get him to pay 1 Billion and use the surplus cash to promote the league better.

I'm not giving you a hard time but..... I have heard that the Glendale arena is hard to get to and out of the way. Is this true? Also, as the 41st fan, just kidding, how many games have you been to? Ultimately it is up to the 41 fans to go to the games in Glendale in order for the team to be successful. NHL teams make it or break it on attendance. It is as simple as that. Fans go to see winners but no fans at the games will equal no team soon enough.

The Glendale arena isn't hard to get to at all. It is literally right next to the 101 freeway and just 2 miles south it connects to I-10 freeway. I-10 runs from LA to pretty far back eastern US. So it is a very easy drive for most of the Phoenix folk. Some fans may live closer than others. I live 15 minutes away. I have friends that live 45-50 minutes away. Phoenix is a sprawling city. People that whine that it is too far away are lazy. I drive an hour to work one way and an occasional drive to a hockey game would be no big deal to me. I use to drive 1 hour to go to Flyers games growing up. Plus next door is a big shopping, eating, entertainment center with the Cardinals new stadium right next door to that and they sell out 60,000+ now. Course many of those people only started to go to Cards games when they started winning some.

I myself go to about 5 games a year. Would do more but I need some money to play myself. I agree with you that fans need to step up and go. The team has done a lot a decent promos like buy 1 get 1 on seats, $25 ticket plus dog & a beer, etc to sell tickets. The local Phoenix media is terrible though! They give more coverage to a snail race than hockey. If they would talk it up some more I believe it would help get some butts in the seats. Unfortunately the BK proceedings aren't helping to drive more sales. I just read that Reinsdorf is out and the NHL has submitted a bid with hopes to sell the team to a 3rd party(ie Reinsdorf) if they win the legal battle. Maybe they are better off in another city. I don't know, but I would like to see them given a chance with good management before pulling the plug. They have definitely helped build youth hockey here compared to 13 years ago. Sorry for the ramble.

Which fans are you talking about?

Those of us that have to put up with this ongoing farce. We should be talking about the upcoming season and looking forward to the continued maturation of the amazing number of excellent young players in the league. Instead, we talk about millionaires, billionaires and lawyers.

Those of us that have to put up with this ongoing farce. We should be talking about the upcoming season and looking forward to the continued maturation of the amazing number of excellent young players in the league. Instead, we talk about millionaires, billionaires and lawyers.

+1

Oh, the players, owners, and lawyers. There are plenty of threads about the upcoming season. This thread is like TV. If you don't like it, change the channel.

Reinsdorf out, Ice Edge and NHL in as possible buyer for Coyotes

Ice Edge have only $150 million, NHL has ???, and Balsillie is still at $212.5 million. Also, the Ice Edge and NHL bids don't give anything to the creditors. whereas Balsillie's bid would give Moyes $104 million.

No, the NHL and Ice Edge bids will give cash to the creditors, they just don't recognize Moyes as one of them. It's likely that the other creditors make out far better under the NHL and Ice Edge bids as the difference between the bids is less than the amount going to Moyes under JB's bid.

Ice Edge have only $150 million, NHL has ???, and Balsillie is still at $212.5 million. Also, the Ice Edge and NHL bids don't give anything to the creditors. whereas Balsillie's bid would give Moyes $104 million.

Also, in a totally unrelated coincidence...(so they say...) the CEO of Ice Edge used to work for RIM.

Uhm, I suppose all coincidences are unrelated.

No, the NHL and Ice Edge bids will give cash to the creditors, they just don't recognize Moyes as one of them. It's likely that the other creditors make out far better under the NHL and Ice Edge bids as the difference between the bids is less than the amount going to Moyes under JB's bid.

Just curious what your source is for this information. I have been following this story in the Phoenix and Toronto newspapers. My understanding was that the Dell company(largest owed creditor) received the highest dollar amount from JB's offer. The NHL only offered to buy yesterday.

Just curious what your source is for this information. I have been following this story in the Phoenix and Toronto newspapers. My understanding was that the Dell company(largest owed creditor) received the highest dollar amount from JB's offer. The NHL only offered to buy yesterday.

Every story that I've read has said that Balsilie's offer gives Moyes $104M, subtract that from the total of $212.5M and you get $108.5M to spread among the creditors. The NHL and Ice edge offers are larger than $108.5M by $40M or so, according to most reports. Even the story linked above implies that Moyes will get little, if anything, from the NHL or IE offers. Not having seen the offers, I can't say exactly who gets what amount of cash. That said, it seems to be a simple deduction that if Moyes gets nothing (or close to it) that the other creditors in whole should end up with more cash with the Reinsdorf/NHL or IE offers. I could be completely off base, but the available information seems to indicate that.

Thanks for doing the math for me! I'll tell you, though, if I'm an NHL owner with a team losing big bucks, I am not too happy about having to chip in and prop up Phoenix. The NHL money to buy the Coyotes has to come from somewhere so I am guessing it is the other 29 owners. I understand you are not enjoying this story arc but the NHL is also a business. The players are meat on the hoof. Always have been, always will be. This business side is usually not pretty and this is about as ugly as I can remember in any major sport. All the dirty laundry is being brought out. JB has run roughshod in his attempts to buy in but Bettman has also bungled these Sun Belt franchises. I know Bettman made a lot of money by adding those new teams. Now, though, the losses are undeniable in terms of real money for the owners of those troubles teams. Stay tuned for the next event, in the court room!!

Thanks for doing the math for me! I'll tell you, though, if I'm an NHL owner with a team losing big bucks, I am not too happy about having to chip in and prop up Phoenix. The NHL money to buy the Coyotes has to come from somewhere so I am guessing it is the other 29 owners. I understand you are not enjoying this story arc but the NHL is also a business. The players are meat on the hoof. Always have been, always will be. This business side is usually not pretty and this is about as ugly as I can remember in any major sport. All the dirty laundry is being brought out. JB has run roughshod in his attempts to buy in but Bettman has also bungled these Sun Belt franchises. I know Bettman made a lot of money by adding those new teams. Now, though, the losses are undeniable in terms of real money for the owners of those troubles teams. Stay tuned for the next event, in the court room!!

I think the story is interesting, but the debate really should only be about the legal issues. Instead it has largely been a referendum on issues that really have no bearing on the court case. Viability in the current market is irrelevant until some of the legal issues are resolved and the judge has done a masterful job of not making any decisions at all on the legal issues.

Perhaps once the Palm Pre and the iPhone are done devouring the smart phone market out from underneath the Blackberry Balsillie will give up on owning an NHL franchise and get back to doing what he does well.

BBY's getting old.

Part 1

Uhm, not really.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianp...X-c0I8IHNMSaldA

Part 2

"They obviously don't want Jim as a partner; plain and simple! They will foot the bill as long as they need to in order to keep him out. Remember, this whole thing is ego driven on both sides."

Behind every big ego in this game is a bigger wallet. I can imagine the NHL buys the Coyotes, sells them to JB for $500 million under extremely strict conditions, he gets his team and moves them to Hamilton, and the NHL gets what they want, which is more money. In this saga, anything is truly possible...............