Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RadioGaGa

2008-2009 All Star Thread

patrick sharp not making the ballot is pure robbery, hes performing that well in his non normal position, hes playing center, plays the penalty kill, power play and plays two way hockey

attrotious

I couldn't AGREE More!

It's all a shit show anyway I don't see why the players don't just totally go for the entertainment value and have a huge bench brawl followed the D flipping their sticks so we can see some decent dangles and a big case of slew footing all round followed by Semin playing percussion in between periods.

LMFAO!!

West team has been revealed today:

Toews-Getzlaf-Kane

Doan-Thornton-Iginla

Brown-Datsyuk-Tkachuk

Hejduk-Modano-Nash

Campbell-Niedermayer

Lidstrom-Boyle

Weber-Souray

Giguere

Luongo

Backstrom

If it wasn't for the stupid one representative per team rule, I would have liked to have seen this up front:

Zetterberg-Getzlaf-Kane

Nash-Thornton-Iginla

D.Sedin-Datsyuk-Doan

Koivu-Marleau-Hossa

Wow no Mike Green for the East is pretty surprising ..... Thanks Montreal fans for keeping deserving players out so you could watch the same players you get 41 times a year at home.

Just like every ASG in every sport there are going to be several players that deserve it but just dont get to go.. Personally I like each team being represented, but I can see how it sucks too when some teams are stacked and not all their good players get to play.

I hate the fan voting though....

"komisarek...really? (Stan from south park voiceover..) ;)

Just like every ASG in every sport there are going to be several players that deserve it but just dont get to go.. Personally I like each team being represented, but I can see how it sucks too when some teams are stacked and not all their good players get to play.

I hate the fan voting though....

"komisarek...really? (Stan from south park voiceover..) ;)

You can blame the fans for voting for him all you want...but Mike Komisarek should not even be on the AS Ballot.

On second thought , representing every team is stupid.

It's really a simple fix. Each team must be represented at the all star weekend. As long as there is one player from each team in either the all star game, young stars game or skills competition, the league gets the best of both worlds. You can then have some of the non-participating players sit in for a few minutes with the broadcast crew for some insight or background on guys who are playing. More people participate and a better final product for the league.

It's really a simple fix. Each team must be represented at the all star weekend. As long as there is one player from each team in either the all star game, young stars game or skills competition, the league gets the best of both worlds. You can then have some of the non-participating players sit in for a few minutes with the broadcast crew for some insight or background on guys who are playing. More people participate and a better final product for the league.

Wow... I actually agree with you on this. [/planets aligning]

That is simple for the diehard fans but then you lose the next tier who would like to see how their hometown guy stacks up against some of the league's best. The league, and more importantly the advertisers, want the most folks tuning in both nights and the best way to get that is to include every market.

I still think the Skills Competition should be for EVERY NHL player. The hardest shot contest, should be the hardest shooters in the NHL, not the hardest shooters elected to the ASG. Same goes for accurate shot, fastest skater, etc..

I want to see the most skilled players in the ASG and Skills comp., not the players who got the most votes.

Thanks a LOT Montreal fans for screwing up this ASG weekend.

I still think the Skills Competition should be for EVERY NHL player. The hardest shot contest, should be the hardest shooters in the NHL, not the hardest shooters elected to the ASG. Same goes for accurate shot, fastest skater, etc..

I want to see the most skilled players in the ASG and Skills comp., not the players who got the most votes.

I'm getting tired of the whole "let's blame Montreal fans..." thing. The League used a flawed voting system, and the home fans took advantage...Montreal fans stacked the ballot for their own guys....but seriously is anyone surprised. Montreal fans didn't screw up All Star weekend...the LEAGUE did!

/didn't vote

//if I did...I would have voted ONCE!

I'm getting tired of the whole "let's blame Montreal fans..." thing. The League used a flawed voting system, and the home fans took advantage...Montreal fans stacked the ballot for their own guys....but seriously is anyone surprised. Montreal fans didn't screw up All Star weekend...the LEAGUE did!

/didn't vote

Neither one could have done it without the other, it was a joint effort. Yes, the NHL used a system that could be abused but it was a portion (obviously not all) of the Montreal fans that perverted the voting. Those people proved that they are not hockey fans, they are Canadiens fans.

As for the skills, I agree with one caveat. The players should have to have played a minimum number of games in the NHL that season or over the last couple years to qualify. Nobody wants to see some minor league journeyman some up and beat stars by 2mph on the hardest shot. Hell, even allowing the young stars to compete in the skills competition would be a major improvement.

Having that many people to choose from would seriously hurt the NHL's "team relay" and other planned events though. :ph34r:

Who changed the format to a drag race for fastest skater- maintaining speed through turns and over long distances make a guy fast, otherwise you're looking for the fastest feet. I very much hope it's back to a hot-lap.

/didn't vote

I'll go back to my Ralph Nader example. Just because someone is on the ballot doesn't mean you have to vote for him. And yes, Montreal fans deserve their share of the blame. It wasn't Columbus fans voting for Komisarek.

what killed it for me last year, was the stupid style shootout. screw that. have a normal shootout where you're not allowed to shoot. put dats against gagner and a few other guys. that problem is solved.

I think it's a crime that Mike Modano (26 points), beat out Patrick Marleau (42 points).

I completley agree with you. I don't like the sharks very much but Marleau definatly deserves to be on the team over Modano. I do however think Loui Erikkson should be at the game.

/didn't vote

Don't get me wrong, I'm only blaming Montreal fans for voting in people who shouldn't be in the game in the first place. Komisarek?? Is there NO other player in the East who is deserving of a spot more than him?

This would be like Rangers fans voting Kalinin and Redden as ASG starters.