Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mgoblue

Hockey's Simple Pleasures

Going up to the cash register at a store and dropping an $800 dollar pair of skates on the ole debit card, then walking out of the store thinking, I can't believe I spent that much money on a pair of skates.

Just plain and simple...

Being on the first game of the day and the first person on the rink.. and skating around in the warm-up with the air rushing into your face, making your eyes water.

I find it interesting how so many guys are posting individual achievements in this thread. In my opinion, that goes against the spirit of the thread.

Most of the younger guys (who really aren't too much younger than me and my buddies) just want to sound sweet and lie about how good they are(n't).

I'd say its a matter of linguistic rather than egotistic deficiency; some seem to be mistaking "simple pleasures" for "incidents that have made me happy."

That may be the case, but especially at HS and Junior levels, I'm seeing more of these arrogant and individualistic attitudes. It's all about "I'm better than you and I'm going to let you know that." There's little respect left in the game, it's truly tragic.

That's it for my rant, here's another simple pleasure: making new friends on a new team. Tryouts ended today and sitting on the bleachers with 24 other guys, only about 1/2 of which I knew, was eerie considering in 3 months they will all be like brothers to me.

That may be the case, but especially at HS and Junior levels, I'm seeing more of these arrogant and individualistic attitudes. It's all about "I'm better than you and I'm going to let you know that." There's little respect left in the game, it's truly tragic.

I've said it before: I blame Warrior and influences of the like that incite and perpetuate a lack of respect for the spirit of hockey and the sportsmanship it has facilitated. I despise the long-haired, pink-stick using, wheeled-shoe having culture that has found its way into ice arenas.

-There is nothing like stepping out on a fresh sheet in a packed arena.

-The building anticipation during the warm up.

-When the game is on the line, getting the tap on the shoulder from the coach to go in.

Though my favorite hockey moment to date came as a fan not a player. I'm a big Pens fan. I caught Game 2 in Detroit. I was wearing a Crosby shirt in the Anchor bar near the Joe. All you could see were Wings fans as far as I could see. They were all great, buying me beers and shots like we were long lost pals. Met a couple of guys who worked as ushers at the Joe who were "pre-gaming". Met up with them inside the rink and they gave us a little tour. Just awesome, great guys. Great fans. I was also in Pittsburgh for Game Six. To see the Stanley Cup presentation was beyond words. As bummed as I was to see the Wings win, watching the Cup come out and guys take it for a skate was amazing. I swear the Stanley Cup glows. Best hockey moment ever.

High School hockey, maybe (HS hockey around here is relatively weak - but most of the boys suiting-up think it's for real). But once I hit Junior hockey (even before I got hurt) I realized that there really are a LOT of pretty good hockey players out there, and that I'm not quite as special as I used to think I was, and playing at that level didn't necessarily mean that I was guaranteed a shot at going anywhere. I did a lot of growing-up pretty quick. Now I'm just happy to be back in the game for the time I've got left - if I catch-on somewhere once I age-out, awesome...but if I wind-up in a few local beer leagues with all the other ex-Junior and ex-college guys, that's okay, too.

I've said it before: I blame Warrior and influences of the like that incite and perpetuate a lack of respect for the spirit of hockey and the sportsmanship it has facilitated. I despise the long-haired, pink-stick using, wheeled-shoe having culture that has found its way into ice arenas.

I was going to drop Warrior in there but I figured I'd get flamed, but I totally agree.

High School hockey, maybe (HS hockey around here is relatively weak - but most of the boys suiting-up think it's for real). But once I hit Junior hockey (even before I got hurt) I realized that there really are a LOT of pretty good hockey players out there, and that I'm not quite as special as I used to think I was, and playing at that level didn't necessarily mean that I was guaranteed a shot at going anywhere. I did a lot of growing-up pretty quick. Now I'm just happy to be back in the game for the time I've got left - if I catch-on somewhere once I age-out, awesome...but if I wind-up in a few local beer leagues with all the other ex-Junior and ex-college guys, that's okay, too.

Down here HS hockey is a pretty big deal, and there's some real good teams as well as the usual bad squads. I think you (as well as myself) realize this at a young age- I would bet not too many other people our age have the same views, which is a sad but unfortunate truth.

Like I said, I've had a few buddies who were a few years older than me grow-up being complete and total self-absorbed assholes. Pretty good hockey players. They go to The O or go play D-I college somewhere and get drafted to The Show...get one year (or less) of pro hockey (usually ECHL, maybe lower, mayber higher) under their belts and end-up at home with their tails between their legs and much more unassuming personalities - working at least twice as hard that following summer as they ever had before. I've learned a lot in my summers with those guys - on and off the ice.

Dont get me wrong, I love playing and being on the ice, but my favorite part was hanging out in the locker room, or at your billets, or on the bus, with all the boys. just shootin the shit, trading stories, or just chirping each other. I dont think people really realize that once you move on from the game its really hard to find that sort of bond or camaraderie anywhere else.

To me its all about "doing fuck all, and being a hockey player" :P (as my old coach used to say)

Dont get me wrong, I love playing and being on the ice, but my favorite part was hanging out in the locker room, or at your billets, or on the bus, with all the boys. just shootin the shit, trading stories, or just chirping each other. I dont think people really realize that once you move on from the game its really hard to find that sort of bond or camaraderie anywhere else.

To me its all about "doing fuck all, and being a hockey player" :P (as my old coach used to say)

I couldn't agree more. I set up the alumni game every year for my highschool team. We used to have one that was alumni vs. active players, and it would always end up with the actives getting their asses kicked. There were a few years of no games until I stepped in to make it alumni vs. alumni. Now, I have trouble getting 1 team together, much less two. . . why is it so hard? . . The older guys have all moved away and started new careers, while the younger guys are too cocky and "too good" to play in the games. They don't understand that the reason we have this alumni game, is for the camaraderie that takes place in the locker room, on the ice, and at the bar afterwards.

I never thought I'd miss those guys so much, when we have our game, its like we didn't miss a beat. We still rip on each other for the same crap we ripped on while in high school.

to add to this, something i look back on and kind of say wow to is when my HS team lost in the state semi final by one goal my senior year. one of the most tight knit teams ive ever been on, not a dry eye in that dressing room or on the bus ride back to the rink

*Watching the players I coach develop and see how excited they are when they score their first goal.

*Opening a box with new gear in it.

*Late night no pads pickup with 2-4 friends at the rink. Or just you, a puck, the net and a full sheet of ice to yourself.

*The locker room antics, playing hockey with some of your best friends.

*Defending a teammate/protecting my goalie.

*Battling in-front of the net.

*Making a sweet saucer pass that is one-timed into the open side of the net.

*The "no-look" pass that hits the tape of the teammate you wanted it to go to.

*Knocking down(and controlling the puck) or deflecting a shot with your stick.

*Free icetime!

I find it interesting how so many guys are posting individual achievements in this thread. In my opinion, that goes against the spirit of the thread.

Don't get me wrong I am all for the overall joy of the game... I Live for my teammates and respect for the game... I Love hockey.Now reading back my Post was egotistical, i just love the felling the next day after the big game with everyone in the halls Congratulating me for my personal and team accomplishments,

My Apologizes

Don't get me wrong I am all for the overall joy of the game... I Live for my teammates and respect for the game... I Love hockey.Now reading back my Post was egotistical, i just love the felling the next day after the big game with everyone in the halls Congratulating me for my personal and team accomplishments,

My Apologizes

That's not a simple pleasure, that's ego stroking.