Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mgoblue

Hockey's Simple Pleasures

just getting out on the ice and forgetting all the everyday life stress, almost feeling like a kid again for that 50 mins of ice time.

Agreed.

How about getting dangled and worked over by someone you've been mentoring and advising? The sweetest burn ever.

Preffering to loose 4 to 3 in a close game than win 20-0.

... Hell .. just everything in this thread is all about the pleasure of playing hockey.

For everything else .... there's Mastercard

(not sure if those Mastercard adverts have made it across the pond??)

watching a game with non-hockey playing friends and seeing the look on their face when I say things like "great D" "so and so's forecheck looks strong tonight" etc. and knowing that all they see is goals.

Just the sound of the game. Skates cutting, the sound of sticks slapping the puck or the ice, teammates yelling to each other. It's a really awesome sounding game.

Just the sound of the game. Skates cutting, the sound of sticks slapping the puck or the ice, teammates yelling to each other. It's a really awesome sounding game.

I believe that is called music

watching a game with non-hockey playing friends and seeing the look on their face when I say things like "great D" "so and so's forecheck looks strong tonight" etc. and knowing that all they see is goals.

agreed, nothing better then going nice play, and then have to explain that it wasn't a simple pass, he waited for the d to give away his position, then put it on his backhand so the back checker couldnt get to it etc.. then just get those wtf? looks

It makes you happy that people don't understand the subtle nuances? It makes me happier when those same people spot them.

Easy plays, controlling the puck in the offensive zone, drinking the Gatorade to recover for the next ice time that starts in 20 minutes, sitting around and talking in the dressing room for an hour.

- the smell of the arena when you walk through the doors

- top-corner slapshots that send the goalie's bottle in the sky

- battling hard for the puck in the corners

- cutting a 2-on-1 with your stick along the ice

- receiving a real hard, stretch pass and controlling it no problem

- dominating face-offs

I love playing in tournaments, having multiple games in a day and playing through pain, blisters, injuries and still loving every minute of it!

love that one being in a state of exhaustion sorness and pain but never wanting to stop and having fun the entire time

Ringing a shot in off the post.

Scoring off a backhand shot.

Taking my 7-yr old to a pick up game with me.

Coaching the mites and watching their eyes light up as they score a goal.

Watching my son's face when I pick him up from school on hockey days.

To name a few.

. Laying out an A-hole who jabs at your goalie.

. The rare occurance when you can say good game to everyone on the other team and meaning it.

. Scoring a BS goal that's and saying you mean to do it.

. Making the goalie look silly after using the Gagner move.

. Seeing the shock and awe on the face of a player when they get nailed by you a 5'3 runt.

. Blocking a shot in overtime

. Having the goalie come up to you and say you saved me.

. Hanging with your boys after the game hitting on chicks in Chili's ohhh yaaaa.

. Hanging with your boys after the game hitting on chicks in Chili's ohhh yaaaa.

Ah yes, wheelin' the ladies. Here it's more post-game "get-togethers," but if Chili's cuts it than all the power to you.

Curling through the neutral zone in transition and the defensman hits you with a perfect tape to tape pass that lets you fly into the offensive zone.

But preferably win. Especially when your adult league buys the winning team a pony keg of Heineken on Saturday nights. Free beer is good beer. Victorious beer that happens to be free as well is love.

Christmas morning skate before the whole neighborhood wakes up

What about Christmas night street hockey under the lights at the supermarket? We've been doing it for the last 2-3 years as we got older, just a throwback to back in the day when things were much simpler. The town is dead and its just 6 or 8 of us, it's amazing. We usually draw a cop or two wishing us a nice holiday, and that's that.