Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kosydar

Leafs 08/09

the log jam at defence continues, but it's good that fletch stocked up as the injuries are apparent

i'm still waiting for the first move made by burke

Acquired Brad May from the Anaheim Ducks.

Let me guess--this isn't what you were waiting for?

Sent down Kulemin as well.

I can't believe it, but are we going to ice a team that includes Andre Deveaux, Brad May, and Ryan Hollweg potentially on the ice at the same time? Ouch.

I guess it's Tankapalooza '09.

I can't believe it, but are we going to ice a team that includes Andre Deveaux, Brad May, and Ryan Hollweg potentially on the ice at the same time? Ouch.

Sounds like Burke's kind of team. Maybe he can pick up Downie as well and have a bunch of guys that would willingly cripple someone for a paycheck.

I think Deveaux goes right back to the AHL whenever he's ready to be activated from the IL. Hollweg, who knows. How long could he possibly last in the lineup before he boards someone again and gets suspended? He'll be like Gaborik, returns for 2 games and then out for another 20. Rinse and repeat.

I might have read somewhere that Kulemin is sort of difficult. I wonder if he'd refuse his assignment and go back to Russia or something. Seems to be a more popular maneuver than ever nowadays.

the log jam at defence continues, but it's good that fletch stocked up as the injuries are apparent

i'm still waiting for the first move made by burke

Acquired Brad May from the Anaheim Ducks.

Let me guess--this isn't what you were waiting for?

no where near it! LOL

with Burke trading away a 6th rounder (still a draft pick) I'm assuming he's going to stock pile higher draft picks at the trade deadline

I'm disappointed in Tlusty's play this season, but it is his sophmore year and he's only 20, so he's got tons of upside to him

Kulemin, isn't he 22-23 and in his final year of his contract? I hope he doesn't pull the "i make big bucks in russia" move

I'm glad Kulemin was sent down. Once the initial rush of being in the NHL wore off, he just was a step behind everyone. He has big league skills, but needs confidence. I'd rather him play 1st line minutes in the AHL this year than 3rd or 4th in the NHL. Look at what happened to Steen- in his early years was forced into defensive roles and he never hit his offensive capability.

Burke kept his word in regards to May. Apparently Burke has been visibly pissed at how the Leafs are getting pushed around, and how its taking the skilled guys out of games. I doubt that all four of May, Mayers, Deveaux and Hollweg dress at any time. I hope Mayers gets traded at the deadline, as he has the most value.

I'm glad Kulemin was sent down. Once the initial rush of being in the NHL wore off, he just was a step behind everyone. He has big league skills, but needs confidence. I'd rather him play 1st line minutes in the AHL this year than 3rd or 4th in the NHL. Look at what happened to Steen- in his early years was forced into defensive roles and he never hit his offensive capability.

Burke kept his word in regards to May. Apparently Burke has been visibly pissed at how the Leafs are getting pushed around, and how its taking the skilled guys out of games. I doubt that all four of May, Mayers, Deveaux and Hollweg dress at any time. I hope Mayers gets traded at the deadline, as he has the most value.

May is an aging grinder...does he fit into a 'rebuilding' team.

You could get a younger guy with a similar skill set but offers no leadership qualities.

I think you need to have leadership, which some could argue has been lacking from the team. Also, he will stand up for his teammates, which allows the younger guys to play with more freedom. I really think the days of Hollweg and Deveaux are over. I don't necessarily think this is an amazing move, but I don't hate it at all. I think giving up the 3rd rounder for Mayers (given his performance this year) is way worse than a conditional 6th.

I think you need to have leadership, which some could argue has been lacking from the team. Also, he will stand up for his teammates, which allows the younger guys to play with more freedom. I really think the days of Hollweg and Deveaux are over. I don't necessarily think this is an amazing move, but I don't hate it at all. I think giving up the 3rd rounder for Mayers (given his performance this year) is way worse than a conditional 6th.

Unless your name is 'Schenn' I think there are very nervous days ahead for the Leafs players.

That rumor has been around since last year. Given Staal's drop off, I'd want the 1st included.

The Pens just signed Staal to a 4 year extension. At the least, that probably takes a potential 1st rounder as part of the deal off the table.

Pretty reasonable contract if you ask me. Makes it so the Pens don't have to trade him like I thought they would, but it also makes him that much more appealing on the market.

Here's a beauty quote from Grabovski (re: Sergei Kostitsyn):

''I think he is not Belarussian now, he is French because I never fight with Belarussian guys,'' Grabovski said. ''I don't know why he wants to fight with me. If he wants to fight, we'll go in the street and every minute of every day I'll wait for him and we'll fight.''

I'm going Feb 7th...oh yeah, I'm excited!

Kind of an embarassing game there Saturday, looks like the full tank was on for that one. It's tough to see the guys work that hard, but when you've got a line-up that features May, Hollweg, Deveaux and Mayers all getting a regular shift...well you just aren't going to win many hockey games.

The amazing thing is Ottawa is still THAT far behind us? Good god.

Uh...has that guy seen Mats play this season? Ouch, I really hope that rust wears off, because I watched for about 2 periods Saturday and he looked brutal.

Looks like we're in the dog days of the season here now, 8 losses in the last 10. The sad thing is even in the midst of tanking, the team is still better than the Senz.

Nice hatty/five point night for Blake tonight. Also good to see Tlusty get 3 assists. If only Toskala wasn't complete garbage....

The Leafs are a total Jerkyl & Hyde team this year....never know what to expect.

Maurice must be fuming at that loss. See the interview on TSN? He wanted this one.

Nice hatty/five point night for Blake tonight. Also good to see Tlusty get 3 assists. If only Toskala wasn't complete garbage....

Trade him now!!! He'll never have as much value as he has tonight. =(

Another Saturday off for the Leafs....?!?!? What's up with the NHL sched this year?

Not that I'm complaining, Habs get National CBC coverage tonight...but I thought Leafs on Saturday on CBC was in the Constitution.

with the snow coming down out, i decided to stay in with the gf and NO HNIC for Toronto...UNBELIEVABLE indeed

this is like the 3rd saturday night off for the leafs? the schedule makers are the NHL headoffice must be new :angry:

with the snow coming down out, i decided to stay in with the gf and NO HNIC for Toronto...UNBELIEVABLE indeed

this is like the 3rd saturday night off for the leafs? the schedule makers are the NHL headoffice must be new :blink:

Maybe the schedule makers are good scouts and knew how bad the Leafs would stink this year.

As of tonight the Leafs are in 4th place for the Tavares sweepstakes. They're three points ahead of Ottawa and Atlanta, but Ottawa has three games in hand and will almost certainly surpass the Leafs soon. The Islanders look like they're guaranteed to finish 30th because they're absolutely awful. If/when Kaberle, Kubina, Antropov, Ponikarovsky, Moore, Mayers, Van Ryn, etc. get traded, the Leafs will lose even more regularly. Things are looking up.

I think a worst case scenario is finishing 4th last, best case scenario is 2nd last. I don't see how the Isles can possibly pass us now that DiPietro is shut down for the year.

As I worked out in another thread, Toronto has a 60.8% chance of picking 1st or 2nd if they finish 29th overall.