Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

psh

Forsberg Skated with Electrodes...

Move this to the injury thread if you think it's more appropriate there:

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_11240938

So Forsberg was skating with electrodes running down to his foot last year. The electrodes would shock his foot into a straight position in his skate. He also wants to give it one more run, with the Avs only, by playoff time. Three responses come to mind:

1) This guy's desire to play is off the charts. Thinking of him skating out there in an NHL game with a target on his back all while electronic shocks are running through his foot is just awe-inspiring (and averaging 1.6 pts/game)--reminds me of Yzerman's leg surgery and how he'd struggle just to get up off the ice. But it's also really sad--like watching a thoroughbread horse continue to run after it has clearly broken a leg. I'd prefer to see him really, truly call it quits. I wonder if, like Sakic, he wants to hold on until the 2010 Olympics.

2) Given his instinct to compete, I hope he can be happy out of hockey, but I don't see it. Maybe he could be happy in a coaching or managing role with MoDo or Sweden's national hockey program, but I'm doubtful. Here's hoping. Forsberg has literally given his body to the game and I hope he can now walk away and find some peace.

3) The article seems to assume the Avs will make the playoffs. That's quite an assumption given that Sakic is out (and may not come back in good form--who comes back from hand tendon injuries and has his old shot or touch back right away?), and Foote is showing signs of age, not to mention other injuries. If Forsberg really has to come back for a swan song, leading the Avs through one more playoff series would be appropriate, but I'm not particularly confident about the team even being in the playoff picture.

this guy's got the desire to play, atleast with Forsberg, it's injury related that's forcing him from being able to compete or even play the game of hockey at all. Unlike some other Swede :ph34r:

Good on him for keeping on trying to get back to playing, but I bet this will be his last kick at it, sad to see a very good hockey player unable to play due to injuries.

You know it's funny. I heard a comparison somewhere that Pierre turgeon and Peter forsberg had the same level of talent. The difference is, Forsberg would go through a wall to get what he could get, whereas turgeon would not. The more I look at it, the more it seems true. And the more it sucks to see forsberg out there, fighting for something that is obviously not there. If he eased up, he could easily put up 45 points and be a second line center on a lower playoff team. But he can't ease up, and it's broken him down to such a point that he literally can't play more than 45 games at a time without a long rest. I wish he would just retire, see his #21 go up in the rafters in Colorado, and enjoy movement in his feet while it's still there, because it seems obvious they are permanently damaged. But he can't do it. He tried to walk away after his spleen was removed, but got drew back in and ever since hes been battling worse and worse injuries every year.

Keith Jones told John Buccigross in bucci's column that he hasn't skated since he retired from the NHL, because the pain in his knee was too great to overcome. I have a feeling Forsberg's is just as bad, and yet hes forcing himself to play at an nhl level on a body that simply can't handle it.

You know those "if you could build the perfect hockey player" discussions...I think Forsberg's heart/determination is on that list for sure.

If he comes back, I'm sure he wants to end his career in Denver. But I think Philly has a soft spot for him, and he would entertain playing for the Flyers again given the strength of the team, the presence of former linemates (Gags and Knubs), and his good relationship with the Homer and the organization.

Personally, if Foppa can play and his foot holds up this time, I'd much rather see him in the line up than Briere. But that is one BIG if.

These stories just hurt to read. When I think of Forsberg at this point, I imagine a horse trying to get up off of the race track when it has a broken leg.

On the other hand, the story reminds me that he scored 14 points in his last 9 games in the league. That's 1.6 points per game. Nobody approached those numbers last year. Maybe the guy still has a chance to go out on his feet instead of being carried off on his shield, but I really doubt it.

I was gonna say, they seem to have the exact opposite problem - Favre can't decide if he wants to play or not, but can't be hurt, Forsberg 100% wants to play, but can't find a way to get healthy enough

scary thing is Forsberg at 75% is better than most guys at 100%. I would love to see him be healthy and play for Colorado one more year, they need it.

scary thing is Forsberg at 75% is better than most guys at 100%. I would love to see him be healthy and play for Colorado one more year, they need it.

He's on Swedens Olympic list too...I could stand NOT to see him in Vancouver.

his is foot is fully healed and he plays a full season he could make a run at the art ross... come back player of the year?

Id love nothing more than for him to comeback to the NHL and really play. Unfortunately, I'm not sold on his foot. Hes one of the iconic players of the 90's, i wish him all the luck.

Edit: Whose to say (if he comes back to the NHL) that he even plays for the Avs? Sakic is gone... that's gonna weigh heavy on his decision.

He's going to have to accept the fact that no boot is going to feel right in order to play. He has said that he needs additional stiffness to support his bad ankle, but he doesn't like how the stiffness impairs his skating. I don't see how you resolve those two things.