Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sitzlejd

Blue Jackets 08-09

Didn't find a Jackets thread by searching so I figured I'd start one on the off-chance that someone besides me follows Columbus.

Not too sure about their chances this year. Mason is doing an INCREDIBLE job in goal and we have a lot of talented young guys who are making impacts. Their lack of scoring, pathetic power play production, and lack of an enforcer have me pretty worried though. I'd be very happy if they could just be in the hunt down the stretch. It sucks when the team you follow is irrelevant with lots of hockey to go.

Didn't find a Jackets thread by searching so I figured I'd start one on the off-chance that someone besides me follows Columbus.

Not too sure about their chances this year. Mason is doing an INCREDIBLE job in goal and we have a lot of talented young guys who are making impacts. Their lack of scoring, pathetic power play production, and lack of an enforcer have me pretty worried though. I'd be very happy if they could just be in the hunt down the stretch. It sucks when the team you follow is irrelevant with lots of hockey to go.

Alright, another Jackets fan!

First of all, I will address your last point. Although I have already watched 7 seasons worth of failure and suffering, I don't think you can call them irrelevant yet. 3 points out of 8th is hardly out of at this point in the season but they better get going soon.

Mason has had a great start to his career, but it is vital for the Jackets success for Pazzy to get back on track so that they have healthy competition and that Mason doesn't get burnt out. Mason definitely has the potential to be a franchise goalie, but too many people forget what Pazzy did for the team last year, even though he is often injured.

The power play: awful would be putting it lightly. Being under 10% on your powerplays is absolutely inexcusable. It has been slightly better of late with the arrival of Wilson and Russell (who is not developing as well as I thought he would), but still fairly bad. Many Jackets fans will say that a #1 center for Nash should be Howson's priority, but I think this team needs a puck moving, PPQB a lot worse than a #1 center. (Brassard will slowly develop into that role, and Umberger is a very capable second line center.) But we all know that PPQB's are very hard to come by and they don't really grow on trees. Oh, and when Andrew Murray and Jiri Novotny start showing up on powerplays, I come pretty close to throwing things at my TV.

I don't really think that lack of scoring is that big a problem this year, the Jackets were one of the top 5 on 5 teams early in the season.

People complaining about the lack of an enforcer to me is complete bullshit. Why would they throw away a roster spot to someone who does not really contribute to a game? I understand that you have to protect your young players, but if need be, they have guys who can step up, good team guys. (Chimera, Commodore, Boll, Dorsett, OKT) Without too many skill players in our top 9, they really shold not be dressing an enforcer. I really have never understood everybody's obsession with enforcers. If you want a guy who can fight on the team, (not enforcer) bring up Sestito once he gets healthy.

Part of the inability for the Jackets making the playoffs is based on the fact that they never seem to be able to string together a winning streak. They never get on a roll. Even when they play well and win 2 or 3 games, they are never able to turn it into anything more, and then they go on prolonged slumps. It's been the story of the Jackets franchise and one of the reasons why they've never made the playoffs.

As time goes on, I completely understand why Ken Hitchcock was fired by the Flyers. The game has passed this old hag by a long time ago. He does not trust his young players, plays a system that does not work in the new NHL, and fails to hire competent assistants (to coach things such as the PP). Hitch needs to go, or else the Jackets are going nowhere.

As frustrating as it is sometimes, I always love watching the Jackets, and hopefully (miracoulously) they can make a run at the playoffs and give central Ohio a playoff run that they deserve.

WHAT A FINISH! Nice to see the boys come from behind and get a win against the best team in the league.

Mason saves 47 of 48 and the Jackets pull off their most exciting win of the year. Maybe this will be a spark to start on of those streaks you're talking about.

cbj: I wasn't saying that they're already irrelevant this year, just that they often become irrelevant early on.

I see your point on the enforcer issue. I guess I'm not really looking for someone to fight all the time (Boll already does that) but just an added element of toughness. I always feel like they don't stack up against hard-nosed teams.

They just said Pazzy will play in the next game vs. Dallas which will take a lot of pressure off Mason.

Really nice game going on tonight. I was really surprised when Brassard dropped the gloves but not surprised at the outcome. Good to see him stick up for his teammate but he got worked pretty good.

Exciting action so far.

Really nice game going on tonight. I was really surprised when Brassard dropped the gloves but not surprised at the outcome. Good to see him stick up for his teammate but he got worked pretty good.

Exciting action so far.

He hasnt returned to the game ...not good...

That's what happens when you field an AHL lineup and rely on Mike Peca to score goals.

Frustrating, really. But every team goes through injuries. Maybe Howson can get some help. But likely not.

That's what happens when you field an AHL lineup and rely on Mike Peca to score goals.

Frustrating, really. But every team goes through injuries. Maybe Howson can get some help. But likely not.

Hitch seems to prefer an AHL lineup as long as they all play defense well.

Leclaire is hurt yet again and going to the IR.

Thought you gear mongers would appreciate this about Nikita Filatov from this morning's Dispatch:

He (Filatov) also has had to deal with issues great and small such as the death of his friend Alexei Cherepanov and the American Hockey League-mandated use of Reebok sticks.

The Syracuse Crunch is allowed only three exemptions -- usually awarded to older players -- and Filatov spent more than a month playing without his Bauer sticks.

"I would rather play with someone else's skates than someone else's sticks," Blue Jackets development coach Tyler Wright said.

I would love to see the caps trade nylander to Columbus, if he would waive his NMC.

They have the cap room and need a passing center to feed nash

The caps need the cap room if they want to keep alzner on the team now that Feds and Flash will likely be back tomorrow.

I love seeing the Jackets thread get some action!

Should be a fun game tonight. Although they did just say Mase left the ice in practice with an undiclosed injuring and may not be 100% tonight.

I bet Filatov would love to show up Ovechkin.

Big game against the Avs tonight. Avs are in 8th, Jackets are in ninth, behind them by a point. Last game between these two was a shitshow...