Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dcdot377

Winter Classic 3

I have been hearing that the Winter Classic 3 will be at Fenway next year, with a BCvsBU game before the Bruins play.

Is there any truth to this or is this just wishful thinking????

theres talks of that, a game at the new yankee stadium...there'll be a few thrown out there as a few teams want to get inlvolved seeing how successful it was.

As much as it pains me to say it, the winter classic will struggle to attract a canadian team. This is all about the American TV audience. As cool as a Bruins-Rangers game in Fenway would be, a B's-Habs would be that much better (especially given the Lucic-Laraque tiff). Unfortunately, Bettman will pander to the US crowd first. Rags-Isles? Eh...too much local flavor. Rags-Devils? Det-Col? That rivalry is basically dead. Flyers-Pens is very intriguing, but the NHL will look to "spread the wealth."

Ideally, they would find a venue where intimacy can be recreated. Part of the excitement of hockey is the involvement of the crowd. Unfortunately, that closeness between the fans and the ice is lost in some of these stadiums.

By all means, do Pens-Flyers in Beaver Stadium. Just add 25,000 ice level seats to bring the came closer.

First, it is Lucic-Komisarek. Second, is it really pandering to have the largest single television market involved in the game or just smart? The rivalry that my folks grew up with was the B's-Rangers. The Habs rivalry didn't take shape until the Adams division and seems to have petered out somewhat. Also, it won't be a bad idea to capitalize on the rivalry of all things Boston vs. New York.

I would almost guarantee Boston is in next year's. They're the new hot team in the NHL (like Chicago was last year, and the Pens and Sabres were the year before), and they could benefit from the exposure. Like its been said, I doubt Toronto or Montreal are ever involved in one of these, unless of course its against each other.

i have a feeling it will depend on how this season ends. Philly is usually capable of starting some pretty nive rivalries in the league. but we'll see what the consensus becomes, and then how bettman can manage to screw that up.

From my inside NHL Source, the 3 destinations for next year that are being considered are:

Minnesota

Colorado

and

Boston

There is also early talk of the NHL having 2 outdoor games next year b/c of no All-Star game.

I hope they keep it as 1 outdoor game and on new years. It makes it special and in my opinion adds a lot to the whole interesting aspect of the outdoor game.

Although I doubt I'd see it. I'd love to see the Capitals in this game. Having Ovechkin doesn't hurt ...

Well, my NHL indsider...Bob costas on the winter classic broadcast said that Minny would eventually be considered but not for next year because they don't have addequite outdoor stadiums to host this thing.

they should have more than 1 game played. A lot of work is involved for 1 game.

Maybe they could make it so a select few teams are voted in to play and they could have a mini tournament and the winning team could be the "Winter Classic Champion" or something of that nature. This would not count as regulation games I guess.

Am I just being an Idiot?

As much as it pains me to say it, the winter classic will struggle to attract a canadian team. This is all about the American TV audience. As cool as a Bruins-Rangers game in Fenway would be, a B's-Habs would be that much better (especially given the Lucic-Laraque tiff). Unfortunately, Bettman will pander to the US crowd first. Rags-Isles? Eh...too much local flavor. Rags-Devils? Det-Col? That rivalry is basically dead. Flyers-Pens is very intriguing, but the NHL will look to "spread the wealth."

Ideally, they would find a venue where intimacy can be recreated. Part of the excitement of hockey is the involvement of the crowd. Unfortunately, that closeness between the fans and the ice is lost in some of these stadiums.

By all means, do Pens-Flyers in Beaver Stadium. Just add 25,000 ice level seats to bring the came closer.

That's what I've been hearing the most. A Pens-Flyers game at Happy Valley is what I was hearing, but with PA weather being so unstable in January, it'd be hard to have it there.

Are people all ready forgetting Montreal was involved in the first one, the Heritage classic? I think the NHL should try and avoid letting teams play in a second game for at least a little while, let a few more teams get their chance. I'd vote for NYR/BOS in Fenway, it seems most logical based on the bruins being back in contention, the history of fenway and the boston/new york rivalry in everything. I think the steinbrenners are going to want too much for a game in the new yankee stadium and that probaably isnt a feasible option yet.

Even though I am a die hard Flyers fan and I did attend this years Winter Classic, I think they should spread the wealth around.

The Flyers v. Rangers at Yankee Stadium would be awesome but it seems far more feasible for a Rangers v. Bruins match up at Fenway in which I will hop on tickets as soon as they are made available to the public.

dsjunior - I know exactly what you're saying. It's funny, other than mentioning that Conklin had been a part of all three, the Heritage Classic is never mentioned.

dsjunior - I know exactly what you're saying. It's funny, other than mentioning that Conklin had been a part of all three, the Heritage Classic is never mentioned.

The HC seemed to have gone off with a lot less fanfare...as if only Canadians saw it or knew it was happening. I don't even remember if the HC had US coverage. The League is definitely doing a better job with the WC.

That's what I've been hearing the most. A Pens-Flyers game at Happy Valley is what I was hearing, but with PA weather being so unstable in January, it'd be hard to have it there.

The NHL might be afraid that the game wouldn't sell out at Beaver stadium. It's a huge building and a long way from any population center.

I have been hearing that the Winter Classic 3 will be at Fenway next year, with a BCvsBU game before the Bruins play.

Is there any truth to this or is this just wishful thinking????

Those new top of the monster seats would be fantastic for a hockey game.

I think they're going to have to find a way of making it fair for more teams to get involved/without having the thrashers play the Islanders or something too boring (no offence just pick 2 of the top of my head). That being said I like the big citys/ball parks involved but also like the talks of it moving further away to a place like Colorado or Minnesota. With the NHL buying their own refrigeration system I wouldnt be surprised to see 2 of these in a year, which imo isn't a bad idea. The gimmic will wear off in a few short years so they might as well get the most out of it while they can. Maybe a western conference game and an east or a mix, but spread the wealth, and if theres 2 I'd like to see one in canada and one in the states.

Because of the limited places where climate and existing facilities allows these games to happen...I think you may see a neutral site game as well sometime down the road.

One is enough, any more than that is overkill.

If it is operational by the time the next WC rolls around, Target Field would be a good choice. Open-air stadium in downtown Minneapolis. They are set to open by Opening Day 2010.

One is enough, any more than that is overkill.

If it is operational by the time the next WC rolls around, Target Field would be a good choice. Open-air stadium in downtown Minneapolis. They are set to open by Opening Day 2010.

Wild & New Jersey outside...you can watch the Trap AND FREEZE! *L*

Mind you, both teams have kind of opened it up lately...that might not be a bad game.

They should play all the all star game outside, its basically a game of shinny anyway.

Target Field would be interesting, but you wouldn't have nice views from any camera angle. The stadium is surrounded by 2 parking lots, the Target Center where the Timberwolves play and a garbage processing center.

Id thinkk that theres a little more recent rivalry between the wild and avalanche than the devils

If you're doing it in MN, you need to bring back the Stars.