Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HHR23

BIG toe curve

Has anyone ever switched from a sakic curve to a Smyth curve?

I have an ak27 and I'm crazy about Warrior sticks and toe curves. What's the Smyth curve like? Is it really Kovalchuk's pro stock curve? Doesn't look like it. (I had a game used Kovalchuk xxx-lite and sold it :unsure: )

Smyth is a lower lie than sakic, with more toe and only a slightly open face. I always thought it looked like a modano (starts at heel) with toe added. It is not kovy's pro curve, much milder...

Anyone interested in some Kovalchuk Prostocks? i think i can get them for $125 from the proshop guy at my local rink.. he had about 8 Dolomites, 1 blue SE, and like 3 Torpso sticks. If you want any let me know

anyone know where to pick up a erik cole blade, LH? i saw a video on youtube and i'm drooling over that curve. any of the prostock mission blades a clone? just looking for a replacement blade, tapered or standard but without spending the cash for a full composite stick from the bauer id custom hub.

anyone know where to pick up a erik cole blade, LH? i saw a video on youtube and i'm drooling over that curve. any of the prostock mission blades a clone? just looking for a replacement blade, tapered or standard but without spending the cash for a full composite stick from the bauer id custom hub.

they are on ebay every now n then, i was thinking about picking up one but hes pretty tall and i think they'd be too long for me

Has anyone seen the pro stock Johnson (right handed) it's supposedly a toe curve, but how big? can't find it in pattern db

You can see it here.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/warriorrak.html

I ordered one before I saw the video. Last time I looked they didn't work, so I didn't bother. I was hoping it was going to be a big curve, but it's practically a straight blade. Not sure I'm going to keep it or not. Hindsight's 20/20.

Has anyone seen the pro stock Johnson (right handed) it's supposedly a toe curve, but how big? can't find it in pattern db

The Pattern DB does not have PS curves listed. Also take a look at the afanasenkov curve that TBL has posted here a couple times.

Any one have Big toe curves they want to sell me? perhaps LH blade please (Pm me)

Check out hockeymonkey, they still have a few prostock warrior toe curves.

Just made my first custom toe curves this weekend. Used a heat gun, elbow grease, patience and my deck (call me Mcguyver).

Can post pics and instructions if there is interest.

Just made my first custom toe curves this weekend. Used a heat gun, elbow grease, patience and my deck (call me Mcguyver).

Post it up McGruber :P

imgp1574.th.jpg

Curve on left is After. Curve on right is Before.

Before: Sherwood 950-Tapered Wood blade in Spezza curve. (Slight-Heel, Slight-Open)

Tools: Heatgun (1200/650 Watt; 1000F/750F)

Gap between floorboards of deck (could use a table vice)

Disclaimer: The fumes that came from this process were not pleasant in the slightest. I recommend doing this outdoors or in a well ventilated room.

Remove heel curve (optional)

Used heatgun on the high (1200watt; 1000F) setting and heated the whole blade. Kept the nozzle about 3 inches away and waved from heel to toe and back on both the forehand and backhand side. After about 3 minutes of heating I put the blade flat on the ground forehand side down and slowly applied pressure with my foot (wear a shoe!). Slowly added pressure until the blade was flat on the ground (took about 10 seconds), and left my foot there about a minute until it cooled.

Make the curve you desire

Used heatgun on high setting and heated the blade from mid to toe. Same process as above but only heated 3/4 of the blade as opposed to the whole thing. After about 2 minutes I inserted the blade in the gap between the floor boards of my deck. The gap was about a 3/8" wide and 1" deep. The blade being perpendicular to the floor boards like ___||___ will yield a more closed curve. If its more like ____//___ its gonna be open.

I started with the blade like ___//___ with the toe about 1.5" into the boards. I slowly added pressure toward the forehand side (duh) while still applying heat. This takes patience to avoid cracking and I really took my time. After about a minute of heat I let it cool for about 2 minutes without moving the blade from the slot. I removed the blade and observed the progress.

I then repeated the above process, but this time changed the angle in which the blade was inserted into the gap, and also only put about 1" of the toe into the boards.

This is where the customizing comes into play. If you prefer the closed curves, keep the blade more perpendicular.

I recommend going from heel to toe so the fiberglass wrap moves with the blade (if that makes any sense). When I was curving the blades I observed that the wrap would start to bubble and peel off if I was not careful and patient.

If there was bubbling of the wrap, I used a dremel (sandpaper would work) to smooth the bubbles. I retrospect, I should have maybe added a thin coat of epoxy where the wood was exposed (will do that next time).

After: Toe curve goodness.

You can PM with further questions.

Post it up Pepsuber :P

Fixed that for you there :lol: , and Ovie17 I sent you a PM.

Post it up Pepsuber :P

Fixed that for you there :lol: , and Ovie17 I sent you a PM.

Well played sir, well played.

How about a disclaimer for people who will mess it up and blame you :lol:. Seriously this is tricky business, and I will whole heartedly dissuade you from trying this with composite blades unless you are 100% sure they are OK to lose.