Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
aal

How to order custom Bauer skates

Having shorter height toe caps would require Bauer to make additional molds which they can only use for custom orders, I doubt it’s cost effective, my guess would be they don’t offer this option even to their paid players, even though molds in China are about 5-10 times cheaper then in North America. This also has to do with the area where toes meet the foot being very sensitive, so the potential for blisters is huge on a mass produced skate. I think they would rather make it slightly taller to accommodate more people, not to mention that they also worry about overall esthetics of a skate.

Cheers

Don't tell us what you think or assume, tell us what you know.

If toe cap height is such a big issue for you, I don't see why you couldn't glue a small pad (maybe a piece of neoprene) onto the underside of the top of the toe cap.

This has no impact on custom skates as they are made in St. Jerome, Quebec. In fact on my custom skates I could not get the Reflex tongue as all the toolery is based in Asia.

I just ordered a pair a couple of days ago and I got the reflex tongue (slightly modified to have felt underneath).

One thing I'm still confused on, does Bauer have options for increasing the volume of a custom skate?

Yes. Eyelets can be moved out a little and if necessary a larger size upper can be used.

If toe cap height is such a big issue for you, I don't see why you couldn't glue a small pad (maybe a piece of neoprene) onto the underside of the top of the toe cap.

I already do this (I actually have a pad sewn on to velcro, so I can remove it to dry after skating), but a shorter toe cap would be nice. Not that I have the money for custom skates at the moment anyways, but some day :)

or switch to easton...they have a short (ugly ) toe cap..imo.

One thing I'm still confused on, does Bauer have options for increasing the volume of a custom skate?

Yes, they do. You can upsize the quarters.

This has no impact on custom skates as they are made in St. Jerome, Quebec. In fact on my custom skates I could not get the Reflex tongue as all the toolery is based in Asia.

I ordered customs recently as well with the 3flex tongue. I haven't heard anything from the factory about not having the tongues in house. Also, I'm pretty sure I've seen a pair of custom TO's with those tongues. Bauer should be able to make a custom Total One with a Total One tongue. It would be pretty ridiculous if they couldn't.

My customs came in. Looks like they did a pretty good job on sizing, but until I mold them and try them on ice, I can't say for certain. Sure feels good for out of the box though. Couple annoying things... I asked for fusion steel and they sent me regular LS2. Doesn't even seem like it's the power length. Also, I asked for the retail liner and they put the old grip liner in. Not sure if I really care about that one. Anyone have any feedback on this liner vs. the retail liner.

I ordered a pair for a friend and his didn't even come with the Reflex/3flex tongue. They installed some cheap thin felt tongue with a hard plastic insert. Basically a One95 tongue, but it sure seems thin. Seems like real crap to me. His skates are junior size if that makes a difference. His came with fusion steel, but the runners have no labels on them. It's pretty strange. It doesn't say Tuuk or fusion anywhere. I might post pics later if you guys want to see them...

I'm pretty sure the runners are fusions because they are made out of two materials. The upper part is lighter in colour. I just remembered about 10 mins before I read the above post that they don't make junior total ones. The skates are size 5 with 254mm holders. I guess I just wish that I could have ordered a thicker felt tongue as opposed to the One95 tongue.

Bauer sent my friend some size 6 3Flex tongues for free. He's not sure if he's going to use them as the depth with the current tongues is near perfect.

My customs came in. Looks like they did a pretty good job on sizing, but until I mold them and try them on ice, I can't say for certain. Sure feels good for out of the box though. Couple annoying things... I asked for fusion steel and they sent me regular LS2. Doesn't even seem like it's the power length. Also, I asked for the retail liner and they put the old grip liner in. Not sure if I really care about that one. Anyone have any feedback on this liner vs. the retail liner.

I ordered a pair for a friend and his didn't even come with the Reflex/3flex tongue. They installed some cheap thin felt tongue with a hard plastic insert. Basically a One95 tongue, but it sure seems thin. Seems like real crap to me. His skates are junior size if that makes a difference. His came with fusion steel, but the runners have no labels on them. It's pretty strange. It doesn't say Tuuk or fusion anywhere. I might post pics later if you guys want to see them...

You got custom TOs and they didn't even give you fusion steel? Isn't that one of the bigger selling points of the TOs? I'd DEFINTIELY complain like crazy and get them to send you the proper steel. People seem to like the grip liner so you should be fine there, but still weird that they got it wrong.

I didn't even get the correct size on the first try, so it seems that Bauer's custom department is really inconsistent at best :(

re the liner - I didn't find any differences between the retail & the gripliner (like I posted before I had the exact same swap done on me) - both feel very similar & dry just as fast

I hope you didn't order reinforced eyelets though since Bauer seems to do a hack job on these sticking a rough piece of plastic right underneath the liner. On my pair it only took 2.5 months for it to poke a hole through. Crap!

BTW just with the people I play 2 besides me had to go through the warranty process on T1s for different reasons, so the quality has really LOTS to be desired.

In my opinion definitely a step back from One95 - these were tanks! :(

Yeah my One95's have held up amazingly well compared to my One90's and Vapors of old. My T1's feel solid though too. The fit is amazing. It helps when you've had customs before and you know what you would do different on another pair. The only thing that I was confused about was that my tendon guards seem very stiff. Aren't the tendon guards supposed to flex for full range of motion? Isn't that one of the selling features of the T1? I checked my One95's. They are more flexible, but they are also two years old. I'm not too concerned about it, but I think they should be more flexible. I will have to check a retail pair.

Solarwind, no I didn't get the reinforced eyelets. I was happy with the eyelets on my One95's. Only one went on me after two years and it didn't fully go. I will have it replaced one of these days.

Regarding the 3Flex/Reflex tongue, that was the information I had at the time of ordering. It's moot for me at least as I opted for a double-thick plastic insert.

How close are they coming with the widths in the customs? I've heard good and bad and it made me think that it everall wasn't worth it if you're only going to get an off the shelf fit.

So, I just called my LHS and this is what he said "No, the Bauer rep is too busy with doing a custom order on anybodies feet." Now, this dude is alright but his partner is more understanding and nicer than the owner of the LHS for some odd reason. Maybe it's because I'm there every week trying on a new boot to see what I like and I'm comfortable with. He then goes on to tell me that they ONLY do custom orders on skates that 600-700+ price range. Well that can't be right cause I saw a pair of Vapor X60's on here that go for around 400 + Custom. I'm not sure whether or not to believing him how ever or to just keep calling around to different places to see If I can get a hold of him. I'm a 390lb guy so it's not easy to just FIT into a Reebok4k 11EE (Which I'm trying to sell as seeing it hurts like heel for more than 3 minutes on the ice). Since I'm such a big guy I also need a stiffness that the 4k just doesn't have. I was wondering if maybe they would do a custom order on flexlites or something? I just don't know what to do honestly cause I wear a 11 EE but sometimes I need it a little wider. Hell the most comfortable skate I have ever skated in was a Nike Quest 12 EE (was too big for my foot but I somehow kept skating with it).

I know it's sorta hijacking your thread (sorry about that) But I need some advice on this (yeah I know I'm fat, thanks for telling me. But Hockey is a passion of mine I have had since I was 12)

Sorry that your LHS sucks, but yes, Flexlite can be ordered custom. And an X:60 in the $400 range...no...that's not even cost.

Matter of fact, should be getting the ones I did for a client in a couple of days.

Something that may be of interest to those ordering custom Bauers. I have a pair of 8 C/AA T1's. They are a few weeks old. I compared them to my friends brand new retail T1's which are 8 D/A and his skates appear to be narrower in both the forefoot and heel. I'm really confused about this. I thought the retail supremes were built on an oversized last. What are the customs built on, a super oversized last?

In regards to the cost of the skate, before tacking on the custom charge. Will you always have to pay retail for the skate (so $600 for the X60, for instance) and then add the custom fee, or would it be the going price for the skate (for instance, the retail X60 on sale for $450 at the LHS) and then add the custom on top of that?

Something that may be of interest to those ordering custom Bauers. I have a pair of 8 C/AA T1's. They are a few weeks old. I compared them to my friends brand new retail T1's which are 8 D/A and his skates appear to be narrower in both the forefoot and heel. I'm really confused about this. I thought the retail supremes were built on an oversized last. What are the customs built on, a super oversized last?

The sizing is only a reference; it is a starting point. They are going to go by the traces at the end of the day.

In regards to the cost of the skate, before tacking on the custom charge. Will you always have to pay retail for the skate (so $600 for the X60, for instance) and then add the custom fee, or would it be the going price for the skate (for instance, the retail X60 on sale for $450 at the LHS) and then add the custom on top of that?

It depends on the retailer. There is a cost to the custom skates; the retailer can charge WHATEVER THEY WANT. When I did it, the upcharge was about $75 on top of what the retail skate cost, so I would just charge $75 extra. But if a retailer wants to make money on the upcharge, he's well within his right to.

There's not a set price.

That all being said, totally forgot about this; for instance, a custom Flexlite 4.0 Pro does not fall under the whole "skate price plus +$75" theory. A custom Flexlite 4.0 Pro costs $10 more to a dealer than a custom X:60 does. Bauer restructured their skate prices for 2011. That is pretty much the only model that is like that.

So, I just called my LHS and this is what he said "No, the Bauer rep is too busy with doing a custom order on anybodies feet." Now, this dude is alright but his partner is more understanding and nicer than the owner of the LHS for some odd reason. Maybe it's because I'm there every week trying on a new boot to see what I like and I'm comfortable with. He then goes on to tell me that they ONLY do custom orders on skates that 600-700+ price range. Well that can't be right cause I saw a pair of Vapor X60's on here that go for around 400 + Custom. I'm not sure whether or not to believing him how ever or to just keep calling around to different places to see If I can get a hold of him. I'm a 390lb guy so it's not easy to just FIT into a Reebok4k 11EE (Which I'm trying to sell as seeing it hurts like heel for more than 3 minutes on the ice). Since I'm such a big guy I also need a stiffness that the 4k just doesn't have. I was wondering if maybe they would do a custom order on flexlites or something? I just don't know what to do honestly cause I wear a 11 EE but sometimes I need it a little wider. Hell the most comfortable skate I have ever skated in was a Nike Quest 12 EE (was too big for my foot but I somehow kept skating with it).

I know it's sorta hijacking your thread (sorry about that) But I need some advice on this (yeah I know I'm fat, thanks for telling me. But Hockey is a passion of mine I have had since I was 12)

From my understanding, you can do an order on the flexlites, but I am not sure of the pricing of the skates. Since the X60's are on clearance, you can't expect to pay $100 over for customs. The $100 is going to be over MSRP, not the sale price.

I would say that your LHS may not be the ideal place to interact with if they aren't willing to give you all the options that are out there and a range of prices.

-dave