Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bertuzzi44

Sharpening...

my dad picked up a sharpener a long time ago from the caps, and now the holder for the skate is un-even with the stone, does anyone know where I can get a new one?

have you tried contacting the manufacturer of the sharpener?

His friend was the equipment manager for the capitals, and has had it for like twenty years since buying it from them, so I'm thinking no dice on that one.

In other words, you didn't bother.

I go to boarding school, the sharpener's at home, so no, I did not contact them, or even know who they are. :(

I'm done with school in a week, and will be home, so I guess I can find out who they are then.

I'm home from school and the maker of the sharpener is custom radius, or that's what it says on the little sticker. Any help on a website or contact to them?

just a question on prices.

how much can skate sharpeners range from like the cheapo ones and the proper good ones?

oh and a website that stocks them plz

Here you go. Instead of eating up bandwidth by digging up year old posts and posting useless replies, you could actually try to be helpful.This is where you can find sharpeners.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha have you heard this guy! He gave me a link to Google!!!!!!! :lol:

Simple question and prices do change so i don't know why you have got to be so negative about me asking questions.After all thats what a forum is for

Also i didnt want to then dig up an old topic and then need to ask a question and bring a 2year old topic back up to the top

best bet for a machine is going to be going to he blademaster web page and e-mailing them since price of sharpening machines can range from700 cad just for the table and over 3000 for the air filter. its very costly and very high maintenance

Not only high maintenance, but it's hard to do them at home unless you can afford them, have the place (ventilated) to put it, and you have to know what your doing. The only way I can see it is if your LHS is too far away, the people at your LHS suck or if you sharpen your skates every other time you're out there. Otherwise it isn't that great of an investment.

just a question on prices.

how much can skate sharpeners range from like the cheapo ones and the proper good ones?

oh and a website that stocks them plz

Here you go. Instead of eating up bandwidth by digging up year old posts and posting useless replies, you could actually try to be helpful.This is where you can find sharpeners.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha have you heard this guy! He gave me a link to Google!!!!!!! :lol:

Simple question and prices do change so i don't know why you have got to be so negative about me asking questions.After all thats what a forum is for

Also i didnt want to then dig up an old topic and then need to ask a question and bring a 2year old topic back up to the top

Just a side note, it's not the machine, it's the process and technique. I've seen people with $6000 machines do a crappy job and folks with $700 machines do a sweet job, so don't be focused on price, rather how you can learn to sharpen skates well.

try www.burleysrinksupply.com, they have a bunch of different models for sale.

Well, I've been here for a couple of weeks and I've been assessing the sharpening in the Metro Detroit area. You would think that in a highly-populated area you would find some good sharpeners - nothing can be further than the truth.

There's a guy in the area who is a Maximum Edge franchisee. It's hilarious - I got into a discussion with a customer about him. He's got all of these people's heads gassed up about contouring skates. He takes their height and weight and finds the "optimal" setup for them - which is a good start but far from everything that needs to be evaluated - however, from little kids to adults, he gives them the EXACT same setup - 9/16" and 9'. He puts stickers on the boots indicating it - haven't seen a toe down pitch or anything - just the same radius.

She bought skates from me and was like "I'm going to take it to him so he can profile it." Mind you, she bought a Bauer skate that comes 9' out of the box. I told her that it would be pointless for him to contour it if he is putting the same radius on. She was like "Well, I'll ask him about Bauer coming with a 9'."

I was like "Of course he's not going to tell you that because he wants to take your $25 and call it a day." Problem is my machine at work doesn't have the custom radius setup for it - hopefully they'll be getting it soon.

It's truly amazing - all of the skates in the area have no heels or toes - everyone bananas the blades - including my shop. Need to get them to hit the center of the wheel.

Looks like I have a lot of work ahead of me to educate the masses.

Mind you, she bought a Bauer skate that comes 9' out of the box. I told her that it would be pointless for him to contour it if he is putting the same radius on. She was like "Well, I'll ask him about Bauer coming with a 9'."

I'm guessing that guy only has a 9' bar, so everybody gets 9'. Thats sad.

However, about 80% of new skates right out of the box do not have matched radius or the radius the manufacturer selects. Blades are masssed produced and have manufacturing specification ranges.

You could take a new bauer blade, and put it on a machine to grind a 9' and the machine will likely grind some steel. Point, I'm trying to make is that most are not true 9'. One might be 9.17 and the other 8.72. Radiusing all new skates is a good idea.

I know that they are inconsistent and that radiusing steel out of the box is a good idea, however, for someone who is trying to pick an optimal setup for someone and just giving everyone the same radius shows that he really doesn't know what he is talking about.

A wild west shootout between the old guy and the mysterious stranger riding into town...

I know that they are inconsistent and that radiusing steel out of the box is a good idea, however, for someone who is trying to pick an optimal setup for someone and just giving everyone the same radius shows that he really doesn't know what he is talking about.

Yea, especially giving everyone a 9'. Poor little kids would have no turning ability at all. And the guys with size 13's no speed. It's guys like that who scare folks from getting a radius.

I'm guessing that guy only has a 9' bar, so everybody gets 9'. Thats sad.

Maximum edge members get not regular bars they get templates i.e 7/8,9/10,8-9/9-10. our shop gives everybody a 1/2inch and 9ft radius and then from there adjustments can be made. Think of it as t-blade and how they give a m-13 automatically. its just like a shop giving people a 9ft and a 1/2 or a 9/16th its more of a starting ground and its up to the person using the skatesto tell the worker if they want anything changed after skating on it a few times

Sean - I understand that, but this guy does not adjust. I've seen at least 75 skates from him with the SAME sticker.

Does he print the stickers with the info already on it?

There's another guy who profiles and sharpens in Detroit's western suburbs, he puts everyone in either 11' or 13', never a 9'. And 95% of his sharpenings are 1/2". (He tries to be different by writing everything on the holder in metrics.) So many of these guys who open up their own sharpening shops are just blowing smoke up everyone's asses.